Upgrade suggestions.

SethTDI

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
I just recently got a 2009 Jetta TDI, Platinum Grey no ground effects, mostly pretty basic. I was considering the ground effects for future upgrades, but this is my first Volkswagen and my first Diesel vehicle so suggestions are definately appreciated, thanks guys ;)

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
I suggest the best upgrade in my opinion would be a new driver. Just drop it off at my home and I will take care of driving it for you. I might even drive you back to your home. :D

SethTDI

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Joe_Meehan said:
I suggest the best upgrade in my opinion would be a new driver. Just drop it off at my home and I will take care of driving it for you. I might even drive you back to your home. :D
Yeah, yeah I really like the sound of that one. :p

Naimanator

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2002 Golf GLS TDI
Ground Effects? I'm sorry, but you do realize that it's not a Honda, correct? Also, I'm not certain on AZ laws, but I thought ground effects were illegal in most if not all states.

I suppose if you really want to put ground effects on a VW you can do it. It's your car, and if you think they look good, then more power to you. As with all visual modifications, do whatever YOU think looks good, it's YOUR car.

SethTDI

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Well yeah I do agree that some ground effects looks just silly, but the ones that VW offers, I'm not sure if you can buy it from them or not makes it look a little less high off the ground and adds a little something. It actually doesn't look horrible like something you'd put on a Honda for instance. But a Honda looks silly to me in general. As for the laws I was never aware of that. But still that's why I was seeing what most people would do.

DBDieseler

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I think when most people say "ground effects" they're referring to side skirts and bumpers that make the car appear lower and more aggressive (aka "body kits" or "aerodynamics" etc). I'm not aware of these being illegal anywhere, but maybe? However if "ground effects" makes you think neon lights underneath, etc, then yeah, those tend to be illegal to use on the road.

If it were my car I would first look at engine upgrades, like the tuning box that is available for the 2009. Take a look in the power enhancements section. Otherwise I'd go with an HID lighting upgrade or suspension upgrade. However I'm not opposed to mild body kits...I have considered getting a GLI looking kit for my A4 Jetta.

Naimanator

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2002 Golf GLS TDI
DBDieseler said:
I think when most people say "ground effects" they're referring to side skirts and bumpers that make the car appear lower and more aggressive (aka "body kits" or "aerodynamics" etc). I'm not aware of these being illegal anywhere, but maybe? However if "ground effects" makes you think neon lights underneath, etc, then yeah, those tend to be illegal to use on the road.

If it were my car I would first look at engine upgrades, like the tuning box that is available for the 2009. Take a look in the power enhancements section. Otherwise I'd go with an HID lighting upgrade or suspension upgrade. However I'm not opposed to mild body kits...I have considered getting a GLI looking kit for my A4 Jetta.
I took "ground effects" to mean under body neon lights. If you're referring to body kits, then no, those aren't illegal. The same still goes though, do whatever you think makes the car look good. I agree with DBDieseler though, forget about the aesthetic stuff and go for power enhancements or lighting or suspension upgrades.