engine fault workshop and glowplug light flashing intermittently

elliotth01

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportswagon
I'm hoping I can get a little help with weird issue that I've just started experiencing with these warning lights coming on intermittently on my 2009 jetta sportswagon (141K). They only flash for a brief second and one audible chime is heard but nothing happens with performance of car. I did just have a battery replaced and it started occurring after that (car died while on vacation, AAA replaced battery). I have also just recently had the RCV valve replaced in the AC compressor and AC is working great now.
As for a little more history on this car: Timing belt\water pump maintenance done at around 90K I think and transmission replaced at 113K. The CEL light has been on for a few months and local VW mechanic is showing an exhaust pressure sensor code. The car wasn't going into regen mode but he's able to put the car in that mode for me and I drive it until the pressure numbers are exceptable. That issue seems to have corrected itself though and last two times at shop they were able to see that my car had gone into regeneration on it's own and the last time it showed that the exhaust pressure way down so that's good (CEL is still on though)
Back to engine fault workshop and glowplug light, I can sometimes make it happen if cruising along at highway speed in 7th gear I think. What i'll do is let off gas until speed drops around 58 mph and rpm at 1800 and the car has down shifted, at that point if I give it just a little gas and it upshifts and then those warning lights while show for just a split second. Car doesn't sputter one bit though. This isn't the only time that this happens but it does seem to occur around 1800 rpm. It's also not occurring overly frequently and car is running great. Almost seems like an electrical issue somewhere? Does anyone have any ideas what could cause this?
I apologize if I didn't do this the correct way, I did tried replying to another post on this discussion to get some help but hadn't heard anything back so thought I was create a new post.

Last edited:

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
The flashing glow plug light is a "fix me RIGHT NOW" check engine light... have you had it re-scanned for codes, with a VW-specific scanner like VCDS, since it started to flash the glow plug light as you?

If not, this is an important step; the car probably has some new thoughts about what's wrong and is trying to tell you. :):)

elliotth01

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportswagon
Yeah, I know I should have grabbed the diagnostics report from the local VW mechanic the last time I had it in. He didn't mention anything different to me though and he actually told me that the exhaust pressure reading was zero and that the car had gone into regeneration mode by itself. I just stopped at autozone and all they see is error code p047a which is referencing the exhaust pressure sensor B circuit and I've known that. Will those other instances of the engine fault workshop and glowplug light be recorded and held in memory even if the light is only for a moment and not staying on? I know my VW mechanic has the VCDS scanner so I can take back and get the diagnostics checked once more. I'll let you know what it says, sorry I knew I should have done that anyway.

Last edited:

elliotth01

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportswagon
Ok, I was able to obtain a complete VCDS scan today. I'm getting 2 Engine faults:
Exhaust Pressure Sensor 2
P047A - Open Circuit MIL ON
Fault Status: 11100000, Fault Priority 2, Fault Frequency 24

Bank 1: CMP Sensor(G40)/ Engine Speed Sensor(G28)
P0016 - Incorrect Correlation - Intermittent
Fault Status 00100000, Fault Priority 2, Fault Frequency 91

I'm also getting a fault on the Auto Trans which is as follows:
Clutch
P2789 - Adaptive Learning at Limit - Intermittent
Fault Status 00100001, Fault Priority 0, Fault Frequency 255

Also 1 fault found for Airbags:
00532 - Supply Voltage B+
002 Lower Limit Exceeded - Intermittent

Could replacing a battery have anything to do with any of these? I'm not due for transmission maintenance for another 13K and timing belt for probably 30K. I'm just praying nothing major is looming as we've already replaced the transmission on this car. Let me know if you need any further info off of this report and thanks again for helping me with this.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Weak battery can cause SOME electrical issues, maybe not the ones you're seeing, though.
Have the battery load tested. (What brand?)

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Codes flagged as "intermittant" can certainly be triggered by a battery replacement, since the system voltage dips at least once.

Sometimes in a case like this I will clear all the codes (now that I have a record) and see which ones come back, and when.

elliotth01

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportswagon
The VW mechanic who worked on my car mentioned that the new battery that AAA put in may not be the best (not sure what brand, but I'll check) and not have correct voltages or something to that effect and could possibly be causing some of these issues. When he ran the diagnostics on it this last time he cleared the codes so I guess I should have it run it again and see what it's showing now. I'm almost tempted to change the battery and see if I still get these intermittent warning lights. Could I swap out the battery from my 2013 Honda Accord, it's OEM? Thank you for your input and I'll keep tracking what I'm seeing. I would love to get under control as this is my wife's car and it makes me nervous that see does all highway driving to work and god forbid she breaks down during rush hour traffic. Because of this I've been driving the car for the last three weeks just to see how the car is running and see if I notice anything different with symptoms. Honestly the car is driving like a champ and we've probably put over 2K on it since replacing the battery. I'll let you know what happens and thanks again, this site is invaluable.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Unfortunately a less than ideal battery is very unlikely to be the root cause here...assuming it starts the car OK.

elliotth01

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportswagon
So do you think at this point I need to get the car scanned again and see what it's showing since all the counters were reset after the last scan? I'll also have the battery load tested just to see if everything is ok there. I do notice that these warnings lights appear on an upshift in the 1800 rpm range which sounds like it tied to the either that P0016 CMP Sensor(G40) / Engine Speed Sensor(G28) intermittent fault error or the P2789 Adaptive Learning at Limit intermittent fault error that references the clutch.

Sorry if this is redundant but my CEL had been on prior to these new warning lights and the codes were referencing the Exhaust Pressure Sensor (P047A) and these new intermittent Engine Fault Workshop and Glowplug lights only occurring after replacement of battery which sounds like it may just be coincidence. Glowpug electrical issue is one thing I thought it may be after researching this site whether it's the relay, wiring harness, or the glowplug itself. The car did start a little hard this past winter but it did always start. I guess that may have also been a result of that last battery which was on it's way out. Any advice I what I my next move should be?

Last edited:

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
North Carolina has more tdi gurus per square mile than anywhere else. Research a guru and go see them. Fastest solution here.

elliotth01

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportswagon
Now the glowplug light is coming on while driving and staying on. This just started last night and then I drove it to test. It seems that it doesn't shift as quickly from stop. I recall it shifting up thru the gears in a rather quick tempo and shifting each time around the 1500 - 1800 rpm range. Seems as though now it's delayed and shifting more around 3000 rpm if accelerating a little more rapidly. I'm still able to drive the car but certainly fearful that something major is going to happen. I took to mechanic today to run vagcom on it and it threw the following Engine codes and these first two had already been present from my last vagcom scan:

Exhaust Pressure Sensor 2: P047A open circuit MIL ON, Fault Status 11100000, Fault Priority 2

Bank 1: CMP Sensor (G40)/ Engine Speed Sensor (G28): P0016 Incorrect Correlation - intermittent, Fault Status 00100000, Fault Priority 2

The next two follow codes are new on this latest scan:
EGR Valve 2 (N213): P045F Stuck Closed MIL ON, Fault Status 11100000, Fault Priority 2

EGR Valve 2 (N213): P045A Electrical Malfunction MIL ON, Fault Status 111000000, Fault Priority 2

I had him clear the codes and I took back out until Glowplug light came back and then scanned again, here are the results:

Exhaust Pressure Sensor 2: P047A Open Circuit, Fault Status 01100000, Fault Priority 2

EGR Valve 2 (N213): P045F Stuck Closed, Fault Status 01100000, Fault Priority 2

P045A Electrical Malfunction(no description of subsystem on this one): Fault Status 01100000, Fault Priority 2

After I drove away from the mechanic the car wasn't flashing the glowplug light and the shifting seemed normal again although it did throw the intermittent glowplug light briefly a couple times as it had been doing before but car seemed to be driving normal. Turned car off and back on and then the glowplug started flashing again constantly and the shifting delayed. Anyone have any ideas what might be happening?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I would say the car is going into limp mode due to the faulty pressure sensor and stuck egr valve. You'll probably have to tear into it to clean/replace the egr valve. The pressure sensor is quite easy to replace.

elliotth01

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportswagon
Thanks for the quick reply and this sounds encouraging. I'm going to replace the exhaust pressure sensor as the vagcam scan came back with 0 mb pressure which seems like a faulty sensor and I've seen that being pretty well documented in these forums. As for the EGR valve I'm going to have mechanic take a look and see if it looks clogged and clean if it is. Hopefully that does the trick but what I'm concerned about is that could this be an electrical relay issue of some sort with EGR valve and not allowing that to close? The vagcom scan does reference an electrical malfunction (P045A) Any thoughts on that and how I might troubleshoot?

What would the symptoms of an EGR valve that's clogged be, would it cause a delay in shifting and generally a little less power, like it's not aspirated properly? I have no choice but to drive this car right now so I'm babying it but should I not be driving it at all, could I potential cause further damage to other systems?

banshee365

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
If you're saying your trans was replaced I would also be looking there for workmanship problems. Particularly the grounds under the battery on top of the transmission. I would pull the battery and battery tray and have a look around. Also check the wires and cables around the battery. There is some stuff that can get knocked around hard when those highly trained AAA guys are throwing the battery into the hole. Use the correct battery for your car. Don't just throw in there whatever fits with the terminals in te right order. That is not how you treat a VW. Do not drive that car with that many faults on it more than you have to. Driving it for months like that is a very bad idea. Get that pressure sensor replaced and make sure you're treating your DPF good as you may know the 2009's DPF is quite expensive to replace.

elliotth01

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportswagon
Yes, transmission replaced but I'm confident in workmanship knowing the mechanic who did the work. Interesting you should say that about the battery as it seemed all of these issues with the engine fault workshop and glowplug light started after being on vacation and battery dying and no choice but to call AAA to replace. It certainly seemed like an electrical issue to me at time as those lights would only flash momentarily and intermittently but no loss of performance. We did still have CEL on prior to battery replacement and vagcom was referencing exhaust pressure sensor and regeneration wasn't occurring but I would take to local vw mechanic and he would put in to regeneration mode for me with his vagcom computer and I would drive until levels were acceptable. Now the newest manifestation is that the glowplug light is coming on and staying and car not shifting as quickly as it had, getting up around 3000+ rpm before shifting and a little loss in power. I'm going to replace the exhaust pressure sensor and see if EGR valve needs to be cleaned as now vagcom is saying that valve is stuck closed.

Can I just pull the battery and tray and to take a look at the connections under it to see if something loose and then put the battery back without that causing issues? I have only been driving it a few days after this latest issue with glowplug light and slightly lower performance and hope to had the issue worked on very soon. I'm having a hard time locating the EGR valve though, anyone have pics of location on 2009 jetta sportswagen? I have searching the internet to locate but haven't quite found what I need to help me identify. I also wanted to verify OEM part number on that one exhaust pressure sensor that's the easier of the two to check to make sure I'm getting the right sensor but having a bit of difficulty with locating that too so if anyone has any pics for that also it would be very much appreciated. Thanks again everyone for all of your help.

Gleidis

TDI
Golf Mk5 1.9 tdi
Glow plug flashing engine fault

Hello guys,
I have a golf Mk5 1.9 tdi 2005 ,i changed the engine of my car and i run around 120 km without a problem,today i start my car i run like 2-3 km and i saw this glow plug flashing and engine fault than the car switched of while driving then i start again a few minutes and again the same problem ,what problem can be i think that is sensor problem,please help me

dieselherb1

Veteran Member
TDI
06 MK5,09 Mk5 CR,03 Mk4,96,2-97 B4s,98 A3,2000 A4,4 Caddies( 2-1.6TD,1.6,TDI) Chevys 6.2,6.5,6.5TD
AAA should have used a memory saver plugged into the ODB port. You may need to do the transmission adaption but you will need Vagcom to do it.