Road noise/comfort Passat v.s. Golf/Jetta/Beetle?

CarlUman

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Touareg
I'm thinking about trading my 2005 Passat GLS TDI for a Golf/Jetta/Beetle TDI but I'm wondering how they ride compared to my Passat. Anyone have/had a Passat previously that can comment on how different the ride/comfort is?

Areas of concern...
Road noise/engine noise (anything from the outside)
Seat comfort (I do have leather)
Ride comfort (bumps in the road or line patchs in blacktop)

I'm guessing that the Jetta will have the less outside noise than Golf or Beetle.

BTW if you tell me they WAY better and are much more comforatable and you just happen to have one to trade me I might be a bit suspicious ;) LOL

Thanks in advance

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Passat quieter than the others.

Road noise depends on the tire tread design. You could get real quiet tires for both cars, but they would not be tires you'd want to drive in your area during the winter.

Seat comfort: Passat wins. You'll have to try them out for yourself though.

Passat has smoother ride due to longer wheel base. This is also influenced by the state of the springs, shocks/struts, tires and tire inflation pressures.

I've ridden in all of them. I would not say there is much difference between the G/J/NB models, though the weight of the boot may give the Jetta a slightly smoother ride (all other things being equal).

I have none to trade nor sell.

CarlUman

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Touareg
Thanks for all the info. I'm sure the Passat is better but thought I check here anyhow. Wondering if I might get someone that said they switch and wished they had not becase ______.

The other reason was to find out about differences in what I was looking at. Driving 45 minutes and 41 miles to work is what it will be used for most so I'm not overally concerned about ride but at the same time I wouldn't enjoy riding in a lumber wagon either.

Now if I can just find something that matchs what I'm looking for.

Thanks

Dana Bartholomew

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2000, satin silver
All things being equal, the Golf can be noisier than the Jetta if you elect to drive with the backseat folded down, which in its up position absorbs minor noise. As a single owner of a '00 Golf coupe, I prefer the backseat down -- with the rear deck left in place -- for better visibility and convenience.

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
I couldn't believe how much room there is in the Passat vs Jetta. Being 6'4" Headroom and legroom is a huge factor in any vehicle. I seriously think the Passat could accomodate someone at 7' without a sunroof. If they bring back the TDI in the Passat I will seriously consider it as my next vehicle... (course that gives VW 6 years to do so...:eek: )

Petesaguytdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Bhw Passat
Made your decission yet ?

I have a 2002 passat 1.8t wagon, I am '6 tall, with somewhat tweaked back that acts up on long drives. Also have a 99.5 jetta tdi.

At highway speed the jetta is quieter due I think mostly to the lower rpm of the diesel. The passat is quiet enough and way more comfortable. The Jetta seats are a lot firmer and as such if you are tall do not fit the shape of a taller person. The Passat seats suck you in and have lumbar support adjustment which the Jetta is lacking. I can drive hours longer in the Passat.

Both are near stock handling wise and can't complain about either, feels like there is a bit more understeer on the jetta.

Both are fun in their own way to drive, the Passat is chipped to 210hp so with that the fun factor and comfort beat out the Jetta, but can't beat the economy of the tdi. Personally if the tdi Passat meats your power requirements I would stick with that. I would like to have both a tdi passat and a 1.8t Passat for our family rides. We bought the Passat after the Jetta as the timing worked out that way.

Oh and one more thing, try throwing your mtn bike in the back of your Jetta, just won't happen.

Hope that helps ya in some way. Pete

Last edited: