Adding VSS to a Eurovan for ALH cruise?

archemitis

Veteran Member
TDI
200 Golf, 1974 Westfalia TDI
Hello, I just finished up a swap and am looking into getting the VSS hooked up for cruise.
Its an ALH engine in a 1993 eurovan. The old system had the vss on the transmission (I think). Is there something to install into the speedometer? do I use one of those inline pulse generators on the speedo cable?
I swear I saw a post where a guy soldered in a VSS to the back of his speedo/cluster. I cant find it to save my life
Thanks in advance for the info.

iwannajettatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Brilliant Black Audi Q5 3.0TDI, 2014 Tempest Blue metallic Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 2002 Blue Eurovan Weekender BHW TDI
Hello, I just finished up a swap and am looking into getting the VSS hooked up for cruise.
Its an ALH engine in a 1993 eurovan. The old system had the vss on the transmission (I think). Is there something to install into the speedometer? do I use one of those inline pulse generators on the speedo cable?
I swear I saw a post where a guy soldered in a VSS to the back of his speedo/cluster. I cant find it to save my life
Thanks in advance for the info.
When I was trying to figure this out with a different van gearbox I was looking at getting a hall effect sender and strapping two magnets to the CV axle/output shaft 180* off from each other to get the pulses per mile needed to send the correct signal to the speedometer. I think.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
nope ^^ that's for a vanagon cluster ... you could borrow the tach signal and reduce the ppm with a dakota digital speedo converter or as suggested above use the axle bolts as a reluctor and attach a inductive sensor close by

archemitis

Veteran Member
TDI
I cant get photobucket to work right now, but there is a spot in the back of the speedo that looks like its waiting for that exact square piece with 2 screws to mount it.

archemitis

Veteran Member
TDI
nope ^^ that's for a vanagon cluster ... you could borrow the tach signal and reduce the ppm with a dakota digital speedo converter or as suggested above use the axle bolts as a reluctor and attach a inductive sensor close by
The tach signal is another cool option. Thanks.
I got a feeling magnets and stuff near my cv axles might not make it through offroading or the MN winter, so that makes me nervous.

archemitis

Veteran Member
TDI
I need to test it to see what kind of a signal it puts out, right? Im really in experienced with this stuff.
Here it is with the two screws removed and the piece with the ribbon wire is gone. Its just a connector between these two points and the back of the cluster into the wiring harness that leads out to the main plugs.

Do I test it or just follow the wires and hook them up?
Thanks for any advice:)

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
i would check to see which wire is signal and tie it your ecm's speed signal input... watch the speed in vcds for a smooth signal... when i was figuring out cruise in my truck i just hooked a drill>old piece of speedo cable>to speedo and watched vcds ... this let me check the signal without having to juggle driving and vag-com ... turns out my truck used a reed type switch and it was NOT compatible with the ecm, gave an erratic signal ... that's why i ended up using the rpm as a surrogate speed input

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
Cars with an accelerator cable and mechanical speedo like my B3 (which uses the same cluster) got their cruise control signal from that pickup. Cruise was controlled by a stand alone ECU...

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Josh_WA

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI, 1993 Eurovan Weekender TDI(AHU) converted 2/2016, 93 Eurovan MV TDI(1z)(sold!)
archemitis, just to clarify for my lack of understanding, you have the VSS generator on the transmission and have it plugged into the ECU, or are you using the mechanical speedo input in the center back of the cluster?

archemitis

Veteran Member
TDI
I dont have any sensor on the tranny that I saw, could be wrong... I am using the #7 wire out the back of the cluster. Both 5 cylinder eurovan clusters I have have them already installed. I do need to check it with VCDS to make sure its not just an internet rumor =]

archemitis

Veteran Member
TDI
dude... ya shoulda skimmed the thread... might have learned something.

oops, just reread what I wrote... wasnt trying to sound rude. Sorry about that. I was just super excited to learn something about a T4 on the interweb. The info is pretty sparse still.