A lot of Smoke during an uphill drive....

The_Oz

Just curious what you guys/gals think it is.

I made a wrong turn on a street that ended up being an uphill (don't know what the grade is, but it's long). Anyway, shifted at 2600rpm on 2nd to 3rd, and as I was nearing 2600 again on 3rd gear, I notice a whole whack of smoke on my rear view mirror. Colour was greyish. Not too white (coolant), not to black (fuel) either. My foot, btw, wasn't at WOT.

Fear for damaging anything, I decided not to do it again, and did the same shifting on a slight uphill a few minutes later with no problems.

I do have a bad transmission at the present time. And the turbo or the head is leaking (cannot pinpoint the problem). I did recently replaced my coolant, water pump, & thermo last week. My alt. belt needs a slight readjustment. The car is a '91 Jetta 1.6L TD.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Oz

Doublefelix

Veteran Member
Allentown, PA. Do they grow rice in Germany?
If the "greyish" smoke is blueish it is oil burning. . .what "mileage", I dont know the km term, is the car?
Also, check for water in in the fuel system. you might want to change the fuel filter. a little water in the system does strange things.

[ June 02, 2002, 20:56: Message edited by: Doublefelix ]

The_Oz

341000kms plus change on the odometer. I don't see any blue at all. I've changed the fuel filter with an OEM bosch filter around 5000-6000km ago (my records are at work). However, I haven't drained the water separator underneath the car as per Bentley. I'll give that a shot.

Thanks,

Oz

P.S. The car doesn't seem to respond very well when this happens.