WL: 1986 samurai mtdi swap

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Ford F150 extended shock towers in the front, 45° upper mount in the rear(I love mine).

Run the Toyota PS setup but you'll have to fab your own bracket. Don't forget the brace. May want to think K-Link as well what that height.

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
ahu mtdi samurai swap, 1991 jetta ecodiesel
Ford F150 extended shock towers in the front, 45° upper mount in the rear(I love mine).

Run the Toyota PS setup but you'll have to fab your own bracket. Don't forget the brace. May want to think K-Link as well what that height.
What do you mean by 45 degree upper mount? As in, angle the shocks? If so, that is what I was planning on doing. For steering I am using an ott hi-steer from trail tough. Might possibly do p/s down the road, for now I just need to get it to drive.

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
This thread is really old, and I wish it had taken off better, but for some reason nobody on here really seems to appreciate it very much. However, I feel it needs to be brought back up, so I will be posting as much as I can from the last checkpoint through today.

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
Used an AAZ exhaust mani and had to make a little adapter plate to fit the ahu turbo on.

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
Acme adapters is great, but they charge over $200 for the fancy angled filter adapter for the 1.9 motor. Never!! I said, and picked this up for $35. It's off a 1.8t AEB b5 passat. Fits absolutely perfectly on the 1.9 block.

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
Samurai oil pressure switch fits perfect in the VW holes. And the sunpro's I took from the donor TDI, boost and water temp.

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
Belt setup, using 1.6 mk2 pulley. GM alternator, and water pump pulley off a mk2 gasser because I didn't have the diesel pulley.

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
Hope this works for the temp gauge. I filled all the glow plug holes with JB weld, and inserted a brass fitting to hold the temp sender for the sunpro guage. Forgot I had to have it grounded, so I put a piece of wire with an eyelet under it and grounded it that way.

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
Wasn't sure what to do for an oil feed line, but for temporary purposes I cut the stock hardline, reamed it clean, installed a compression fitting to a npt, to a hydraulic 1/4" ID hose. It fits great. I plan on having one made from stainless braided soon. And a crappy engine pay picture.

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
I cut the stock ahu turbo pipe, and had a guy tig it for me. And where my sunpros are located. My first try at turbo piping. Intercooler will be added down the road once I find a good sized one, and how I want to route it.

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
That just about brings us to present. A ton more has happened, but it's not tdi related. Boost piping, radiator, air filter setup can be seen here.

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Jetta,94 Golf drag car 585bhp,Samurai buggy BHW 300bhp,97 Ram cummins
I only found a passat oil filter adapter after I had my swap done :mad:.I ended up getting the acme one.Be sure to support the turbo oil line well to keep it from causing an issue.Nice work!

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
Great progress. My kind of swap!:)
Thanks, this has actually been 18 months in the making, hopefully I can get it going on the first try without having to rebuild a bunch of stuff.
I only found a passat oil filter adapter after I had my swap done :mad:.I ended up getting the acme one.Be sure to support the turbo oil line well to keep it from causing an issue.Nice work!
Yeah I stumbled across it, and am glad I am. I wish acme would advertise it more that it works, but the more they sell the more money they make. And good idea for the support. Thanks.

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
Did glow plugs over the past few days. I have it set up on a timer relay, as opposed to a thermostatic one. I think it will work fine for what I'm doing, if not, I can add the thermostatic setup from an IDI later. Timed relay controls the solenoid coil, the solenoid coil feeds the fuse block, and each plug is separately fused.

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
Your glow plug solution seems like a lot of work that could have been done by using a pre-TDI glow plug relay form a Golf or a Jetta. TDIs don't typically need / use glow plugs until the temperature gets around freezing. These relays are also going to be a lot neater looking to use and offer better water protection.

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
Your glow plug solution seems like a lot of work that could have been done by using a pre-TDI glow plug relay form a Golf or a Jetta. TDIs don't typically need / use glow plugs until the temperature gets around freezing. These relays are also going to be a lot neater looking to use and offer better water protection.
This is true....I'm investigating how I would go about doing a setup using the stuff though, because they use temp probes in the water right? To determine how long to heat them. I will probably redo it later down the road. The motor starts good without the plugs anyways, so yeah. I just figured with it being cold here I would do a setup just in case I get it out before warm weather.

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
What don't you like about the M pump?
-Todd
I haven't even got to drive it yet, I am just thinking about it for the fact that I can run various tunes, for power, eco, etc, and also more easily put a vnt turbo setup on.

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
Drove this for the first time the other night. Running about 15 psi, pulls pretty good. Appears that the head gasket is leaking at the back side of the block though :( so I need to start taking stuff back apart and check it all out.