O Ring(s) replacement for my '03 tdi oil cooler

mcarlito

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta wagon TDI
Hello, Original owner 03 tdi jetta wagon 286k. Never want to let it go. I ordered my O ring for the oil cooler and what came was two rings. One is a typical large O ring and the other has tabs on the inner part of the ring. Can anyone direct me to the How to's. I cannot find any instruction on my year car or engine. Thank you very much.:D

aNUT

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'01 TT (ALH-ish), B7 Audi gasser, '05 Golf
unplug & unbolt AC compressor, hang it back off the trans to gain access. Take the oil cooler lines off. Remove the 30mm (maybe 32mm) 'bolt' for the oil cooler. eared o-ring goes on top. Install the top one clean and dry, lube the bottom o-ring like it's a spin on oil filter cartridge.

mcarlito

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta wagon TDI
unplug & unbolt AC compressor, hang it back off the trans to gain access. Take the oil cooler lines off. Remove the 30mm (maybe 32mm) 'bolt' for the oil cooler. eared o-ring goes on top. Install the top one clean and dry, lube the bottom o-ring like it's a spin on oil filter cartridge.
Will I lose much oil when I remove the lower cap? Is this a good time to also do an oil change?? thank you

mcarlito

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta wagon TDI
I just looked under my car. I don't have the tools to release the tension on the belt that is connected to the compressor. Can I do this job without removing the compressor?? Is there a work around?? thank you:confused:

fossill

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
Not sure about your car but on my '03 Golf the job can be done without removing the ac compressor.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Did this operation not too long ago on my wife's 2000 Golf. I waited until it was time for an oil change. Clean everything up real good before unscrewing that lower housing piece. And after you're done spray things down with a bunch of water (I used a spray bottle) to rinse traces of cleaner off of the hoses.

The O-ring with the tabs goes on the top, I believe. It's obvious once you remove the cooler.

Also, make sure you have the right socket. You need a shallow, cup socket. It's like an oil filter socket. 27mm?

WayneJ

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI and 2003 Golf TDI
On my 2000 Jetta, I did it without removing the a/c compressor.

Clean everything really well BEFORE disassembly. I have had issues with the seals from aftermarket suppliers - the rubber was the wrong durometer (harder) and they leaked after only a short time. The ones from the dealer are considerably more expensive, but they trruly are better - and the lower seal has an anti-friction coating, which ensure it stays put during the torquing of the lower bolt.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I just loosen up the oil cooler nut, I've never taken the ac off or removed the oil hoses to the cooler itself. Yeah those ac lines are in the way and it would be nice if they werent there but you can work around them. Gotta say this is one messy job all the oil in the filter housing will drain right down your arms.

When you take it loose just pay attention to which seal goes where.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
On the AC hoses, you'll find that you cannot use a standard socket to get between them and on the nut, I couldn't. I ended up buying what was essentially an oil filter cap socket, 27mm I believe. You can place it over the bolt head by passing it over top/above the hoses and then sticking your extension up between the hoses to attach to the socket. A short socket might work, but I felt more confident with one of these (esp after I'd already spent on a socket that didn't work).

Here's the exact socket I purchased (no affiliation):

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MHT8CM0/ref=pe_861660_118320330_fxm_4_0_n_id