Before I drive off the lot...?

XCRunner

TDI
Repost from the MKVI thread... (Sorry if thats a no no)
Hey everyone I first of all want to thank you all for being such a great help. You have fielded and answered all of my questions quickly and in very friendly manner. Im really glad I stumbled across this site while I was doing research for this car.
I just got off the phone with Chris from Langhorne VW (highly recommended) and he said that Im all set up to come pick my car up this weekend!!!! :D :D
My fiancee and I will be making the 6 hour drive from northern Ohio Friday night and plan on picking it up Saturday.
I have read up and studied all of the break-in procedures and stuff like that. I need to track down the headlight and body protector film and Im considering the current need to save up for VCDS or Scangauge. Any suggestions on either one would be much appreciated.

I guess my last question is what should I be looking for, things I need to be aware of, before I drive it off the lot? I saw the screw and license thing, anything else?
Thank you again for all of your help. Ill post pics as soon as I can!!

Runner

DoctorDawg

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta Loyal Edition
Those few problems which some people have encountered in the new CRs are mostly things which you aren't going to see for the first 1000+ miles, so other than a walk-around and make sure everything works, I can't think of any watch-outs. If its a DSG tranny it will bang on you right out of the box if only because you haven't learned the trick to driving it yet, plus it probably hasn't completed adaptation yet, so don't worry about trying to assess the DSG.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Before finalizing purchase, spend a half hour looking around the whole outside of the car, the inside of car, underneath the car...looking for dents, shipping damage, etc. Check for wet carpet on floorboards.

Take car for a drive and make sure it drives ok. Make sure steering wheel is centered and it does not pull to either side. Make sure gearbox shifts right.

XCRunner

TDI
DoctorDawg: Thanks for the reply. Thankfully I have the manual and wont have to deal with the DSG issues. Though the 06 5 speed I test drove was a little weird with the clutch, very different from the other manuals Im used to driving. Had a weird pulsing feel to it. So itll be interesting to see how things go with the 10.

Ski in NC: Thanks for the tips. Im very particular and methodical (product of flying I guess?) so I will be taking my time going over everything. Anything I should be looking for underneath the car? I saw the thread about the shock bumbers, anything else that could cause problems? Any reason that that the floor boards would be wet on a new car?

Thanks for the help!!

Runner

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Underneath the car...crunches from shipping damage.

Wet carpet...leaks allowing rain into cabin between factory and dealer. Super easy to do, just run your hand over the carpet wherever you can reach. Wet=bad, dry=good.

XCRunner

TDI
Ski in NC: Thanks for the point outs. Sounds easy enough to check all of those things. I dont know if Im more excited or scared at this point. Im excited for my first new car, but at the same time some of what I have read on here is kinda freaking me out. :eek: Guess Ill find out soon enough how things go, just need to keep telling myself drive more, worry less... Thanks again

Runner

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Tell Chris we all hope he's feeling better and thank him for helping us all out.

Also if you can, try and find out the kind of numbers he's putting up, it's gotta be amazing how many TDI's he's moved.

CMB430

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
If you are buying your car from Chris, you should feel confident that it has been looked over many times before you get to the dealer. He has a huge customer base here and does all he can to keep us TDI lovers happy. Take the time to double check, but if I was a bettin man, and I am, I would say you will have a great transaction and will be posting about it shortly.

Congrats on making your decision. IIRC I answered a few of your questions. Just remember...drive more worry less :)

XCRunner

TDI
740GLE: Will do!! I'll let you know what I find.

CMB430: Yea thats what I figured. He seems to have a huge base here, that in and of itself carries a lot of weight seeing most people will call it like they see it. (a good thing in my view)
As soon as I can I will be posting pics and letting people know about our first road tip together... :)
Thanks for all of your help in answering my past questions!!

Runner