Speed limits across the US are on the rise! Up-to-date state-to-state info & news...

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
Bill to increase speed limit to 75 mph passes Washington House

Bill to increase interstate speed limits to 75 mph passes Washington House Monday.

Under this bill I-90 in eastern Washington would be posted @ 75. Other freeways in the state could also be allowed to raise the limit to 75 under this bill if it becomes law......

Bill to increase speed limit to 75 mph passes Washington House

Drivers may soon be able to legally drive a bit faster in parts of Eastern Washington.

A bill sponsored by Rep. Joe Schmick, R-Colfax, that could raise the speed limit on some rural highways, passed the House 78-19 on Monday.

House Bill 2181 would instruct the state Department of Transportation to look into raising the speed limit to 75 mph from 70 mph on parts of Interstate 90 and, possibly, other highways. The bill says it wants to reduce travel times for people without compromising safety.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Great post! Thanks Waltz

Great post! Thanks Waltz

referencing post 800, we are left with the fact that anyone driving in area whom decides to drive with the flow of traffic is still "going over" by 10-15mph, thanks bureaucrats.

Mr. Steve Doner....
, former Illinois Chapter Coordinator National Motorists Association, addressed the Board.

(Noted here: Mr. Steve Doner, former Illinois Chapter Coordinator National Motorists Association, addressed the Board.) claims this to be official testimony. From page 3 here.
Testimony for the Illinois Tollway Board Meeting December 18, 2014

Madam Chairman and members of the board, My name is Thad Peterson, and I retired from the Michigan Department of State Police in early 2013, after 25 years of service to the citizens of Michigan.

During the last 10 years of my career with the State Police I served as the commanding officer of the Traffic Services Section.

Where one of our main focus areas together with the Department of Transportation, County Road, Commissions, and elected officials of all levels, was to correct hundreds of artificially low speed limits across the state.

The speed limit corrections implemented during my tenure in traffic services (mostly increases of up to 15 miles per hour) impacted millions of vehicle miles traveled per day.

Over that same time frame, Michigan’s traffic fatality numbers plummeted, by about a third.

In conjunction with my counterparts, I was recognized for those efforts with two Governor’s Traffic Safety Awards for Outstanding Contributions to Traffic Safety.

Many of these corrections were on urban freeways, typically correcting under-posted speed limits of 55 miles per hour to 70 miles per hour. 70 was the nearest multiple of 5 miles per hour to the 85th percentile speed, and closely matched the prevailing, safe traffic speeds on these freeways.

In all cases, we conducted after-studies to determine the effect of the changes, and to see if we needed to revise or reverse them. Safety was our overriding concern.

Despite our openness to adjusting our engineering changes or even completely reversing them if necessary, we found that our results were consistent with the long standing national studies on speed limit establishment:

• No 85th percentile speeds increased by any significant amount, and some actually decreased after increasing the speed limit 15 MPH.

• Overall, the crash rates on the freeways in question trended downward, and our fatality rate declined strongly statewide.

• Rush hour traffic congestion on the urban freeway segments we corrected by speed limit increases, was dramatically reduced or eliminated.

• Reduced statistical variance measured in the traffic speeds, matched the overall impression of greater vehicle speed uniformity, with reduced conflicts between vehicles and a more pleasant driving environment as a result.

• The ONLY empirical measure that changed dramatically was a huge increase in compliance with the new speed limits.
As you would expect from these results, we never had to roll back any of the speed limit changes we made. With continued after-studies now many years after the changes, the results remain the same.

To summarize the dilemma related to speed limit changes, perceptions and expectation simply don’t match with the results.

People worry that vehicles/drivers will increase travel speeds by the amount of the speed limit increase.

The best research solidly refutes this assertion, and in the hundreds of the road segments where we increased the speed limit up to 15 miles per hour, traffic travel speeds never increased significantly.

Travel speeds are made more CONSISTENT across the board, which is why crashes are normally reduced, and the crashes that do occur, do NOT tend to involve higher speeds than they did prior to the speed limit increase. The result is INCREASED SAFETY.

Road authorities are often concerned about an engineering factor called “Design Speed.” Interestingly, when citing this concern, they miss the point that if the speed limit is far below normal travel speeds for that segment of the roadway.

They have usually already failed to design for the prevailing speeds at which traffic is traveling SAFELY.

Design speed is a highly misused and misunderstood topic that should not deter road authorities from maximizing traffic safety through the use of optimal speed limits.

Upward speed limit corrections open the door for posting ADVISORY signs where road conditions warrant them, while increasing compliance with the speed limit.

Artificially low speed limits, on the other hand, incite disregard for traffic controls as a whole, and DON’T allow for some advisory signs that drivers may really need in some cases to alert them to potentially hazardous design features of the roadway.

As you can see, there is much more to this extremely important, and somewhat counter-intuitive topic than time allows in this forum.

I am more than happy to answer any questions you have of me, and I thank you very much for your time and your consideration of this topic that is of such great importance to the safety of your constituents and road users.

Respectfully submitted,
Thad V. Peterson, F/Lt., Retired
Michigan Department of State Police
hopefully this is all easy to follow. we still be screwed, but now we will be doing 10-15 over versus the prior 15-20. good job guys:rolleyes:

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Rotary---thanks for cleaning up my previous post, I had the "pinwheel" of sloth last night and just did not have the patience to deal with it. I will just go back and delete it, for anyone interested, the testimony linked above is from the comments section. I obviously have no way to verify that the Steve Doner referenced in the Board Minutes is the same person commenting to the Daily Herald article, but also have no reason to believe them not to be the same. Thanks again.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Less than two weeks ago I drove a section of US 97 ... Klamath Falls to Redmond. I had the cruise set at 68 MPH most of the way, and I passed very few vehicles. However, I was passed by far more. Could I have increased my speed by 2 MPH and still have been driving safely? Absolutely. But, since Oregon is the western "slow zone", I really don't expect to see speed limit increases any time soon.
I know this section of road very well. 68 MPH is very brave on a road that is posted 55 MPH. Back in the 70's as a kid I can't recall how many times we sat in a traffic jam because of a head on collision, or witnessed deer carnage. The road was then 55 MPH, and rightfully so. Since then, ODOT has done a great job adding passing lanes and creating a buffer from the shoulder of the road. Bacn in the day, dense trees were just 10-15 feet off of the shoulder, leading to tons of deer kill.

This road could easily be 60, or 65 MPH in areas now. My problem with that is the road where I have posted my highest MPG's in almost everyone of my vehicles, including 60 MPG in the Jetta! I attribute this to very few elevation changes and slow posted speed limit. (I usually put the cruise at 58-60)

I heard that Oregon is considering upping the speed limit on Eastern parts of I-84. I haven't followed the legislation, but it would nice to see a reasonable limit in this state.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No More Separate Speed Limits For Trucks, Cars In Ark.

Arkansas's split truck car speed limit to end tomorrow raising all traffic to 70 mph.....

No More Separate Speed Limits For Trucks, Cars In Arkansas staring Monday March 16, 2015.....

New speed limits for big-rig trucks take effect Monday when Highway Department crews fan out around the state to take down the old signs.

The speed limit for trucks will now be the same as it is for cars in Arkansas—70 miles-an-hour on most interstates. Since 1996, trucks traveling in Arkansas have had a speed limit of 65 miles-an-hour, five miles-an-hour slower than passenger vehicles.

Highway Department Spokesman Danny Straesle said that caused congestion because trucks were unable to pass one another, stacking up cars wanting to go faster behind them.

The state Highway Commission voted the change in last Wednesday, but today is the day the old signs will actually be removed.

Straesle emphasized the posted speed limit is still the authority in any given area until the sign is removed.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wisconsin lawmakers have hit the gas pedal on 70 mph speed limit increase bill

Update on passage of 70 mph bill yesterday.....

Subscription required

Wisconsin lawmakers have hit the gas pedal on a speed limit increase bill that would increase the maximum speed limit on some state highways and freeways.

The state Assembly approved the bill on a 76-22 vote Tuesday. The bill allows the Department of Transportation to increase speed limits to 70 mph in approved areas, up from the current 65 mph limit.

Opponents said increasing speed limits is too dangerous. Rep. Dana Wachs, an Eau Claire Democrat, said he would not support the bill because it could increase deaths on Wisconsin roadways. Rep. John Spiros, a Manitowoc Republican, warned commercial vehicles such as semi-trailers should have a lower speed limit. But their concerns fell on deaf ears.

The measure goes next to the state Senate.
70 mph limit up for vote today in the Wisconsin legislature......

subscription required.............

Wis. lawmakers to vote on speed limit increase to 70 mph today......

Wisconsin lawmakers are set to vote on a bill that would green light increasing the state speed limit to 70 mph on some highways and freeways.

The bill up for a vote Tuesday in the state Assembly allows the Department of Transportation to increase speed limits to 70 mph in approved areas, up from the current 65 mph limit.

An Assembly Transportation Committee passed the measure on a 12-1 vote this month. Committee members rejected an amendment that would have established a lower speed for commercial vehicles.

The measure must also pass the Senate and be signed by Gov. Scott Walker before becoming law.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Rural SD stretches of I-29 & I-90 will see a limit increase starting April 1

South Dakota now the 5th state to have a 80 mph limit law on the books! State will see a limit increase on I-29 & I--90 starting on April 1.

Head of the state's State Transportation department, Transportation Secretary Darin Bergquist said,

DOT work crews will be busy removing the current 75 mph signs and putting up new 80 mph signs along I-29 and I-90 in the two weeks ahead of the April 1st date when the new limit takes effect across the state.

subscription required........

80 mph speed limit, gas tax hike signed into law

Gov. Dennis Daugaard signed a state transportation funding bill Tuesday that's expected to raise tens of millions of dollars for road and bridge projects through a gas tax increase and other fees and assessments.

It also raises the maximum speed limit on South Dakota interstates to 80 mph. Most of the measure's provisions will go into effect April 1.

State Transportation Secretary Darin Bergquist said work crews will be busy removing the current 75 mph signs and putting up new 80 mph signs along I-29 and I-90 in the two weeks ahead ahead of the April 1st date when the new limit takes effect across the state.....

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
SD Highway Patrol Set To Enforce New Speed Limit

South Dakota highway patrol says they will enforce the old limit until the new law takes effect.

Then they will vigorously enforce the new 80 mph limit once it takes effect on April 1.......

SD Highway Patrol Set To Enforce New Speed Limit

SIOUX FALLS, SD -A big message South Dakota Highway Patrol Captain Alan Welsh wants drivers to remember is that as of now, the speed limit hasn't changed.

"People need to understand that until April 1st, the speed limit is still 75 miles per hour and after April 1st, anybody pushing it over 80 mph is in violation and shouldn't be upset if there's enforcement taken," Capt. Welsh said.

Senate Bill 1 will soon bump up the top speed on the Interstates to 80 mph. There are some questions about whether this new speed will increase the number of crashes in the state, but Capt. Welsh says he can look back to the last speed limit change for evidence against that point.

"I will say that when the speed limit went from 65 to 75, there was a lot of concern at that time, and I haven't seen a huge difference, to be honest with you," Capt. Welsh said.

That doesn't mean the risk for a crash will go down, either.

"There's no doubt the faster you go, the longer your stopping distance. So, back off. Don't follow somebody as closely as you would at 55 miles per hour," Capt. Welsh said.

Capt. Welsh does say that this change may take some getting used to for some drivers, just like it did when the speed was increased to 75.

"People are going to drive at the speed they're comfortable with, and when it changed from 65 to 75, it actually seemed to take quite awhile before we saw people driving at 75 miles per hour," Capt. Welsh said.

The rules of staying safe on the road don't change even though the speed limit will. Keeping your eyes on the road and being aware of your surroundings will be the best bet in making the adjustment.

"If they're within the law and the law says you can do 80 miles per hour, I don't have any problem with people going 80 miles per hour, but I would like to see them paying attention, not distracted and wearing their seat belt," Capt. Welsh said.

Capt. Welsh also knows that people like to push the speed limit slightly above what's shown on the sign. He says that even if you're just a few miles per hour over the limit, you shouldn't be angry if you're pulled over for speeding.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Committee Passes Bill To Boost Max Nevada Speed To 80 MPH

Nevada speed limit increase bill has much support in the legislature and by the people, but not in the governor's office...

On another site they had a poll with over 10,000 votes 63 % for the limit increase passage.....

Can't Drive 85? Nevada Bill Sparks Debate About Safe Speed Limits

As the Legislature continues to speed through its biannual session, one senate bill is attracting some attention.

Senate Bill 2 would allow the Department of Transportation to raise the maximum speed limit on Nevada highways from 75 to 85 miles per hour.

The bill’s sponsor State Sen. Don Gustavson told KNPR’s State of Nevada he wants the speed limit raised because neighboring states have higher limits. He said Utah has seen an 11 percent drop in crashes on the roads where the higher speed limits are in place.

“What this bill to really do is let people drive legally at the speeds they’re already driving,” Gustavson said.

He said the legislation is written broadly to give NDOT the chance to perform safety studies on roads around the state.

Update March 19,2015.......Committee Passes Bill To Boost Max Nevada Speed To 80 MPH

A Senate committee has passed a bill that would allow a higher maximum speed on some Nevada highways.

The Senate Transportation Committee unanimously passed SB2 on Tuesday. It now heads to the Senate floor.

The bill originally called for a top speed of 85 mph, but Republican bill sponsor Sen. Don Gustavson asked that the limit be lowered to 80 mph because some people were uncomfortable with the higher speed.

Existing Nevada law allows a top speed of 75 mph. Gustavson said raising speed limits would help truckers and cut down on travel fatigue for all drivers.

A number of police agencies and the state transportation department testified against the bill and said it could increase fatal crashes.

Only Utah and Texas have speed limits exceeding 75 miles per hour.

*Correction: The original headline for this article has been changed to reflect changes approved by the Nevada Senate Transportation Committee to the original bill.

March 18, 12 A.M. A Nevada Senate committee voted unanimously Tuesday to let the Nevada Department of Transportation increase maximum speed limits to 85 miles per hour in rural areas of the state.

The Nevada Department of Transportation says the higher proposed speed limit would apply to rural areas on highways like I-80. Republican Senator Dan Gustavson is sponsoring the bill. His district is rural.

“Traffic generally drives about 80-85 anyway. Between 80 and 85 and a large percentage of them do and it is done safe,” Gustavson says.

0318-nv-speed-meetingA Nevada Senate committee Tuesday voted to let the Nevada Dept. of Transportation raise the speed limit on rural highways to 85 mph. (Ky Plaskon / Capital Public Radio)

But drivers like Marjeana Lampson say people will just keep pushing the speed limit. “If you raise it to 85, they will be going 95. At that point and that is dangerous.”

Lampson says rural highways hold hazards like horses and high winds. Central Lyon County Fire Protection District Chief John Gillenwater, says boredom is another problem. “People day dream and then drift off the road and then they overcorrect and they end up crashing,” Gillenwater says.

And getting off the boring road faster is why some drivers like Tracy Hutmen support a higher speed limit. “Just because it is so rural out here and it takes so long to get anywhere,” Hutmen says.

He trusts NDOT to increase speed limits where it makes sense. But NDOT’s Sean Server says the only “positive” to the bill is that the agency gets to decide when and where to increase the speed and right now it does not have an a appetite for more speed.

“We think it sends the wrong message of if we are out there preaching safety, that if we are in favor of the bill, raising the speed limit goes opposed to our philosophy,” Server says.

If the speed limit increase does pass, The Department will study if, and, or where drivers might be able to safely push the pedal closer to the metal.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Douglas County Georgia adjusting to speed limit increase to 70 mph on I-20

limit went from 65 to 70 on part of I-20 in Georgia.......

Neighbor Newspapers.........

Douglas County Georgia adjusting to speed limit increase to 70 mph on I-20

Read more: Neighbor Newspapers - Douglas County adjusting to speed limit increase on I 20

The county commission is planning a public hearing April 7 on a proposed ordinance to allow Douglas to make adjustments to radar devices for higher I-20 speed limits.

The Georgia Department of Transportation has decided to increase the speed limit from 65 to 70 mph for this 13-mile stretch of I-20 running through Douglas County, said Brandi Peck, program delivery division manager with the Douglas County Department of Transportation.

Peck said a county ordinance on increasing the speed limit is needed so the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office can legally adjust its radar speed detection device, commonly called a radar gun, to reflect the new posted speed limit.

The state is presently installing new signs to reflect the change.

“I don’t see this will be a problem for Douglas County motorists using I-20 as we are strictly following the state’s required change,” Peck said.

Douglas County Transportation Director Randy Hulsey said the state has done the appropriate studies and evaluations and it feels confident an increase in the speed limit to 70 mph is appropriate.

“The public hearing is part of the process Douglas County has to follow to modify our ordinance to enforce the speed limit,” he said.

Douglas County resident Bobby Robinson said that he was aware of the change in the posted speed limit but believes it should remain at 65 mph.

“Now that I am retired, I just travel on 1-20 occasionally,” he said. “However, I have always felt the 65 mph speed limit was sufficient and they should leave it at 65.”

Robinson said he believes the speed limit of 65 has not caused any traffic problems.

Douglas County Commissioner Kelly Robinson said he is reserving comment on the issue until he hears from residents at the public hearing.

However, he said when one is traveling west along I-20 and crosses the Chattahoochee River, the area seems to “drop off to a more semi-rural environment” in comparison to the Cobb County section.

“Proceeding west on I-20, the further a motorist goes in that direction, the area becomes even more rural,” Kelly Robinson said. “With that area being more rural, it is probably appropriate to have a higher speed limit setting.”

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
75 mph limit progresses in Ohio, easily passing the senate....

Now all that needed to become law is a working out of differences between the passed house and senate versions of the bill in a conference next week......
At least in Ohio we needn't be concerned about 75mph giving people the freedom to run at 85 mph (like MI). In OH 75 will mean you may be able to get away with 79, but they'll ticket you if they clock you at 80...;)

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wyoming two lane limit to 70 mph under passed bill

Two laws have passed the Wyoming legislature which could effect travel across the state. All that is needed for them to become law is a signature from the governor......

If signed making these bills law the two lane highway limit across the sate will default to 70 mph where WyomingDOT deems it to be safe..... And the penalties for exceeding the now posted 80 mph will be adjusted to match what was the penalty for exceeding 75 mph before the limit increase......

If signed by the governor Senate File 95 will allow the Wyoming Department of Transportation to set the maximum speeds for two-lane state highways from 65 to 70 mph. But a WYDOT study will be required before any changes occur.

If signed by the governor House Bill 181, beginning July 1, will lower the fines for those caught speeding on a 80 mph interstate highway. The change will bring the fee schedule into line with the state’s penalties for 75 mph highways.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Pyke: Oberweis, tollway showdown emerging over 70 mph on the turnpikes

Political fight may be about to break out over the turnpike authority's effort to subvert the intentions of the law that passed on the coming limit increases.....

Oberweis says the limit by law is required to rise to 70 unless the authority can come up with real data to say otherwise.......

subscription required.........

Pyke: Oberweis, tollway showdown emerging over 70 mph on the turnpikes

55 mph speed limit sign could be gone on I-88 just west of Midwest Road, if the Illinois tollway has its way. The tollway wants to increase the speed limit to 60 mph between I-290 and Route 31. After Route 31, it would go to 65 mph.

A 55 mph speed limit sign could be gone on I-88 just west of Midwest Road, if the Illinois tollway has its way. The tollway wants to increase the speed limit to 60 mph between I-290 and Route 31. After Route 31, it would go to 65 mph.

A 55 mph speed limit sign could be gone on I-88 just west of Midwest Road, if the Illinois tollway has its way. The tollway wants to increase the speed limit to 60 mph between I-290 and Route 31. After Route 31, it would go to 65 mph.

New speed limits of 60 to 65 mph on toll roads proposed by agency officials have steamed state Sen. Jim Oberweis, sponsor of a 2014 law setting a 70 mph limit, and point to a showdown in Springfield.

This Thursday, Illinois tollway directors will discuss suggested changes for the Tri-State (I-294/I-94), the Reagan Memorial (I-88) and Veterans Memorial (I-355) tollways. The recommendations made by a tollway committee offer a range of speeds from the current 55 mph to 60 mph and 65 mph.

Oberweis thinks his law trumps the agency's claims that it has the legal right to set speeds, and he wants to call them on the carpet.

Ignoring the 70 mph policy is a "blatant disregard of the will of the people and a misapplication of an overwhelmingly supported law that is passed," said Oberweis, a Sugar Grove Republican.

"The safety of Tollway customers is our highest priority," spokeswoman Wendy Abrams said.

Tollway leaders contend traffic engineers prioritized safety and used crash rates, road design and how drivers interact with exits and entrances to develop the new standards.

"We looked at travel patterns and the speeds people drive at and the common speed and the differential," Executive Director Kristi Lafleur said. "That data is all taken into account as we set the speeds."

"It may look like patchwork on a map, but when you're driving (these are) logical transition points," said Jeff Hochmuth, a traffic engineer with tollway consultant CDM Smith.

Oberweis intends to ask the Senate's Transportation Committee chairman to hold a hearing in Springfield where tollway officials can explain their actions.

"The law makes it very clear, the speed is 70 mph on all tollways unless they do a legitimate study indicating 70 mph is not safe," he said.

Tollway leaders countered that the Illinois Vehicle Code empowers the tollway to raise its maximum speed limits after engineering and traffic investigations.

"If a safe and reasonable increase in the speed limit is warranted," the tollway then obtains approvals from IDOT, the tollway board of directors and a state commission on administrative rules, Abrams said.

Oberweis disagreed. He cited a widely used standard of setting speeds by calculating what 85 percent of drivers are traveling at under good conditions. That would place average toll road speeds at around 72 to 73, he said.

Tollway officials countered that the "85th percentile is the starting point when determining speed limits."

CDM Smith reviewed the policies of 18 states for which speed limit-setting procedures are publicly available and could not find a single state that used the 85th percentile speed independent of any other factors, Abrams said.

Wheaton resident Steve Doner, a National Motorists Association member, thinks the tollway did not use speed-calculating software from the U.S. Department of Transportation properly.

If the agency's new limits are put in place, the results will be speed traps and dangerous conditions for those who follow the posted limits, such as student drivers, he warned.

"The tollway's recommendation of 55 mph to 60 mph limits for most of the urban tollways does not stand up to independent analysis and scrutiny," Doner said.
You should know

Here are the proposed changes:

• On the Tri-State: increase speed from 55 mph to 60 mph between I-57 and I-55; increase speed from 55 mph to 60 mph between Touhy and Deerfield Road; increase speed for cars and buses from 55 mph to 65 mph between Deerfield and Stearns School Road near Gurnee Mills.

The rationale was based on a high northbound crash rate approaching Grand Avenue of 1.27 crashes per million vehicle miles traveled compared to a statewide average of .90, Abrams said.

• On I-88: increase speed from 55 mph to 60 mph from the Eisenhower Expressway (I-290) to Route 31; increase speed from 55 mph to 65 mph between Route 31 and Orchard Road; increase speed from 55 mph to 65 mph between Orchard and the Kane/DeKalb County line.

Abrams noted on I-88 from Route 31 to Route 47 in Kane County, the worst section has a crash rate of 1.70 crashes per million vehicle miles traveled.

The statewide rural interstate rate is .43.

• On I-355: increase speed from 55 mph to 60 mph between I-55 and Army Trail Road.

A center section of the Tri-State between Touhy and I-55 would stay at 55 mph, under the plan. So would the Edens Spur, which has a high crash rate of 2.07 crashes per million vehicle miles, Abrams said.

Currently, speeds on most toll roads in the six-county region are 55 mph, although 65 mph is legal in a few less-populated areas.

Got an opinion on the new speeds? Bet you do. Email me at mpyke@dailyherald.com.
Gridlock alert

Hang in there, I-90 nation. The latest traffic tweak begins this week with prep work to remove the I-90 bridge over Route 31.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Romad, you know better than that. Fix your post.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Transportation bill, minus 75-mph speed limit, set for vote

AAA wins with their lies again in Ohio! They were successful this week in painting the provision which would only have allowed a limit increase after study data had shown it to be safe in specific locations as a blanket increase that would have ended the world as we know it....

source many places....

Proposal for 75 mph speed limit pulled from transportation budget by Rep. Ryan Smith, R-Bidwell, chairman of the House Finance Committee.....

State senators plan to give final approval to Ohio's transportation budget after a committee dropped a proposal that would have raised the speed limit to 75 mph on certain rural freeways and the turnpike.

The $7 billion spending blueprint lays out transportation and public safety priorities for the two years beginning July 1. The bulk of the money goes to the Ohio Department of Transportation.

The speed limit change was among several made during legislative compromise talks. The increase would have made Ohio only the second state entirely east of the Mississippi River to have such a high limit. The other is Maine. A total of 16 states, mostly out West, have at least a 75 mph speed limit.

Auto club AAA was against the idea.
FRom talking to someone in the insurance industry last year, the efforts to block this increase in Ohio had not one thing to do with safety or what is safe.

But was about stopping any isolated state in a region of 65 or 70 posted from going to 75 posted at all costs. The industry's policy on this is to do anything that is technically legal, including playing with the facts and making bogus claims the data does not support to prevent this.

They know that if one state in a region like Ohio or Florida is allowed to go to 75 that in all of the neighboring states will join in raising their maximum in short order. This would cost them billions with a "B" in currently allowed speeding ticket surcharges....

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Montana Senate Advances 80 MPH Highway Speed Limit Proposal

Montana's 80 mph bill advances through the senate, but so did the doubling of fines!. Giving the state a way to re-coup the lost money from fewer tickets.....

Montana Senate Advances 80 MPH Highway Speed Limit Proposal

Montana senators have endorsed the only surviving bill to raise highway speed limits.

Senators voted 31-19 to pass Senate Bill 375 on second reading Wednesday. Sen. Scott Sales’ measure would raise highway speed limits from 75 mph to 80 mph in certain areas where the Montana Department of Transportation deems that speed to be safe.

It would also raise speeding fines from a maximum of $100 to $200.

Three other proposals to raise highway speed limits have died this session after the Montana Highway Patrol spoke against those bills. The patrol favors Sales’ measure, which is the only proposal to include increased fines.

SB 375 passed out of the Senate Highways and Transportation Committee along party lines last week after the committee struck a provision that would have raised truck speeds in certain areas.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Here is a little info on why the AAA fights these increases

In-case someone is wondering why the AAA is so worried about a state going to 75 or 80 mph, this tells the reason why..!....

By the way Ohio has a system in place which leads to similar or even higher jumps in premiums for small amounts over current maximums. Which means the passage of this bill to allow 75 would have cost them billions in lost ticket premiums......

10 over costs 52-56 % more in insurance rates for three years in NC,

And as little as "1" over in another state's 80 posted zone costs 80-100 % or more in surcharge increases. This also leads to an immediate 90 day suspension of driving privileges....

The NC data was from several pages. One of the pages says 14.500 tickets a month were given during a regularly carried out crackdowns, which gives 174,000 tickets a year!

1)

2)

3)

If this is not enough do a Google search for "cost of a speeding ticket in nc" or something similar..

I did a few searches and found data saying on average ~70,000-80,000 drivers a year in NC are receiving 10 over tickets a year.

In NC along that comes out to $50 million a year in extra insurance surcharge fees for three years! $150 million over three years from drivers with clean records on their first 10 over ticket! This Does Not to even include the current ridiculous "excessive speeding related reckless driving law" that gives 80-100 % increase in insurance rates today for as little as "ONE to SIX" over.

Now to me at least that doesn't sound like chump change to me, how about you???

From a single search the first results I found today from a Aug 2014 article.....

[URL="http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/insurance/2014/08/17/true-cost-speeding-ticket-north-carolina-nc/" ]True cost of a speeding ticket in NC [/URL]

While North Carolina’s average car insurance premium is a very reasonable $902.67, drivers who are caught speeding 10 mph over posted will pay an average of $1,369.89 each year—a hike of 51.81%, or $467.21 on the low side if you change companies to a lower company.

And if you don't change company's it's going to an average of $1,401.63 in additional insurance payments as the result of one ticket. An extra $499.96, a ~56 % increase for three years!

And 15 over cost a lot more, Not that hard to do in NC with many mile that should be posted @ 65-75 are still posted today @ 55!

On average, a driver convicted of driving 15 miles an hour over the speed limit will pay $1,619.63 which is an extra $716.96 a year for three years once fines, court fees and three years’ worth of car insurance increases are factored in.

Another article stated that this ticket routinely on average costs a 30-90 % increase premiums
That is a lot of revenue they would loose if the limit was raised doing away with most of those surcharges. Some states are better and they charge less while other states allow insurance companies to charge more......

Another issue with the current in law setup in NC is the arbitrary "reckless driving law related speeding" law, Anyone ticketed for 81 or above or 16 over automatically looses their drivers licence for 90 days. It does not matter what the limit was posted at right now.

With this current dishonest system if you get a ticket in one of states that today have a 80 mph or higher posted limit "ONE" over causes you to loose your licence for 90 days. In states like Colorado in a 75 posted zone "SIX" over gets my license revoked for 90 days. In 70 mph max states like NC ELEVEN" over in a 70 posted zone gets you an automatic suspension for 90 days.

Don't think that if you don't live in NC this is not a problem, Virginia also has this stupid law along with a few other places. This legislation came directly out of having NMSL limits which were irrelevant to reality for too many years.

And here is where the real cost is, That automatic revocation can and does make your rates go up as much as 80-100 %. Rates going from $900-1,000 a year with a clean driving record to just short of $1,800-2,000 a year for as little as "ONE" to "SIX" over posted. I'm sorry but no one can tell me that this has one thing to do with safety! This part of the current stupid rigged system is about one thing, the insurance companies making Billions a year in surcharges!

Ohio recently came out with data saying that tickets have been reduced by as much as 30 % in the places that received the recent limit increase. I remember reading articles back when limits went up in the west saying tickets dropped by as much as 75 % in places that went to 65-70 on two lane highways and 75 on freeways...

Passing a proper limit laws puts a lot of money made at risk from the few tickets that will be written. And then you figure in what they know, that if 75 is the posted maximum tickets are cut by as much as 75-85 %. And if they allow one state to post 75 mph on rural freeways all the states in the region will shortly there after follow suit allowing 75 mph.

If the Florida bill would have been allowed to become law, GA, SC, AL, NC, Miss, Tenn, at a minimum would have followed suit in short order.

If the Iowa bill haf been allowed to pass Missouri would have in short order followed suit in posting the limit to 75 mph.

That is 9 states where that current surcharge collected today of at least $50 million a year would be immediately cut by at least 75 %. That is 1.35 billion over three years that would be cut by 3/4 at a minimum if one of these proper limit laws passes with the surrounding states following suit in short order.

For me at least this is the part I believe makes it a necessity that this system be fixed before I or someone I care about is caught by it's BS......

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
It's one thing if the speed limit was set to 75 or 80 and they had these rules in place but for 55... really?!

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Arizona, 85 mph allowed bill one step from Governors desk!

85 mph speed limit bill introduced again in Arizona, third time in recent years.

If current version passed out of committee passes the full house it will be on it's way to the Governor's desk to become law.!...

subscription required....

If passed by the full house Arizona is one step from having a 85 mph speed limit.!.

Arizona legislators approved a bill late Wednesday that not only would allow drivers to travel up to 85 mph on state highways, but also includes an amendment that reduces the consequences of speeding.

The bill left the House Appropriations Committee on a 9-to-5 vote and is now making its way to the governor's desk.

The bill would make some Arizona highways among those with the highest speed limits in the country.

Most of the language from the original bill remains the same. If the full bill is approved, drivers will be fined a maximum of $15 for speeding 10 miles over the speed limit, the violation would not be reported to insurance companies and the driver's record would not be affected.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
In Wisconsin the proposal is to have the DOT determine which stretches 70mph would be okay. I don't mind as long as there is some sense to it. Some four lane roads are fairly rough IMHO and are questionable as to safety at 70. We are still 65 as our fastest as I type this.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
In as posted 55 zone 71 gives an automatic revocation of 90 days, 81 in a 65, 70, 75, 80, even anything above 81 in the 85 posted in Texas gives an automatic 90 day revocation of driving privileges along with a 100+ % increase in insurance premiums for years!!!!
No one can tell me that 81 or higher in a 75, 80 or 85 posted zone deserves this kind of penalty. This is about the insurance industry making money !$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!, pure and simply.............
I'm not disputing you at all... I'm just saying it's crazy how some of these laws are written to favor the insurance companies and not the insured.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
I'm not disputing you at all... I'm just saying it's crazy how some of these laws are written to favor the insurance companies and not the insured.
It's just the Golden Rule: he who has the gold makes the rules. :D We, the insured, don't have much gold. :(

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Bill introduced to raise the maximum removing the arbitrary maximum in Michigan

Bill introduced to raise the maximum removing the arbitrary maximum leaving the limit to be set as high as the data says it should be in Michigan again......

Bill introduced to raise maximum to a level which matches the 85th percentile speed without a arbitrary maximum to limit the maximums....

A five-bill package introduced in Lansing could be the driving force behind a hike in speed limit and other traffic laws.

State Representative Brad Jacobsen, R-Oxford, along with Reps. Rick Outman, R-Six Lakes, John Kivela, D-Marquette, and Charles Smiley, D-Burton, introduced legislation this week to reform Michigan's speed limits and other related traffic laws.

"These bills address a number of technical changes to keep our roads some of the safest in the nation," Rep. Jacobsen said. "Our speed laws will be updated to reflect the speed at which 85 percent of motorists are already safely driving at. Studies show when the majority of traffic is traveling at the same speed, traffic flow improves and fewer accidents occur.This bill package aims to create greater efficiency and safer roads for those who are driving safely by making common-sense adjustments to our current laws."

Rep. Jacobsen says that on average 85-percent of Michigan drivers are already going about 76mph on the highways.

"There's a couple of areas in Detroit where a typical driver in that 85th percentile is up over 80mph," said Rep. Jacobsen.

Notable highlights from the bipartisan legislation include establishing and adopting "school zone" speed limits that would be in effect 30 minutes before and after school hours, instead of the current one hour before and after school.

"A lot of things that happen in school zones are apparently not fully designated in legal statue," said Rep. Jacobsen. "The lights that you see when you drive into a school zone that might flash and say 35mph and school zone or whatever, a lot of those things are not specifically designated on what type of sign, what hours they operate, what type of sign can be used. So we're trying to do some clarification."

Another feature of the bill package incorporates introducing scientific data rather than emotions to determine speed limits.

Scientific analysis will be made available to the Michigan Department of Transportation and state law enforcement agencies to help determine appropriate speed limits for highways across the state. By utilizing this technology to provide safer roadways, the state will save time and money.

"Advances in modern technology have made it possible to utilize resources that can help transform outdated laws that are ineffective and inefficient to provide the best road conditions for our Michigan drivers," Rep. Jacobsen said. "Taxpayers are holding us accountable for using their dollars wisely, let's focus on crime and road safety rather than writing tickets."

Rep. Jacobsen introduced House Bills 4423 and 4424. Other bills in the package include HBs 4425-4427.

According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, 38 states have speed limits of 70 mph or higher on some portion of their roadway systems.

Texas tips the scale with the highest posted speed limit of 85 mph on certain stretches of highway. Sections of I-10 and I-20 in West Texas and sections of Highway 45 have a speed limit for passenger cars and light trucks of 80 mph. Texas State Highway 130 has a posted limit of 85 mph, which was set in October, 2012.

Idaho, Utah and Wyoming are states which also have speed limits of 75 and 80 on specific segments of highways.

Do you think Michigan should raise the speed limit on highways? Tell us what you think by taking part in our poll below and leaving your comments on the issue.

Bills could raise speed limits up to 80 miles per hour
Your Point of View
Should the speed limit be raised in Michigan?
Yes - The speed limit should be 80mph on some highways

49%
Yes - The speed limit should be 75mph on some highways

20%
No - The speed limit should remain the same

28%
No - The speed limit should be lowered

4%
Total Votes: 1003

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
80 mph debate: South Dakota is ready for faster speeds

South Dakota ready for 80 mph on freeways.......

subscription required.........

80 mph debate: State is ready for faster speeds..........

On March 17, Gov. Dennis Daugaard signed into law Senate Bill 1, the roads and bridges bill. In addition to raising revenue for the state, counties and townships for roads and bridges, the bill increased the maximum speed to 80 mph along South Dakota's interstates effective April 1.

It's definitely not an April Fool's joke. South Dakota will join four other states with maximum speed limits at 80 mph — Texas, Utah, Wyoming and Idaho. The change in speed limit, as reported by these states, has not resulted in any increased number of accidents or fatalities. On the other hand, the state of Utah has even recorded a reduction in their accident rates along Interstate 15. Wyoming legislators, Rep. David Zwonitzer and Sen. Michael Von Flatern, the prime sponsors of Wyoming's bill, noted drivers better comply with the 80 mph speed limit than they did when the speed limit was set at 75 mph.

Wyoming has not had any issues with people going significantly over the mandated 80 mph, as some assume the problem will be here in South Dakota. The two legislators also reported Wyoming has not had any problems with maintaining federal funding for state interstates and highways because of the increased speed limit.

Depending upon the quality of the road in certain areas, the angle of a turn, visibility and accident rate in various sections of interstate, Texas, Utah, Wyoming and Idaho have implemented a reduced speed limit in specific sections of their interstates, which is determined by the superintendent of the highway system in those states. Areas of lower speed advisory will be determined in South Dakota by the Transportation Commission and State Transportation Secretary Darin Bergquist.

Yellow speed recommendation signs can be placed along sections of Interstate 90 and Interstate 29 that have sharper turns or a hill/knoll where there is reduced visibility. As always, drivers should keep in mind the weather conditions as they determine a safe speed to travel. In cases of low visibility and ice-covered roads, reduced speeds are recommended to ensure a safe arrival to your destination.

Drivers also must consider the fact that the increased speed limit does not mean they have to drive 80 mph. The minimum speed limit along South Dakota's interstates probably will remain at 45 mph, and drivers are recommended to navigate at the speed they feel most comfortable. It is essential for all drivers to understand their personal capabilities and limitations, along with the capabilities of their vehicle.

Every vehicle is different, and drivers need to consider their vehicle's car alignment and wheel balance. They also should factor in their vehicle's traction control system, if applicable. In addition, drivers should understand and consider the differences in vehicles with front-wheel drive, rear-wheel drive, all-wheel drive, and four-wheel drive, which all handle the changing road conditions differently. Some may be better suited for tackling the higher speeds.

This increase in the speed limit will help tourists and South Dakotans get across the state and to their destinations as efficiently as possible. Whether that be citizens of South Dakota driving to the Black Hills for the weekend or tourists from other states attending the 75th Sturgis Rally this year, the increased speed limit will help drivers get to their destination in a more timely fashion, allowing them more time to spend shopping and seeing the numerous attractions South Dakota has to offer. It also will allow commerce to move just a little quicker from point A to point B in South Dakota or across the state.

South Dakota has good roads now. With increased revenue for roads and bridges, we can achieve great roads with improved road surfaces and improved highway safety engineering systems.

Car and tire technology also have improved, making driving up to 80 mph a reasonable step for South Dakota to take.

Rep. Brian Gosch, R-Rapid City, is the house majority leader in the state legislature. He has served in the Legislature for eight years and is the chair of the Senate Affairs Committee and Legislative Procedure Committee. He is a lawyer in Rapid City and is married with six children.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
90 seconds from 75 to 80 mph: How Gosch sped state to 80 mph limit

this headline caught my attention, In South Dakota they show how to go from 75 to 80 mph in 90 seconds and 23 days........

In South Dakota a couple of weeks ago it was 90 seconds from 75 to 80 mph: How Gosch sped the state to 80 mph limit........

Last year, Wyoming spent six months publicly considering an 80 mph interstate speed limit.

This month, South Dakota spent only 90 seconds doing the same thing.

The difference is state Rep. Brian Gosch, R-Rapid City, who pushed South Dakota's new maximum speed limit into law with no public testimony and no public analysis of the potential effect on traffic safety.

South Dakota’s new maximum interstate speed seemed to materialize out of thin air on the Monday of the legislative session's final week, and it will zoom into effect Wednesday, a span of just 23 days from public proposal to implementation. South Dakota will join Texas, Utah, Idaho and Wyoming as the only states in which speedometers can legally touch 80.

During a committee meeting Gosch chaired on March 9, he got the speed-limit provision inserted as a last-minute, surprise amendment on an $85 million highway-and-bridge funding bill. Because of an emergency clause included in the legislation, it will take effect Wednesday instead of the usual July 1 effective date.

As a result of the rushed process, a flurry of activity is underway. New 80 mph signs are flying out of a prison factory. State transportation workers are scrambling to replace all 250 existing 75 mph signs at an estimated cost of $25,000.

And already speculation is circulating that some signs could be changed back to 75 this summer, after the state Transportation Commission has its say.

There has been additional speculation that the higher speed limit was a sweetener to secure Gosch's support, or the support of other legislators, for the tax-and-fee increases in the road-and-bridge bill.

Gosch, in Journal interviews last week, claimed a simpler motivation. He had read or heard that other states adopted an 80 mph limit on interstates without any problems, he said, and he saw an opportunity to do the same thing in South Dakota.

Rep. Spencer Hawley, D-Brookings, voted against Gosch’s speed-limit amendment and later said it sailed through so quickly, “It only took about three minutes to put it in the bill.”

Actually, he’s wrong. An audio recording shows it only took 1½ minutes, and this is how Gosch made it happen.

Hitching a ride

Gosch, the House majority leader, piggybacked the 80 mph amendment onto the work of many lawmakers, mainly Sen. Mike Vehle, R-Mitchell, who spent seven years pushing for a package of tax and fee increases to pay for road and bridge repairs. This year, the effort finally translated into successful legislation known as Senate Bill 1.

By March 9, the beginning of the legislative session’s last full week and the day the bill was on the agenda of the House State Affairs Committee, which is chaired by Gosch, the bill already had passed the Senate without the speed limit increase.

The legislation was a complex, numbers-laden giant consisting of 3,410 words spread across 12 pages, including increases in gas taxes, registration fees and other revenue sources. Besides having the bill and a number of amendments to wade through, committee members also had a deadline. They had to approve the bill that day, because the next day, a Tuesday, was the deadline to get the bill through the full House of Representatives.

Suddenly, the speed-limit amendment arose. During the eight preceding weeks of the legislative session, there had been no public indication that an interstate speed limit increase would be considered at all, let alone as part of the road-and-bridge funding bill. When the amendment popped up at the committee hearing, it was a surprise to the public and even some in the committee room, including state Rep. Mike Verchio, R-Hill City.

“I was quite surprised to see it in there,” Verchio said last week in an interview with the Journal.

In a later interview, after he had received a call from Gosch, Verchio changed his story and said he’d been told about the amendment several days before the hearing.

One person certainly was not surprised, and that was Gosch. Sometime on or before Friday, March 6, he had asked legislative staffers to draft the amendment.

When a legislator asks for an amendment draft, it is given directly to the legislator. He can distribute the amendment to whomever he chooses, but it doesn’t go public until it's formally proposed.

During a pair of interviews last week, Gosch told the Journal that on the Friday before the Monday morning committee hearing, he provided the amendment to “all the interested parties on the road-funding bill.”

But Verchio wasn’t the only legislator who initially said he was surprised by the amendment when it showed up at the Monday hearing. Rep. Spencer Hawley, D-Brookings, said the same thing when interviewed by the Journal. But like Verchio, Hawley later changed his story after receiving a call from Gosch and said he’d actually received the amendment days before the hearing.

A laughing matter

When the committee hearing on the road-and-bridge funding bill began, Gosch began calling for testimony on the stack of proposed amendments. Votes would come later.

The speed-limit increase, titled "Amendment 1om," eventually got its turn. That’s when the following was uttered, according to the archived audio recording:

Gosch: “We are going to move on, then, to 1om. This would increase the speed limit on interstate highways to 80 miles per hour. Are there any proponents on 1om?”

Nobody spoke up.

Gosch: “Any opponents on 1om?”

Again, nobody spoke up.

At that point, Gosch cracked a joke about the possibility that one of the government officials in the room might prefer a 90 mph speed limit. There was laughter, and Gosch moved on to the next amendment.

And that was it, at least for the time being. Thirty-two seconds of non-testimony.

There was no public input from the Department of Public Safety, Highway Patrol, Office of Highway Safety, Department of Transportation, Transportation Commission, South Dakota drivers and safety advocates, or anyone else.

Last year, when an 80 mph maximum speed limit was considered in Wyoming, some of the equivalent offices in that state gave public testimony. The item was considered as a standalone bill in the Wyoming Legislature, not as an amendment, giving it more chance for debate and discussion.

When the Wyoming bill was approved in March 2014, its implementation was delayed until July 2014 while the state’s Department of Transportation conducted a study to determine where 80 mph limits could be safely imposed. That resulted in only about half of Wyoming’s total interstate miles being converted to 80 mph zones.

The Journal asked Gosch last week why there was no testimony from state transportation or safety officials, who commonly testify on various items during legislative sessions.

“I don’t have the right to subpoena them,” Gosch said.

Verchio said that after the hearing, he spoke privately about the amendment to officials in the Department of Public Safety and didn’t hear anything negative. Other legislators made similar comments.

Incidentally, according to the South Dakota Office of Highway Safety's 2014 annual report, the five-year average of annual speed-related fatalities in the state is 36.4. The report also said, “Speed related fatalities remain a very real problem in South Dakota.”

A voice vote and a wisecrack

Later during the March 9 committee hearing, after all the testimony on all the proposed amendments to the road-and-bridge funding bill, Gosch called for motions.

Rep. Mark Mickelson moved for approval of the 80 mph amendment, and Rep. Steve Westra seconded the motion. Both are Republicans from Sioux Falls.

"I happened to be sitting there, and someone needed to move the motion, and I did," Mickelson said last week in an interview. "I don't have strong feelings on it, but I'm fine having it be part of the package."

After the motion and second, Gosch asked for comments. Somebody who is not identified on the hearing's audio recording said, “I think it’s pretty self-explanatory, and I support the amendment.”

Gosch then called for a vote, but he was interrupted by Hawley, the Brookings Democrat, who asked if increasing the speed limit on a federal interstate highway would affect the state’s federal funding. In the past, for example, the feds put restrictions on highway funding for states that lacked seat-belt laws.

“We’re beyond the question at this point,” Gosch replied, “but we asked that question in Wyoming, and they said there was not, in Utah and Wyoming, there was not a bearing on federal funds.”

Only a voice vote was taken, so there’s no official record of who voted for or against the amendment. Democrats Hawley and Rep. Julie Bartling, D-Gregory, have since told the Journal they voted “no,” and they don’t know of anybody else who joined them.

With the amendment approved, Gosch deployed more wry humor.

“You don’t have to drive 80,” he said. “You can drive at least, I think, the minimum is 45.”

Actually, the minimum is 40 mph. That’s a separate state law that wasn't touched by legislators this year and hasn't been updated since 1989, even while the maximum has been raised twice. Nevertheless, Gosch’s comment sparked more laughter, and the committee moved on to other motions.

It took 58 seconds from Gosch’s call for the motion until its approval.

So, combining the non-testimony, the brief commentary after the motion, and the vote, the total time spent amending an 80 mph maximum speed limit into the road-and-bridge funding bill was 1½ minutes.

Critics stayed quiet

Hawley said later that as he watched the amendment get approved, he didn’t like it. He thought the matter belonged in a standalone bill, so it could receive adequate testimony about the potential impact on traffic safety instead of being rushed through as an amendment.

But he assumed, wrongly, that the amendment would be removed later by the conference committee that would be appointed to reconcile the differences between the House and Senate versions of the road-and-bridge funding bill.

“It’s probably my fault,” Hawley said later. “I should’ve jumped up and down harder.”

There were others who weren’t thrilled about the amendment but also stayed quiet.

Hawley’s fellow Democrat, Bartling, was not originally interviewed by the Journal last week but got a call from Gosch, who she said urged her to call and tell the Journal she received the amendment on the Friday before the Monday hearing.

She called the Journal and confirmed her prior knowledge of the amendment, but she also explained why she voted against it. She didn’t think the speed-limit amendment belonged in the funding bill, and she thinks 80 mph is too fast.

“I guess I’m just not hip on that type of speed,” Bartling said.

Sen. Vehle, the Mitchell Republican whose seven-year crusade to raise funding for roads and bridges included an in-depth study and statewide tour that he led last summer, also received the 80 mph amendment days before the House State Affairs hearing.

“My first reaction when I heard this would be one of the amendments was, ‘Are you kidding me?’” Vehle said. "I wasn’t excited about it."

But he was stuck. His road-and-bridge bill had finally gained support after a long struggle, and it was his top priority. He didn’t want the amendment to become a distraction and derail the broader bill. In addition, he didn’t have strong feelings on the speed-limit increase.

“I thought, ‘I’m not going to get in front of this freight train,'” Vehle said.

The freight train rolled on through the rest of the legislative process and reached Gov. Dennis Daugaard’s desk. He signed the bill, including the 80 mph amendment, on March 17.

More debate ahead?

Gosch's job is done, but controversy might be just beginning.

Another state law, separate but related to the maximum speed law, gives the Transportation Commission power to set limits lower than the maximum. A member of the commission, which is an appointed citizen panel, and an employee in the Department of Transportation gave different opinions to the Journal on whether the commission can lower all the 80 mph zones back to 75, or just certain sections. Interstate stretches that were already lower than 75 will stay that way and won't be affected by the new legislation.

The commission apparently cannot act to reduce a speed limit until after the limit has taken effect. That's why all the 75 mph interstate speed-limit signs will be changed Wednesday in accordance with the new law, and some signs could eventually be changed back in accordance with potential commission action.

It’s unknown what the commission will do, but at a Thursday meeting four of the nine members expressed displeasure about the increased speed limit.

The Journal told Commissioner Donald Roby, of Watertown, about the methodical way the limit was increased by the Wyoming Legislature and asked him if that would have been a better way to do it.

“I’ll say this,” Roby said. “That certainly seems like a reasonable approach.”

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Washington Senate to take up 75 mph highway speed bill soon.....

75 mph limit bill to soon get a vote in the Washington Senate with a recommendation to pass....

subscription required.......

Washington Senate to take up 75 mph highway speed bill soon.....

A bill increasing the maximum allowable speed limit on Washington highways to 75 mph will go to the state Senate floor for a vote.

The state Senate Committee on Transportation Tuesday voted to approve a second reading of the bill, HB 2181, sending it next to the full Senate for a vote with a recommendation to pass.

The Washington State Department of Transportation sets speed limits based on engineering and traffic studies, but there are ceilings to the maximum limit depending on the type of roadway.

The maximum speed limit is 70 mph on interstate highways, but the bill would allow WSDOT to increase limits to 75 mph.

Passed the House

An increased maximum speed limit bill passed March 9 in the state House.

If the whole Senate agrees with the committee’s recommendation and passes the bill as-is, it will go up the line to the governor for a signature.

If the Senate amends the bill, the two bodies will have to hammer out their bills’ differences.

No date had been set as of Thursday morning for when the Senate would vote.

Two other bills, in the House and Senate, proposed raising the limit just on Interstate 90 from Ellensburg to the Spokane-Lincoln county line, languished and are effectively dead.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Starting to see stories discussing large truck tires and their 75 min max spd rating

I am starting to see stories discussing large truck tires and their 75 min max speed ratings.

And like before those pushing the issue really aren't telling the entire truth on this.

The facts are the the minimum maximum required speed ratings by the US NHTSB are 75 mph. But there are today widely offered tires today with an 81 mph rating at very little if any additional cost.

Also there is some info out there saying the current 75 mph rating is extremely conservative as to how fast is safe on current tires with this rating.....
From talking to someone in the tire industry, racing tires engineer about truck and trailer tires he told me that: We were speaking of trailer tires min max rating of 65 mph and larger truck tires min max rating of 75 mph at the time with increasing state speed limits. And the real likelihood at the time of Texas going to 80 mph.

The DOT speed rating on these tires is related to minimum requirement testing, not what the tires are actually capable of speed wise and weight wise. He would not give me a actual speed number above the rating, but he did say these ratings is very conservative as to the tires actual capabilities. And that within reason going faster than the min max rating on these applications on a properly inflated tire should not pose a safety risk.

It is also pointed out that the minimum speed rating for auto/light truck tires is today 112 mph, so there is no issue with any auto tires on the road today....

Another fact that is not really made clear by the flurry of stories, which are pretty much word for word is that every one of the so called speed related failures of tires were not related to speed actually.

From a Michelin tire company investigation of tire failures they found failures to be more related to under inflation and debris impacts. Not one of the failures mentioned in the articles so far has been directly attributable to higher allowed speeds......

Many truck tires can't handle higher speed limits.....

Nearly all truck tires have been built for a maximum sustained speed of 75 mph since the middle of last decade, when drivers across the vast majority of the U.S. were allowed to go no faster than 65 or 70 mph.

But 14 states, mainly west of the Mississippi River, now have speed limits of 75, 80, even 85 mph in part of Texas.

The practice of driving at or above the limit the tires can handle has been claimed to be linked to wrecks and blowouts. Accusations made, but nothing has been proved in this claimed link
Many tractor-trailers on the nation's roads are driven faster than the 75 mph their tires are designed to handle, a practice that has been claimed linked to wrecks and blowouts but has not been proven, so has largely escaped the attention of highway officials.

Nearly all truck tires have been built for a maximum sustained speed of 75 mph since the middle of last decade, when drivers across the vast majority of the U.S. were allowed to go no faster than 65 or 70 mph.

But 14 states, including Wyoming and mainly west of the Mississippi River, now have speed limits of 75, 80, even 85 mph in part of Texas. Some of those states acted without consulting the tire industry.

Safety advocates and tire experts say that habitually driving faster than a tire's rated speed can generate excessive heat that damages the rubber, with potentially catastrophic results.

"It's a recipe for disaster," said James Perham, president of Extreme Transportation Corp., an automobile-hauling company near San Diego that filed a complaint with regulators about Michelin tires after seven blowouts caused an estimated $20,000 to $30,000 in damage to its rigs.

The disconnect between highway speed limits and safety standards was discovered by The Associated Press in a government document that detailed an investigation into truck tire failures.

Last month, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration closed the investigation into blowouts involving certain Michelin tires after determining that truck operators, not the tires, were at fault. An investigator wrote that exceeding the 75 mph rating was the most likely cause in all 16 complaints examined. The blowouts resulted in three crashes but no injuries.

State officials and the tire and trucking industries point the finger at each other for causing the problem. Highway officials in three states -- including Wyoming -- that allow trucks to go 80 mph or more either disregarded tire safety ratings, wouldn't answer questions about them or told the AP they were unaware of them.

From 2009 through 2013, there were just over 14,000 fatal crashes in the U.S. involving heavy trucks and buses, killing almost 16,000 people, according to NHTSA. Tires were a factor in 198 of those crashes and 223 deaths.

Forty people died in truck tire-related crashes in 2009, and that rose to 52 in 2013, the latest year for which statistics are available.

Of the states that now let trucks travel 75 mph or more, three allow 80 or higher — Wyoming, Texas, and Utah. South Dakota is about to increase its truck speed limit to 80, and three more states — Missouri, Nevada and Washington — may go to 75 or higher.

In Wyoming, which raised speeds on some rural highways to 80 mph last July, "it doesn't look like necessarily there was any consideration of truck tire speed ratings," said Bruce Burrows, a spokesman for the state Transportation Department. Wyoming hasn't seen a spike in tire failures, he said.

Burrows also noted that the speed limit doesn't require truckers to go 80 mph, and said they should be aware of how fast their equipment can safely travel — a common refrain among state officials.
In Utah, the Transportation Department said it didn't know about the truck tire speed ratings until told by a reporter. In Texas, a spokeswoman refused to answer repeated questions about whether the state knew about the tire standards before raising speed limits. The sponsor of the law that allowed the Transportation Department to set an 85 mph limit along a new toll road was also unaware of the tire limitations.

"We don't have any knowledge of this," said Chris Steinbach, chief of staff for then-Rep. Lois Kolkhorst, now a state senator.
It's hard to pinpoint the cause of most blowouts. Road debris can be a factor. Underinflation, heavy loads and high speeds can also damage tires over time.

States set their own speed limits, having been given sole authority to do so by Congress in the mid-1990s, while the federal government, through NHTSA, has authority to raise tire standards.

For now, NTHSA contends the most effective way to attack the problem is a regulation to require devices that would prevent trucks from going over 75 mph. But the proposed measure has been stalled for years in a morass of cost analyses and government reviews.

Another possible solution would be for manufacturers to make tires that can handle higher speeds. Some companies already produce a small number safety-rated at 81 mph that cost about the same as those built for 75 mph.

But manufacturers are hesitant to make more, fearing sales won't be big enough to justify the cost of redesigning and retooling, said Dan Zielinski, spokesman for the Rubber Manufacturers Association.

He said many trucking companies would not be interested in higher-rated tires because they already equip their 18-wheelers with speed governors that prevent them from going over 75 mph.

Michelin sells more truck tires than any other manufacturer, followed by Bridgestone, Goodyear, Yokohama and Firestone, according to Modern Tire Dealer magazine.

The problem does not extend to ordinary car tires. Ever since Firestone tires started failing on Ford Explorers in the 1990s, the government has required car and light truck tires to be designed for well above highway speed limits. Even the most basic car tires can safely go up to 112 mph.

The American Trucking Associations, an industry group, says it opposes speed limits over 65 mph, and it has petitioned the government to require speed-limiting devices on trucks.

ATA spokesman Sean McNally provided a 2007 survey done by the group showing that 69 percent of trucking companies already had such devices on at least some of their rigs, with an average limit of 69 mph.

Still, it took federal regulators five years to propose a regulation, and it is still being reviewed by government agencies. It could take months, if not years, to go into effect.

For now, truck drivers keep driving at high speeds — legally and illegally.

NHTSA began investigating the Michelin tires last October after getting complaints about tire failures, mainly from auto-hauling companies. In one case, a truck going more than the 75 mph speed limit on Interstate 10 in Deming, New Mexico, blew a tire and rolled onto its side.

Tire and trucking industry groups blame the states for allowing unsafe speeds, though they say drivers should be aware of tire limitations.

Along Texas Highway 130, which has an 85 mph speed limit for big rigs, driver David Ortiz said he didn't know about the 75 mph rating for most truck tires, or how fast his tires were designed to go. He said his company has limited the top speed of his truck to 65 mph, and he normally goes 63.

But Ortiz conceded that a speed limit higher than the tires can handle is a safety problem for truckers who drive faster. "Somebody needs to think about it," he said.

Although many truck operators maintain their vehicles well, NHTSA found a number with problems.

As part of the Michelin investigation, the agency tested trucks and surveyed over a dozen drivers in Pennsylvania, finding that more than half had overburdened tires because of heavy loads or low air pressure. Sixty percent of drivers didn't know the proper inflation pressure for the trucks they were driving.
To make sure drivers know their tires' limits, NHTSA is considering a requirement that maximum speeds be listed on the sidewalls of all truck tires.

Truck tires are generally reliable and are responsible for a relatively low number of accidents, said the rubber association's Zielinski. But he added: "An 18-wheeler is not a Porsche, and shouldn't be driven like one."

Here is a look at the top speed limits for cars in trucks in all 50 states and Washington, D.C.
State Car top speed limit Truck top speed limit
Alabama 70 70
Alaska 65 65
Arizona 75 75
Arkansas 70 65
California 70 55
Colorado 75 75
Connecticut 65 65
Delaware 65 65
Washington, D.C. 55 55
Florida 70 70
Georgia 70 70
Hawaii 60 60
Idaho 80 70
Illinois 70 70
Indiana 70 65
Iowa 70 70
Kansas 75 75
Kentucky 70 70
Louisiana 75 75
Maine 75 75
Maryland 65 65
Massachusetts 65 65
Michigan 70 60
Minnesota 70 70
Mississippi 70 70
Missouri 70 70
Montana 75 65
Nebraska 75 75
Nevada 75 75
New Hampshire 70 70
New Jersey 65 65
New Mexico 75 75
New York 65 65
North Carolina 70 70
North Dakota 75 75
Ohio 70 70
Oklahoma 75 75
Oregon 65 55
Pennsylvania 70 70
Rhode Island 65 65
South Carolina 70 70
South Dakota *80 *80 April 1
Tennessee 70 70
Texas 85 85
Utah 80 80
Vermont 65 65
Virginia 70 70
Washington 70 60
West Virginia 70 70
Wisconsin 65 65
Wyoming 80 80
*Top speed rises to 80 on select interstate stretches on April 1
Top speed limits are mainly on selected parts of rural interstate highway or toll roads
Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, Governors Highway Safety Association, state transportation departments

LarBear

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG
Montana is upping the highway speed limit to 80 mph for cars, etc, but haven't heard anything about what the heavy truck limit will be. If there's too large a difference and they keep the truck limit at 65 it may make for some interesting times on the roads.

The MHP has said that they won't cut anyone any slack for exceeding 80 either, but that's what they said when the limit was set at 75 from the previous no posted limit on rural interstates and now 80 is what most everyone drives. In Montana speeds are lower on Interstates going through Billings, Great Falls, Missoula, Butte, and maybe Dillon, Miles City and Glendive. That being said I'll probably keep driving at 75 unless I get a bur under my saddle.