White smoke- am I being paranoid

chattowntdi

TDI
‘15 golf 6mt Malone stage 2, Buzzken delete, '04 Jetta 5 speed (sold), '02 Jetta 5 speed (also sold)
So I’ve noticed on several occasions now since I bought my ‘15 golf about 6 weeks ago that it smokes when it’s cold out. Similar to a gasoline car in cold weather but different in a few ways. We have had a pretty wet and mild winter but have had a few cold snaps and this morning was one of them. It was about 27 degrees Fahrenheit this am. Let the car run for about 10 minutes and purposefully checked the exhaust before leaving as this has been a concern of mine. Faint white smoke. Actually had to pay close attention to see it. No abnormal smells. Left to take the kiddo to school and as I turn off my road there is about 1/4 mile up hill. Pulling up the hill I can see white smoke in the rear view blowing around behind the car. I stop to investigate but the smoke goes away unless accelerating, particularly up a hill, so couldn’t see any smoke again at idle. No unusual smells either. Granted, the engine was not warmed up yet. The temp needle had barely moved at all. And it all soon went away. But this makes several times now I’ve noticed it and wanted to ask for reassurance.

15TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
White smoke like oil burning or "white smoke" like it's actually heated moisture passing?

If it's only when it's cold I would assume it's water vapor and not actually smoke which would be normal. If it's actually smells and during all temperatures then you have an issue.

chattowntdi

TDI
‘15 golf 6mt Malone stage 2, Buzzken delete, '04 Jetta 5 speed (sold), '02 Jetta 5 speed (also sold)
I would say like heated moisture/steam type “smoke.” Maybe I used the wrong terminology. Either way I’ve not seen other diesels burn moisture like a gasoline burning vehicle like that. St least none of my previous diesels, which have been quite a few but have also been mainly older without all the emissions equipment.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
It happens once in a while with these cars. i think it's the emissions system trying to warm up, and it emits a little steam. Most noticeable on cool, damp days. I've seen it too.

chattowntdi

TDI
Awesome! That’s relieving to hear. I just thought it was a bit odd. I looked around the web and didn’t see much other than problems I’m pretty certain I don’t have. Thank you guys for the replies!

gwc

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S
Mine occasionally makes some steam when it is cold too. I thought that was a bit odd for the same reasons listed earlier, but I guess all combustion technically does produce water that has to go somewhere.

Also this is my first diesel so I had no frame of reference.

2015 Golf TDI S model here.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Defiantly seems like a steam to me. Mine at times will do it, but not most of the time. Only on cooler damp mornings which would make sense honestly. Moisture in the exhaust heating up and turning to vapor. Would be most noticeable when accelerating as the engine is under load and making more heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Whats cold for Chattanooga TN? 30F? It was 0F this morning and both our TDI and 1.8T gasser were billowing "steam" out the back. Completely normal especially during warm up.

Heck our gasser even once warmed up and under 10F if you floor it to pass will emit so much condensation the rear window will collect and freeze the condensation.

chattowntdi

TDI
Haha well cold for us in Chattanooga is anything under 20 lol. Gassers emit steam quite often when colder out but haven’t noticed diesels doing it. We have had an exceptionally wet last few months also so that could be contributing to the steam as well I suppose. Thank you guys for putting my mind at ease. This is what I was suspecting but as I stated haven’t noticed it from diesels. I figured some of the colder climate diesel gurus would know. ??