Significant Oil leak

Überläufer

TDI
2006 Jetta
While changing the VNT actuator on my turbo recently, I found a few oil leaks that have been pretty consistent the past year or two, with small drops occasionally found here and there. However, this time I noticed a considerable leak from what appears the be over the subframe. I'm going to remove the subframe to find out what's going on, but any ideas what this may be before I do so? I'm keeping a bucket under it right now as the leak is substantial. A couple pictures are linked below: :eek:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0FlmgqRBeCCUWNtd2JjbUxBU0NFa1JXSkFpaG1VMXc5YTRN
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0FlmgqRBeCCUEl4bGdWSjJydkxtTVRTMFRPeXJwU2lRaVdB

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Wow, that’s a lot of work for an oil leak. Like pulling the engine to change the oil.

Yes it would allow you to see more and better, but the most likely spot for an oil leak is the back of the valve cover.

The turbo oil supply line, where it fastens on top of your turbo. In which case the underneath of the turbo will be wet with oil. The turbo oil return line can also leak. That’s the short steel line under the turbo that you had to work around to replace the actuator.

Or the manifold gasket where the turbo or intake fastens to the head.

For a significant leak, usually it’s the valve cover., followed by the turbo oil line where it fasteners on top of the turbo.

Last edited:

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
I just recently had removed and then re-installed the subframe, so I know something about this. There is nothing pertaining to the engine oil that passes over the subframe, so the oil you are seeing there has to be coming from somewhere else and removing the subframe will probably not be helpful in identifying or correcting the cause. I believe Tdijarhead is correct in suspecting the oil as coming from the cylinder head cover. There are 13 bolts holding it on, and they seem to like to work loose over time. Leakage from the oil return line fitting on the bottom of the turbo would also likely land on the subframe, so looking closely at that might be helpful.

Another potential cause can involve vacuum problems, so it might be worth your time to verify that all vacuum related components are working correctly.

Überläufer

TDI
2006 Jetta
Ok, after taking those suggestions and looking at those items, I see that the oil turbo oil supply line fitting is definitely leaking oil. I put a mirror behind where the actuator after having the engine run and a considerable amount of oil was present. I removed the cooler line to get to the mounting bolts to remove the VNT actuator, and thought I secured it when I was done.

Looking at the Bentley manual, it shows that part actually should be replaced every time it's removed.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=16LrZEgMbfqHjqFB-__izeI2rCn8th_UG

https://www.idparts.com/turbo-oil-feed-line-threaded-union-junction-oem-a3brmcbeacjaa-p-5057.html

Over $30 for the small fitting :eek: Does not appear to include the gasket though.

Last edited:

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
VW has numerous parts where VW's and Bentley's manuals say to renew them every time. When I would go to my local dealer to buy such things, they most often do not have them in stock, leading me to believe that even the actual VW mechanics at the dealer do not renew them either. Oilhammer and other professional mechanics on this board have also suggested renewing some things every time is not needed. I recently had my turbo off, but simply reconnected the existing oil line when reinstalling it and it seems to be a non-issue in my experience.