35+offset

marcodant

TDI
2015 golf TDI SEL
Will there be any issues or modification needed on 225 40 18 tires on 18x8 et 35 wheels? Yes alignment I would expect. thanks guys

Korab

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 golf TDI SEL 6MT w/ lighting and driver assistance package
Changing wheels doesn't require an alignment.

Ruso Turisto

TDI
2015 MK7 Wagon Highline 6 speed MT
This is just flat out dead wrong, but I am interested to hear why you think this.
Not trying to mislead anyone, just based on my experience. My other vehicle is Subaru STI which is very sensitive to any misalignment. I run stock wheels in the winter and aggressive offset wheels in the summer, and basically, have to redo alignment before each season when I do a changeover, its very minor adjustment, but you can definitely feel it in the steering wheel. Perhaps, it's not just offset, but the overall diameter and width of the wheels are different as well. Am I imagining this, or there is some evidence to back this up?

Korab

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 golf TDI SEL 6MT w/ lighting and driver assistance package
Not trying to mislead anyone, just based on my experience. My other vehicle is Subaru STI which is very sensitive to any misalignment. I run stock wheels in the winter and aggressive offset wheels in the summer, and basically, have to redo alignment before each season when I do a changeover, its very minor adjustment, but you can definitely feel it in the steering wheel. Perhaps, it's not just offset, but the overall diameter and width of the wheels are different as well. Am I imagining this, or there is some evidence to back this up?
I think what you are experiencing is the tendency of a vehicle to go out of alignment over time. when you switch to your wider, stickier rubber on your summer tires, you can feel it more. Alignment doesnt have anything to do with the tires at all - alignment occurs when the hubs are parallel - potholes and hard cornering and simply driving the vehicle, over time, can cause the vehicle to come out of alignment.

Offset is simply how much of the wheel is out side of the wheels connection to the hub. a lower offset pushes more of the wheel outside the hub and away from the centerline of the vehicle. It has nothing to do with alignment. The hubs are either aligned or not no matter what offset wheel is bolted to them.

Caster and camber are other aspects of alignment, but unless you are significantly changing the diametewr of the tire, those wont be affected by a change in offset.

Changing offset is no different than adding spacers.

Ruso Turisto

TDI
2015 MK7 Wagon Highline 6 speed MT
I think what you are experiencing is the tendency of a vehicle to go out of alignment over time. when you switch to your wider, stickier rubber on your summer tires, you can feel it more. Alignment doesnt have anything to do with the tires at all - alignment occurs when the hubs are parallel - potholes and hard cornering and simply driving the vehicle, over time, can cause the vehicle to come out of alignment.
Offset is simply how much of the wheel is out side of the wheels connection to the hub. a lower offset pushes more of the wheel outside the hub and away from the centerline of the vehicle. It has nothing to do with alignment. The hubs are either aligned or not no matter what offset wheel is bolted to them.
Caster and camber are other aspects of alignment, but unless you are significantly changing the diametewr of the tire, those wont be affected by a change in offset.
Changing offset is no different than adding spacers.
Thank you for clarification, it makes sense. I do have a tendency to go sideways on untreated surfaces in the STi, and as a result the alignment probably goes off a notch.

japorms

TDI
2015 VW Golf Highline
Hi Marcodant. Were you able to use a +35 offset wheel? I have 2015 golf tdi highline and I am planning to buy a Jnc or alzor wheel but I am scared to go through because it only has 35 offset. Any problem you encounter?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Your car will get a little dirtier, that's about it.

BMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Touareg TDI
Hi Marcodant. Were you able to use a +35 offset wheel? I have 2015 golf tdi highline and I am planning to buy a Jnc or alzor wheel but I am scared to go through because it only has 35 offset. Any problem you encounter?
I too was looking at the same wheels but I found with 35 offset they would poke to much for my liking. I just ordered Golf R reps from Alzor 19 X 8.5 with an offset of 45.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
8.5" wheels with 45mm et will sit about 3.5mm inboard vs. 8" wheels with 35mm et. Pretty minimal difference. Maybe a bit more at the tire if you're stretching 225 tires onto the 8.5" rims. I have 8" x 35mm et wheels on my mk6 and they are basically flush- no poke.

BMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Touareg TDI
Safe tire range for a 8.5 rim are 225-255 I'm leaning towards 235 but just want to make sure they won't rub on the TDI. Anyone running a 235-35-19?

mensor

TDI
‘15 GSW TDI
Safe tire range for a 8.5 rim are 225-255 I'm leaning towards 235 but just want to make sure they won't rub on the TDI. Anyone running a 235-35-19?
I’m on the Golf R Cadiz (19x8 ET 50) with 235-35-19 P-Zero Neros. No issues here.