Can't Add Remote Using VCDS

DrSmile

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS PD 5spd Wagon
I have a problem with programming one of the original FOBs on my 2003 TDI wagon... All the keys start the car so the immobilizer doesn't seem to be the problem. When I add the both FOBs using a Vag-Com, I can successfully add both of them when I press the unlock key after I press save (after clearing keys), and I know this because the car beeps for each remote. However after this I can still not use the lock and unlock buttons on the one FOB. The other FOB always worked before, so I'm not sure if it's actually being reprogrammed with the Vag-Com... both FOBs light up their led when the buttons are pressed. I tried the "manual" lock reprogramming with one FOB in the ignition and one in the door lock (turn to lock, keep it there while pushing the buttons twice with a couple of seconds between) but that doesn't seem to work at all. This may be because I have an autowindow module installed? I turned the autowindow module "off" using a setting but the keys still won't reprogram... So my question is does the Vag-Com program the buttons or just the immobilizer? Is there any way to program the buttons besides the manual ignition/door procedure?

Uwe

Vendor , w/Business number
First off, the immobilizer has nothing to do with the remote fobs. They are two totally separate things, managed by two separate control modules in your car.

I don't know anything about "Auto Window", but I doubt that's the problem.

Try clearing the fobs in channel 0, then cycling the ignition and verifying that neither fob works. Then reprogram them. That way you'll have proved that you are programming one. It's possible the one fob that won't program is just plain NFG. It certainly wouldn't be the first time.

Label the fobs, A and B. Try programming A first, followed by B. Verify which one works and which one doesn't. Then clear 'em again and reverse the sequence, i.e. program B first, then A. If A or B consistently doesn't work, then I suspect that fob is NFG. If the SECOND fob you program consistently doesn't work, then you're doing something wrong.

-Uwe-

JasonMc

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta GL
I am having a similar issue with my 99.5. I don't have the immobilizer (not that that has anything to do with the remotes) so I don't have that headache.

The instructions on Ross-tech didn't say anything about deleting the old units first... I have no problem doing that! But before I even begin the VCDS stuff, I want to verify that my fob's are even working. I went to Radio Shack last night and purchased 4 new batteries. 2 for each remote. When I bought the car 2 years ago the previous owner told me only 1 remote worked. I never really looked into it unitl the one that did started to get weak and I had to hold it above the windshield to unlock the car.

OK... Now that I replaced the batteries, the one that did work.... doesn't! So I want to know does anyone here know what frequency these work on? I saw 315 MHz somewhere but when I tune my Icom PCR-2500 in that area I don't hear anything. In compairison, I tried my other vehicle remote at 432 MHz and it was nice and strong. So I am thinking I may have two dead key fobs... But if someone knows of a different frequency I will test it!

JasonMc

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta GL
So I answered my own question... I feel dumb posting this but if I can save someone else a little bit of trouble then it's all good!

I had the batteries installed + side up. They need to be + side DOWN! Once I corrected that, I went though the process deleting the old and starting fresh and the entire process took less than 20 seconds! Now I have 2 keys fobs that work! I have never had that since I bought the car!

Thanks for the updated instructions!

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Is there something that has to be done to "un-pair" a remote with a vehicle before it can be paired with a "new" vehicle?

I have an old remote for the '02 Golf that we were no longer using. Just bought an '01 that only had one key (new from dealer), but no remote with it. So, I put it with the "old" remote (new battery - little red light blinks) with it and tried every manner of remote matching (I've done this before a few times, and managed to get it to work) with no success.

The keys both work (i.e., play nice-nice with immobilizer), but every time I'm trying to do the remote matching, the "old" remote keeps beeping and locking/unlocking the '02 sitting beside it in the driveway. I tried this afternoon when my wife had the '02 out for a jaunt, but same thing - no remote pairing/matching going on.

Any ideas?

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
Is there something that has to be done to "un-pair" a remote with a vehicle before it can be paired with a "new" vehicle?

I have an old remote for the '02 Golf that we were no longer using. Just bought an '01 that only had one key (new from dealer), but no remote with it. So, I put it with the "old" remote (new battery - little red light blinks) with it and tried every manner of remote matching (I've done this before a few times, and managed to get it to work) with no success.

The keys both work (i.e., play nice-nice with immobilizer), but every time I'm trying to do the remote matching, the "old" remote keeps beeping and locking/unlocking the '02 sitting beside it in the driveway. I tried this afternoon when my wife had the '02 out for a jaunt, but same thing - no remote pairing/matching going on.

Any ideas?
2002 remote don't work in 2001 cars.
US market:
99.5 -2001 MK4 Jetta ,Golf and Beetle 1J0959753 F or T
2002-2006 MK4 Jetta ,Golf and 2002 -2009 Beetle =1J0959753 AM or DC

BoredAlwys

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI PD, Grey and black with triptonic
Changed [46] Chan 00 to 0, now now module [46]

Hey y'all question: After trying to reprogram my keys, and then reset the 46 controller to default, I no longer have access in VCDS to controller 46. Uwe with Ross-tech suggested pulling the fuse for the controller, or disconnecting the battery. I would disconnect the battery, if I new the security code to my radio. Anyone know what fuse, or how long it should be pull for, to make the control module reset? I pulled fuse #38 in my '04 Jetta for maybe 10 minutes, but it wasn't responding still. I have the bently too, so think i know what fuse should do what, but I could be wrong.
Thank you for your help,

BoredAlwys

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI PD, Grey and black with triptonic
VCDS remote programming/RESTART CENTRAL LOCKING MODULE?

oops, already asked and answered.

Last edited:

penguin6636

TDI
06 Golf, 04 V10 Touareg
You have to clear all keys that was before reprogram in car.I have done it a lot of keys with no problem.
Here:
[Select]
[35 - Cent. Locking]

[Adaptation - 10]
Enter channel "00"
[Read]
[Save]

Then THIS:
[Adaptation - 10]
Enter channel "01" (May be channel "21" in some Audi models).
[Read]
This will display the number of currently stored remotes in "Stored Value".
Enter your total number of keys up to a maximum of 4(including any existing keys) in "New Value"
[Test]
Verify that the number in "Test Value" is correct.
[Save]
What about when you have no response from "35 - Cent. Locking"?
https://ibb.co/iAwzWK
I've tried 46 Central Conv. as I've heard that's the other location but my channel 1 does not have "keys" and there is no remote options from the drop down in adaptation.
https://ibb.co/h1VRBK
https://ibb.co/dUTDrK

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
What about when you have no response from "35 - Cent. Locking"?
https://ibb.co/iAwzWK
I've tried 46 Central Conv. as I've heard that's the other location but my channel 1 does not have "keys" and there is no remote options from the drop down in adaptation.
https://ibb.co/h1VRBK
https://ibb.co/dUTDrK
35 central locking is for cars without power windows.

46 central convenience is for vehicles with power windows.

But that is an odd one. They must have made a change in the late Mk4s so the remote adaptation is no longer found in channel 01.

I haven't seen that before, personally.

When you first login to the 46 central convenience, on the main screen there will be a part number and a software revision number. Can you post what those are?

Tim_McDonald

TDI
Audi A4 B8 2008
You have to clear all keys that was before reprogram in car.I have done it a lot of keys with no problem.
Here:

[Select]

[35 - Cent. Locking]

[Adaptation - 10]
Enter channel "00"
[Read]

[Save]

Then THIS:
[Adaptation - 10]
Enter channel "01" (May be channel "21" in some Audi models).

[Read]

This will display the number of currently stored remotes in "Stored Value".

Enter your total number of keys up to a maximum of 4(including any existing keys) in "New Value"

[Test]

Verify that the number in "Test Value" is correct.

[Save]

Then press and hold (for at least one second) the UNLOCK button on the fob, at which time it will be learned. If you're programming more than one fob press and hold the UNLOCK button on the second fob for one second, press and hold the UNLOCK button on the third fob for one second, etc. You have a total of 15 seconds to do them all.

The car may give you some sort of acknowledgement as each key is learned (lights flash, horn beep, etc.)
Hello Team,

It will works for Audi A4 B8 2008 as well? I have only one key and cylinder key not working!! I am using remote only! plz for your advice!

jef@rosstech

Associate Ross-Tech Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 Dog hauling, wood towing, pinball stashing Jetta wagon