Want my 2003 wagon back. Or buy another?

trafly

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Hello All, First not sure where I should be posting this, plz correct if needed.
SO the deal is by beloved Wagon was hit (by an UBER) the week after completing a 7k trip around the country.
GOOD: Before trip, total timing belt job, did front struts, brakes (pads and rotors) front and back. Car has Panzer skid with side plates, trailer hitch, GLS with leather seats, ESP, Moon roof etc. Fuel pump rebuilt at 100K. New windshield, new glow plug wiring harness.
BAD: Needs tires, Biggest issues is that the heat in Florida destroyed the seats, all bottoms cracked and split, and the rear half of the head liner is now hanging. (never take a black car to FL in summer!) Radio reception is weak, but works.
So, the insurance company wants to scrap the car. In my opinion they are not appraising the car correctly. They compared it to gas! Body was it good shape, no rust, no real dents or scratches.
The shop appraisals are in the $4-5.3K range. They are now offering me in the high $6k.
My question: Option 1: Take money and buy new TDI, but what year. I'm think that the ALH maybe the best version. Option 2: Take a bit less, keep the car with a salvage title and repair vehicle? What would the seats and head liner cost me?? Option 3: Keep beating up the insurance company to see if I can get the to appraisal high enough that they will repair the car and not consider it a salvage?
Does anyone know what the MSRP for this car would have been?
Thanks, hope I receive some responses soon as I'm trying to settle this with the insurance.

Last edited:

Rxfire

Veteran Member
TDI
2 each 03 5 speed Jetta wagons, 1 NA Isuzu P'up (a keeper)
Buy another. Rob whatever parts you can get. I had an insurance guy encourage me to take the hitch off my Saturn wagon they totaled after a front end T-bone

IF you have storage space, see what the "buy it back" cost from Insurance Co would be until you get another wagon (use your old one for parts).

Suggested parts: center console lid, any cargo protection (Weathertech?), floor mats, headrests, cupholder (if in dash, some 03's had them in dash), radio knobs, lug nut covers...what else???

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
When I had my golf totaled here is what I did. I took the insurance amount - I thought it was high actually, bought the car from insurance for $800 and sold it immediately for $1500 to someone who parted them out for side cash - not my idea of a good time.

I hated to see the car go - but it was mostly dead and I was satisfied financially. Dude, it's a car.

Then go buy another 2003 wagon. Nice ones with 150k miles can be had for 6-7K.

trafly

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Thanks all for your comments. At this point I'm hoping to get as much out of their insurance, keep the car while I figure out whether to buy a new or repair the old. Wish I could come up with a realistic value for the car, pre accident.
I'll ask this again, if you were looking for another TDI, and if long term life and reliability/low overall cost were your primary considerations, what year would you buy?
Thanks

Rxfire

Veteran Member
TDI
What would I buy? What will tow my boat and get 33 mpg doing it? And get 45 mpg without the boat?

If I could afford it, a Tesla (but will it tow???)

It is a question I ask myself a lot while we maintain these 2003 wagons....so, likely, another 2003 wagon (or a 2015 wagon?)

For market values, see: (show these to the insurance guy, then tell him that these have likely not been maintained as well as yours)

http://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...Id=20216&searchSource=GN_REFINEMENT&pgId=2102

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...startYear=1996&searchRadius=0&bodyStyleCodes=[WAGON]

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I don't think $6K+ is unreasonable. It's a 12 year old economy car with 100K miles on it. It may be worth more to you (as mine is to me) but that seems pretty fair.

Regarding repairing it, depends on the damage and how likely it is to be made right. You could collect the insurance, buy it back, and have it fixed. Or move on. A '15 or '16 (once they're available) isn't a terrible idea.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
How bad is the damage? It's likely an independent shop coild fix it cheaper than a dealership... There was a 2003 TDI Wagon here locally on CL for cheap that I'm kicking myself for not buying. It had rear pillar and hatch damage that was fixable. Someone else bought it and is parting it out... Anyways, if I was looking for long term reliability and low cost of ownership, I would buy another '03. You can spend $5000 on one put another $2000 in it for maintenance/repair and be FAR LESS than $22,000ish for a new one...

Hell, you can buy one for $5000, maintenance and repair another $2000 then have it resprayed for another $2000 if you REALLY wanted shiney paint...

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
Rxfire doesn't get to vote. He's got like 6 2003 wagons...

My vote? see my sig.

trafly

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
RX FIRE et. al,
Again thanks for the replies. I'm going to send off the cars you linked as mine was certainly as well stocked as the more expensive link. As I was not the original buyer, I'm finding it hard to figure out the original MSRP. I'm slowly learning that the GLS package on my car doesn't include the ESP nor the heated leather seats or Monsoon radio.
Current damade is bodiy panels down the left side. From stem to stern. Biggest worry was the point of impact was my left front wheel. Alignment is now off, as the collision occurred a slow rate of speed, an a very slight angle (he was trying to merge over) I'm hoping that it will only need a nwe alignment and something is not "structurally damaged" Any advice?
If one were going to consider looking for a newer TDI, Are there any years that stand out better? Worse?
Again thanks to all.

Rxfire

Veteran Member
TDI
Mike--I am down to only 2 wagons, just could not drive them enough to justify keeping more than 2. Sold the others to close friends, 1 of those is 5 miles away, the other is in Tucson.

trafly--the 2004's are my least favorite engines.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Alignment off is probably a bent strut and/or tie rod, maybe some damage to the spindle or control arm. And even if the mounting points for the control arm are damaged, subframes aren't that expensive.

I'd have someone take a close look at the B pillar to make sure that is straight or can be straightened. The rest is cosmetic. Fender, door skins, fix or replace the rear quarter. Not a huge deal.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
If you just want something to drive, total it out with the highest payout you can negotiate, then buy it back and have it repaired at an independent shop.

Document all the repairs so when you go to sell it you can show any potential buyers the details and that it wasn't structural.

Or take the cash and get yourself into a new wagen. There's not contest aesthetically or comfort wise between the old and the new, imo. There's even a significant difference between the 2012 we have and the new platform. If you decide to go new then wait for the 2016s.

trafly

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Thanks all for the input. Here's the update. I was able to have the other driver's insurance pay me $ and give me a clear title. So my plan now is to rebuild and improve my current ride. I was able to find all the exterior parts, in black, so I'm hoping to just swap out, and then improve this ride, suspension, injectors Tune??, stereo, etc. That is if the alignment isn't a big fix. And the best part, is come out with money still in the bank.