Operation Rabbit Rescue/TDI swap

sccaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
96TDI Passat, 1.6 81d caddy, 86d golf, 82d rabbit, 81ALH caddy, 82 Westy
Thanks. Carpet is in, going to put in the seats, headliner, cards this weekend, hopefully. Maybe paint dash too. I had to change up the intercooler/fans/radiator/condenser setup. Thought it might work, way too stacked in there for adequate air flow. Way too close. Looking at moving the intercooler or going AWIC. May mock some of it too if I have time.

sccaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
Headliner, cards, seats in, working on cluster, AWIC. Carpet fit better than I anticipated. How about that red dash? Need to paint it
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

sccaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
Trouble shooting Question: I keep noticing the needle on the boost gauge dances like crazy at 20 psi up to 25 psi, under heavy acceleration, feels like it does not hold the boost,and seems to flutter, but does if I roll the throttle on lil slower, seems to hold it. Not sure if is a tuning prob, or something is out of adjustment. We did put on a 3 bar MAP sensor, adjusted the IQ for more lean and tried hammer mod. Also while cruising at 55 or so the boost will surge up for 3 sec or so then go back down. Malone has sent diff tunes to try. Hope I'm describing it decently. Any suggestions as to what this may be? Background: The truck has an 02 ALH with a 17/22, 764's, and Malone 4. Ill try and post a video of the fluttering.

sccaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
[/URL][/IMG]
fluttering is near the end.

Last edited:

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
Trouble shooting Question: I keep noticing the needle on the boost gauge dances like crazy at 20 psi up to 25 psi, under heavy acceleration, feels like it does not hold the boost,and seems to flutter, but does if I roll the throttle on lil slower, seems to hold it. Not sure if is a tuning prob, or something is out of adjustment. We did put on a 3 bar MAP sensor, adjusted the IQ for more lean and tried hammer mod. Also while cruising at 55 or so the boost will surge up for 3 sec or so then go back down. Malone has sent diff tunes to try. Hope I'm describing it decently. Any suggestions as to what this may be? Background: The truck has an 02 ALH with a 17/22, 764's, and Malone 4. Ill try and post a video of the fluttering.
Put a restriction on the hose feeding the boost gauge. I put a small 10cm long tie-wrap tale inside of my hose and the dancing / buzzing needle went away.

sccaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok thanks Hansenwerk, I'll try that soon and see what she does. Makes sense.
Been working on this recently.
[/URL][/IMG]

sccaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
How she sits tucked in.
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

sccaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
Hansenwerk, I tried the zip tie in the line, helped move the needle smoother but still got the dance at the end but was not quite as bad.

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
Hansenwerk, I tried the zip tie in the line, helped move the needle smoother but still got the dance at the end but was not quite as bad.
All you really need is just a pin-hole to get an air-pressure reading. You are still picking up too much "noise" from the intake.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Some people use an aquarium filter, others will stuff a piece of cotton ball in the line to stop the buzzing. I'm using the filter.

I bought one of the inserts to do the same and all it is, is a vacuum coupler that looks like it was melted closed, then a pinhole added.

-Todd

sccaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
Good idea also, Will give those a shot. Todd that makes me think of a "boost increase" valve that PPE sells for the Duramax, but it goes inline off actuator. It is unrestricted on one end and pinhole on other end. Is it like that? Yesterday I drove it for a few hrs, and noticed it let off at 22-23psi consistently. I'd like it to hold on and build to 25-26+.

Last edited:

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Todd that makes me think of a "boost increase" valve that PPE sells for the Duramax, but it goes inline off actuator. It is unrestricted on one end and pinhole on other end. Is it like that?

Not quite sure how that would increase boost, but it's exactly as we discribed. Kind of embarrassed that I paid $6 for it, but I was curious....

-Todd

sccaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks 1001 lb-ft., Has been a long long project. Glad u like it.
I found something that may work on the boost line, But car is revving to only 3k when boost flutters and tapers off.

sccaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
Bed was not level across the rails for the Oak planks, so i got some .75" cold rolled and treaded them for 5/16" button heads. Then I'll weld the strips to the bed and bolt the wood and polished strips down. I can them remove the individual boards to access the top of fuel tank, fuel filter, or air suspension components.
[/URL][/IMG]

sccaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
[/URL][/IMG]
Grill needs to be repainted also, no cracks so far.
[/URL][/IMG]