Radio Upgrade suggestions

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
Want to put a better headunit in my 2012 JSW.
Current is RCD310, but CD player is toast I think.

Requirements are all the above unit has, plus:
Rearview Camera.
Nav that is easy to upgrade.

I'm not very Tech minded so not sure whats good to have, and not.
Looked at the later RNS510 OEM units, but they are expensive, AND difficult to update Nav!

The aftermarket units look good, but the reviews are as spotty as the reliability.

Anyone done this recently and what your experience?

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
You’re radio is an RCD-510. The RNS-510 is very easy to update when new maps are released. You insert the DVD, select install, and select save. What’s your budget? You could get an RNS-315.

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
You’re radio is an RCD-510. The RNS-510 is very easy to update when new maps are released. You insert the DVD, select install, and select save. What’s your budget? You could get an RNS-315.

I thought mine was an RCD310.
No Nav, no rear camera.

No budget yet, just fishing for ideas.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
You’re radio has the touchscreen and 6 cd changer. It’s the RCD-510. You can get one that has a backup camera input on the rear, but it won’t have nav. That’s the RNS-510.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
My 2012 JSW didn't have nav or a backup camera. It was an RCD-510.
Here are the pictures I pm'ed you about:

I don't have my 2012 anymore so if anyone wants this stuff, PM me.

I never found a suitable upgrade path for that RCD-510. If it's just mapping then get the correct MDI cable and use the phone's app or Waze. I have tried every iteration of VW's systems in a variety of models and the only one worth anything was the MIBII...and that's because it's basically a screen for the phone's CarPlay or Android Auto. If you want to go aftermarket, there is a specific module you'll want to buy to retain the vehicle's functionality. I believe I'm thinking of this: http://maestro.idatalink.com

The one upgrade I did was a JL Audio stealthbox and an aftermarket amp for it.
I also still have that but haven't decided if I want to replace the Fender sub with it. Either way, one or the other is or will be available.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
You could always move to the RCD330 from overseas. Retains factory appearance, fast interface along with CarPlay or Android Auto.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/RCD...-Radio-6RD035187B-For-Golf-5/32861894227.html

Some drawbacks include loss of AM and satellite function but you would be able to use the Sirius app instead. I do not know about the compatibility of the reverse camera.

I was TDIless for about a year and drove a Mk7 GTI, I miss the the quick interface and Apple car play that was in that vehicle. My wife still drives a Mk7 GTI and I am always reminded how slow my head unit (RNS 315) is when I drive her car.

Last edited:

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow, that was not an option when I had my 2012!

If anyone else in SoCal wants to go in on a group buy, please let me know.
I'll probably put my order in this weekend. Thank you, Matt!
man I swear you saved me a couple grand

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
The issue with the RCD330 is the backup camera is kind of iffy. Some require timers to make them work properly.

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
I'm old.... 57... so I'm not up to speed on Apps and the like...
Our ML320 has an SD card slot, but I've failed to get it to read anything I've done so far!

I have like 100 Music CD's on my old laptop, but I'd burned them to Windows Media Player, and I could not get it to output in MP3. I finally figured out how to do it, but I wont embarrass myself by telling you all the details of how I did it.... but that laptop has a DVD burner, but no SD card slot... my new laptop has a SD card slot but no DVD... Anyway, I now have a 32gig SD card loaded with all my music... in MP3... but its all kinda jumbled up... and Yes, I found out that this head unit can decode WMA.... after the fact!:eek:

I have a Iphone 7+, and I got a cable to charge it that goes in the armrest pug to free up my 12v socket for my Garmin GPS.

We have a Subscription to Sirius on the ML, but dont know if its economical to add another car or App to that... I'm cheap!

I/We use that, or Waze regularly.

I've looked at multiple units and some offer wireless rearview and others wired... I dont want to fiddle with settings really to see behind me when I put the car in reverse! I just want it to work!

I also want to add a dash cam at some point with all the idiots on the roads these days, and I see some aftermarket units can receive and loop record that too...

Here are a few of the aftermarket units I have looked at...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-VW-Jet...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-inch-Car...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/9inch-Head...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
I stayed up until 6am reading everything I could find on those 330plus (and 340s).

For less than $200 dollars that will do everything you want to do.
The option I was aware of was a $2,000-$2,500 option depending on how extravagent a screen desired (6.5, 8, and I think 9.2). That's for a complete swap to current MIB2 unit.

The 330 is a VW solution. These are pulls from the Chinese market.
There were early reporting of back up camera issues, etc. because the firmware is being updated by a third party but they seem mostly resolved and don't have any bearing on you anyway...since you don't already have a backup camera when you want one you can buy one that you are reasonably certain to be compatible with the 330.

There are hundred page threads to sift through for info and advice, but I'm going to send an order out this weekend and I'll be able to help you out with any technical information. I've been reading up on this stuff for a good 5 years or more and this is the most straightforward way to achieve what you want. The aftermarket solutions are going to be spendy and sub-optimal. Everything, and I mean everything, runs through that unit in the VW. It will take time and/or money thrown at an aftermarket unit to get it and the vehicle back to somewhat stock+ functionality. There's a reason people don't do this frequently even for those of us with some experience under the belt.

I believe this is the most up-to-date model for your application: 6RF035187E
and looks like this:

You can see the Carplay feature in the picture. It simply mirrors your phone. You lose HD Radio and Sirius compatibility (a feature imo), but none of that matters if you can use pandora or spotify or iheartradio, etc., waze/maps (no more worrying about nav updates) all navigated via touchscreen on your center console. I would not add any vehicles to Sirius and in fact would suggest dumping the service (unless you have lifetime or your wife demands it). Our household has the family plan, which I think is about $60/yr for 5 accounts unlimited streaming, local downloads if necessary, higher quality. I haven't listened to the radio in a good 5+ years except the occasional 91X but isn't the same as it was twenty years ago.

After driving our 2016 Golf for three years with Carplay going back to the crappy MDI system that we have was my only hesitation in getting back into a TDI. I budgeted a couple grand for an upgrade and bought low enough I wouldn't be hurting too badly. I'm still hesitant to go full out upgrade because more features are coming down the pipe, which are unlikely to be updated into older units. Features like BT Carplay will be noticeable quality of life updates so I'm holding off on spending $2K+. Unless I'm mistaken, when this was first an option the cost was quite a bit more and still a trailblazing adventure even with the hefty price tag.

For $200, this is a no brainer.

Thunder Chicken

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
A few threads down I was having issues with my oem radio. So I..errr... fixed the electrical issue and installed one of these: Atoto A6 https://www.amazon.ca/ATOTO-Android...ocphy=9000678&hvtargid=pla-576298444536&psc=1

It has an option for a back up camera and uses google or CarPlay for Nav out of the box. Adding different apps would give more nav options.
So far we like it.
Do you know the Quality of these units? It has a built in mic but shows a mic input on the back. I hesitate to buy a built it mic as they usally are crappy.

Choddaboy

TDI
2014 Golf Sportwagen TDI, Jetta 2001 TDI (sold)
Do you know the Quality of these units? It has a built in mic but shows a mic input on the back. I hesitate to buy a built it mic as they usally are crappy.
It's a great budget headunit. I've installed several of them on customers cars. I'll likely be putting the same one on my jsw so long as I sort out idatalink with them.

vincej

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Wagon
My 2014 TDI base wagon does not have steering wheel controls. Am I correct in assuming none of these head units will work in my car? Anything that will?

Choddaboy

TDI
2014 Golf Sportwagen TDI, Jetta 2001 TDI (sold)
My 2014 TDI base wagon does not have steering wheel controls. Am I correct in assuming none of these head units will work in my car? Anything that will?
No steering wheel controls will make it easier for you to integrate an aftermarket headunit. Not sure about the VW specific HU's.

CDKJudoka

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
It'll work without any issues. Should you decide to upgrade to a steering wheel with controls, it will work as well. You will just need to code your car for the additional functionality.

hamilgs

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta & 2014 JSW 6MT
Vincej: My '14 JSW, TDI, MT6 (no roof), came with RCD-510, and now has a late model RNS-510 (SSD). The RNS-510 has a lousy user interface and is slow, however I like having two nav units (RNS-510 & smartphone) running at the same time. I usually keep the RNS zoomed out so I can see the "big picture". My car came with full steering wheel controls and I like them. I'm upgrading to a GTI, flat bottom steering wheel, so my MFSW will available soon.