Multifunction Steering wheel on an early 2000

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Has anyone out there managed to upgrade their 4 spoke non multifunction steering wheel??

This options (multifunction steering wheel) was a late 2000 model addition. The build date on my car is 12/99. I'm concerned about Can-bus problems if I attempt this mod.

thanks!

Lito

[ August 21, 2002, 10:53: Message edited by: tongsli ]

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Good thought. It might require a CAN bus control module replacement to recognize the steering wheel box. Or is it just a dumb arbitrator for the bus? (Note: Michael Moore didn't change his CAN bus controller when he added the park distance control.) This makes me lean towards not a problem. Perhaps Uwe might know?

How about the air bag? Is it the same for steering wheels with or without the switches?

ETKA got different part numbers?

Sorry, just MO'
questions.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mo,

Not sure about the switches. Hmmm...Can-bus control module, sounds expensive. The Multifunction Steering wheel control module is $200 from Impex

Airbag is different than the non-multifunction wheel, but I've got the leather steering wheel with buttons and the airbag that matches.

If you look on an ETKA, the multifunction steering wheel was available in late 2000 model year.

Glen, I've got alot of the parts CHEAP and have SVTWEB's help, we just can't tell what the Can-bus will do with the information. Michael's Golf is newer than my Jetta, that's probably why the PDC worked with no problems.

thanks,

Lito

[ August 21, 2002, 21:38: Message edited by: tongsli ]

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Connecting up the bus wires correctly shouldn't do anything harmful. It is more of a question about communication protocal. I can't imagine them changing since VAG-COM, etc., work on such a variety of cars with differing options. I'm betting it will work without incident.

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup-Edition EVO 4-Motion
Can-bus control Module..... Now, what orifice did you pull that one out of? There is no such thing as a Can-bus control module.

CAN-BUS stands for Car-Area-Network.

Most of your vehicle systems communicate with each other through this network. Your door modules, Central convienence, Instrument Cluster, ECU, Seat memory, and for those with Navigation, the radio. Signals are trasmitted along 2 wires. Orange/Black=CAN-HI Orange/Brown=CAN-LO. It is a forn of arcnet. On thing that I have found is my 2002 Supports Dynamic addressing and coding. When I installed my power seats with memory, the Central convienence module automatically coded itself with the change.

Personally, I feel that the Multi Function Steering wheel is a can do. According to ETKA the central convienence module is the same from 10/98-05/01 with the only exception being if you have power seats with memory or not. This would lead me to believe that you could do a retrofit, provided you took your time and connected the right wires where they belong.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
E,

I've been studying the wiring diagrams provided by PTC. Looks logical, there are just a few wires I have yet to identify

L

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
SVTWEB, it appears to be a part of the instrument cluster. Why do I say this? Look up instrument cluster DTC's 01044, 01312. Perhaps I should have typed "logic" instead of "module".

Regardless. I agree with you that this mod is a CAN do too.

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup-Edition EVO 4-Motion
Originally posted by MOGolf:
SVTWEB, it appears to be a part of the instrument cluster. Why do I say this? Look up instrument cluster DTC's 01044, 01312. Perhaps I should have typed "logic" instead of "module".

Regardless. I agree with you that this mod is a CAN do too.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">OK.. I see in Bentleys where you could come up with that conclusion. The advantage that Lito has is the cluster in his car falls into the same years as the option of Multi Function Steering wheel. With this being said, and the fact that there isn't a separate part number for a cluster, I feel that CAN-BUS communication issues should not be a problem.

[ August 23, 2002, 04:50: Message edited by: SVTWEB ]

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks to Eric and Glen and PTC

After several hours of going though parts sourced via Eric, I now have a complete understanding of how to install this thing.

Thanks to Msuave too for the connector tap info. Too bad I didn't email you sooner!!

I'm not completely sure how to document this process. I don't know if folks out there are even interested in this install or not.

While I'm waiting for my connectors, I will shoot the heck out of the OEM parts, connectors, wires and the like so that I can assemble a set of instructions Michael Moore and MOGOLF -style.

Hopefully,(with fingers crossed) this will work. If not, then someone with a late model 2001 or newer will have one helpful set of instructions to work with. But, I'm hopeful and confident.

Thanks,

Lito

[ August 23, 2002, 13:33: Message edited by: tongsli ]

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Or you could send the parts here and get a set of MOGolf style installation instructions in return.

PTC

Veteran Member
TDI
HMaracic
Actually CAN-bus means Controller Area Network. It is like 10Mbit coax Ethernet. There is no module controlling CAN-bus, just like the Ethernet every controller is "spliced" into the wire, only the cable is a twisted pair wire (to shield from interference), not coax. They then talk on the one-talks, others-listen principle, and then each module sees if that bit of info is interesting for it.

[ August 23, 2002, 13:45: Message edited by: PTC ]

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Update:

Finished the 1st step in this install:

1. mounted the Multifunction Control Module onto the upper relay plate, and the volume control for the radio.

This is a real PITA. You will need to remove the cowl on your windshiled, remove the wipers and wiper motors to open the Plenum that houses connectors from the ECU to the relays.

Find the connector for the OEM cruise control and replace it with the NEW connector that runs to the Multifunction Control module.

This is all I had time to do today, but that was enough of a job.

Next:

1. Power
2. Gound
3. Dash light power
4. K-wire
5. Horn Relay(one wire)
6. Airbag harness
7. canceling ring
8. New signal stalk
9. steering wheel and airbag

I'll be sure to photograph this part of the procedure and what the mounted control module looks like now, since everything is still open.

Lito

[ August 25, 2002, 21:18: Message edited by: tongsli ]

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Finished, finished, finished. Yahoo! I actually finished much earlier than this post, just didn't get a chance to upload the pics till now.

Here are just a few, will take more later during daylight hours.

The module for the Multifunction Steering wheel is the large black one 452(upside down). What a mess of wires. I will be wrapping and taping things up when I get time.

K-wire splicing

Removing the steering wheel, top and bottom covers. The canceling ring comes off next and then the MFA stalk followed by the turn signal stalk.

I'm not sure what folks would want to know, but if you're interested in this mod, you'll have to source parts from a salvage yard, a used airbag from someone's car. I don't believe this would be economical or practical to buy the parts just to do this mod.

Thanks Eric for the help and support.

Everything works:

Horn
Cruise Control
Radio
LED lights
Turn Signals

Lito

[ August 27, 2002, 09:25: Message edited by: tongsli ]

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Pooch744

tongsli: I'm very much looking at doing this. I've already found a source for the turn signal stalk and a wheel (no airbag..dang it). But i was wondering, since you've done this.

Do i need to get the module for the Multifunction Steering wheel to get the cruise control to work??? Would the signal stalk and the wheel be all that i need?? Cause thats what i really want, i have a after market stero, so the volume wouldn't with out further mods.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Do i need to get the module for the Multifunction Steering wheel to get the cruise control to work???
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes, the Multifunction Steering wheel module takes (4) of the (6) wires that come from the ECU into itself and back out to a (10) pin connector at the bottom of the turn signal stalk, and also diverts the RESUME, SET and CANCEL to the buttons on the steering wheel.

Would the signal stalk and the wheel be all that i need??
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No, this will not work. You need the module. The module is used to transfer the cruise contols to the switches on the steering wheel.

You will need:

The module and "plate" that goes into the relay panel; the canceling ring(it has a 5th pin); and the harness that comes with the steering wheel(which you should have). It's the 5-pin harness that's in the steering wheel and connects to the airbag. It is yellow with a purple plastic catch in the center.

Lito

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Canceling Ring

Harness that goes into the Canceling ring through the hole above the steering wheel bolt.

As it would be installed:(airbag harness is missing)

[ August 30, 2002, 22:35: Message edited by: tongsli ]

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Wow, I just found this. When converting from non-MF (multifunction) to MF MK4 wheel, if I only want my horn to work, do I have to do all this? Just swapped wheels, I have the non-mf harness (yellow plug airbag harness wire) and the original. I used the new MF wire harness, and my horn does not work. I am fearing this wiring madness is somehow to fault?

Did you horn (just the horn) work AFTER the swap, but before all this? Thanks.

Sanatkar61

TDI
2001 Golf 1.9 TDI PD 85 KW
Hello, greetings from Turkey tongsl forgive my English is very bad, I need your help. I want to convert my golf mk4 pd 2001 tdi functional steering wheel. If you have all ready you can share the pictures of the connection diagram. THANKS