The People's Porsche

X@V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B7 A4 V6 2.5TDI, MK2 frankentdi 2.0 16V TDI PD
I could compare when I'll receive my BKD is you want... I have a spare block here (from an ALH but it's same as ASZ/ARL bolt pattern)

INA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2.5 TDI
For what you are trying to do , I would go with the remote oil filter kit.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Stayed late after work today and diced up a 01M case.

I have some more cleanup to do.

Before I get too crazy, I need to get an 02M throwout bearing and take some more measurements.

I cut it 1.5" long so I have the ability to push the motor forward in the engine bay, I have to take some measurements and see what kind of clearance I have on the tandem pump.

I discovered my new favorite tool - Milwaukee porta band. Should have gotten that instead of the Sawzall

Last edited:

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
I think that's quite possibly one of the coolest pics I've seen in a while haha! Never thought of that option, should work perfectly!

I'm sure I have a used 02m slave or two laying around. What measurements do you need or do you want the whole thing?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I think that's quite possibly one of the coolest pics I've seen in a while haha! Never thought of that option, should work perfectly!

I'm sure I have a used 02m slave or two laying around. What measurements do you need or do you want the whole thing?
Finally, a good use for an 01M :D

I'd love to have the whole slave, if you come across one, the thickness would be a good dimension, mounting face to the throwout face that contacts the pressure plate. I know I need ~3" from fully compressed to the mounting face of the trans(measured off an 02J). I believe the depth of the pump flange on this is 120mm or around that.

Thanks

turbo johan

Veteran Member
Really great project!
Someone told me about your project topic here.
I'm doing the same conversion at the moment :D
Didn't thought there were more people that crazy.. :rolleyes:
I'll make a topic sometime about mine.
Here's a pic:

Keep up the good work!

Johan

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
Finally, a good use for an 01M :D
That's exactly what I was thinking!

The first car I bought was a 1978 Porsche 924 ($1000, paid too much), with the terrible Audi 2.0 and VW cooling system. The car handled spectacularly well... all it was missing was a 200hp diesel. Keep up the good work!

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Nice Project Johann!

I see a stock motor mount and motor support bracket there.

I sent you an e-mail.

I suddenly feel a little more motivated.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Great project! You know, if you get a CNC program to make a bellhouse out of the 01M case, and a method to make a braket/clutch release mechanism to attach it to the torque tube, we could see a massive resurrection of many old 924/944/968 (and maybe even a 928 or two!). We have an almost endless supply of otherwise useless 01M cases!

I am interested to see how that turns out. That chassis is an excellent platform. Now I wish I had all those early 944s with mashed valves that were simply left to rot because the owner's that though they could not afford frequent timing belt changes found out they REALLY could not afford a valve job. Shame so many otherwise nice cars got scrapped. :(

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I still think I'm gonna get LOTS of flack from the Porsche guys for doing this :p

I think a 928 would need a V6 TDI.

I still might use the 012 5spd trans I have for the bell housing. Its a shame to dice up a perfectly good trans.

The 944 bay is about 4" narrower than a B5 engine bay - just between the frame rails. There isn't the extra room on the sides either.

Jon

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
OK stupid question...so I apologize if it's already been addressed but what starter do you plan on using?...the auto starter will not work with any manual flywheel and the manual starter probably wont work in the 01M bell ....different offset/smaller gear IIRC....very cool project BTW, looking forward to more updates!

Last edited:

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
No prob, its been kind of covered in one of the first posts. I don't plan on using the MKIV starter setup at all. It will be a cut and weld job that turns out set up like a longitudinal shown Post 31

Just sent RyanP the rest of my life savings for the Firad +160% injectors on PD150 bodies, and a set of black top lifters. The set from this engine will be going up for sale soon.

Jon

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I am tempted to but it doesn't deserve to be chopped up.

When I started, I figured the 02J setup would be a lot easiest, then I ran into the 01M case and got the idea to use the 02M throwout bearing. I'm not sure I want to scrap out my 012 just yet. I'll explore this one a little further to see if it will be worth using, otherwise I can still use it or find another one.

TurboJohann sent me some pics of his, it is what he used and doesn't look as difficult as I thought it would be to make it work. The slave cylinder is kind of weird how it mounts but probably wouldn't be a problem. Originally I thought about bolting or welding a plate on the back of it, but it would end up right in the center of the diff housing. After seeing how Johan did his, it shouldn't be too difficult.

I also recently discovered how easy it is to move the motor forward in the engine bay by just lengthening the shaft coupler that connects the shaft to the transmission input shaft. I'm moving it forward about 2", possibly more.

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
I am tempted to but it doesn't deserve to be chopped up.

When I started, I figured the 02J setup would be a lot easiest, then I ran into the 01M case and got the idea to use the 02M throwout bearing. I'm not sure I want to scrap out my 012 just yet. I'll explore this one a little further to see if it will be worth using, otherwise I can still use it or find another one.

TurboJohann sent me some pics of his, it is what he used and doesn't look as difficult as I thought it would be to make it work. The slave cylinder is kind of weird how it mounts but probably wouldn't be a problem. Originally I thought about bolting or welding a plate on the back of it, but it would end up right in the center of the diff housing. After seeing how Johan did his, it shouldn't be too difficult.

I also recently discovered how easy it is to move the motor forward in the engine bay by just lengthening the shaft coupler that connects the shaft to the transmission input shaft. I'm moving it forward about 2", possibly more.
I've got a 02M bell housing case with a busted piece where the mount goes.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
mmm tempting. 02M is a magnesium alloy, not sure how to relocate the starter.
240mm flywheel would be nice!

I'll send you a pm!

Kriesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I still think I'm gonna get LOTS of flack from the Porsche guys for doing this :p

Jon
If you get any flack, just tell them Ferdinand Porsche founded both the VW and the Porsche companies... You're just going back to the roots and combining both!

Last edited:

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
Nahh the 944/924 is half VW..

I still might use the 012 5spd trans I have for the bell housing. Its a shame to dice up a perfectly good trans.
Might want to consider an 01E bellhousing, I have plenty of those I can donate. Starter goes in on engine side and you get a 240mm clutch.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
That would be awesome Scott! PM a shipping quote to me!

I once saw a sticker on a 944 that said "May contain Volkswagen and Audi"

markward

Veteran Member
TDI
82 Vanagon and 2011 JSW
Wouldn't it have made more sense to have it running and reliable before spending your money on engine upgrades? Neat project, but most of us driving completed conversions know how much work it is just to get it running and reliable. Just a thought.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Wouldn't it have made more sense to have it running and reliable before spending your money on engine upgrades? Neat project, but most of us driving completed conversions know how much work it is just to get it running and reliable. Just a thought.
That was kind of the thought, at least originally. Some of the things I need to do to get it running at all require extensive modification, to the point where it makes sense to just do certain parts of it from the beginning and not do it again.

The injectors definitely could have waited, however I wasn't sure if I'd be able to get my hands on some that size by the time I need them. Initially I plan to run only a single turbo, with this I wouldn't need rods but I think I'll do them anyway.