VW Introduces Passat TDI with SCR

V

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
For Europe right now but SCR should make it EPA compliant as well ...

VW announced today for the 2008 Paris Auto Show the premiere of the Volkswagen Passat Variant BlueTDI. The Volkswagen Passat Variant BlueTDI previews an entire range of clean vehicles that are compliant with the Euro 6 emission standards.

The Volkswagen Passat Variant BlueTDI features an innovative SCR catalyst that works in conjunction with the AdBlue additive to significantly reduce the nitrogen oxides in the exhaust gas. The SCR (Selective Catalytic Reduction) catalyst transforms the nitrogen oxide (NOx) into nitrogen and water.

The Volkswagen Passat Variant BlueTDI is powered by the 2.0-liter common-rail engine that develops 105 kW / 143 hp and needs 0.4 liters of diesel less than the standard engine version. The Volkswagen Passat Variant BlueTDI has a 5.5 liters per 100 km fuel consumption and a 144 g / km CO2 emissions level.

As standard the Volkswagen Passat Variant BlueTDI comes with a 6-speed manual gearbox, but it's also offered with a 6-speed DSG. The new models will enter the market at the beginning of the next year.

buckeye96

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta ?
Volkswagen Passat BlueTDI sedan and wagon

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/09/25/paris-preview-volkswagen-passat-bluetdi-sedan-and-wagon/

Paris Preview: Volkswagen Passat BlueTDI sedan and wagon

Volkswagen will be debuting a new BlueTDI version of the mid-sized Passat at the upcoming Paris Motor Show. The BlueTDI Passat uses the same 2.0L common rail injected turbodiesel as the new U.S.-spec Jetta TDI. However, unlike the smaller Jetta which can meet NOx reduction requirements with a lean NOx trap, the Passat uses a urea injection system. The result is a slight bump in output from 140 to 143 hp while fuel consumption is reduced from 42 mpg (U.S.) on the existing Passat sedan to 45.2 mpg (U.S.) on the EU combined cycle. The Variant wagon version with BlueTDI now manages 42.8 mpg (U.S.). The urea injection SCR system allows the Passat to meet 2014 EURO VI emissions requirements when it goes on sale in Europe in early 2009. We likely won't see a diesel in a mid-sized VW in the U.S. until the next-generation replacement starts production in Tennessee sometime in early 2011.

CentralFloridaTDIguy

Veteran Member
TDI
none yet
manual transmission would be nice option in US

I would think by how popular manual transmission is on the Jetta TDI that they might offer it on the Passat also...especially if it is built in US:cool:

Bayou_Flyer

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 4Door 6M
Well, with the Jetta finally being allowed the 6spd in the US, I hope VW allows people to at least order a MT Passat TDI. Maybe they'll surprise us and just give us the manny version from the get-go.

Last edited:

therealbigred

TDI
2006 Jetta
I was told, by the VW salesman who I purchased my 06 Jetta from, that the new Passat TDI will be available in MY2010 and the window sticker will have the highway MPG at 50. Has anyone else heard the same???

MIA

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf, 09 JSW
therealbigred said:
I was told, by the VW salesman who I purchased my 06 Jetta from, that the new Passat TDI will be available in MY2010 and the window sticker will have the highway MPG at 50. Has anyone else heard the same???
FOC...

jvance

Veteran Member
TDI
Gave it back to VW
therealbigred said:
Why would a car that is 300lbs heavier than the Jetta, has a larger cross sectional area than the Jetta, has the same drag coefficient as the Jetta, and has the same diesel engine as the Jetta get 10 mpg better on the highway than the Jetta.

Also, both platforms share the 2.0T engine, and the Passat gets worse mileage than the Jetta Wolfsburg or Sportwagen SEL, as expected.

Prediction: EPA 27 city, 38 highway for the DSG.

zanakas

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta 160k - original cam, clutch
Bayou_Flyer said:
Well, with the Jetta finally being allowed the 6spd in the US, I hope VW allows people to at least order a MT Passat TDI. Maybe they'll surprise us and just give us the manny version from the get-go.
The reason I drive an '05 Jetta today. I wanted the Passat, but I just couldn't live with the AT....

50 mpg...c'mon.

Salesman....someday I'll be able to buy my car like my books....I go online, and UPS drops it off three days later!

Last edited:

cptmox

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta GLS, Silver 5-spd
Are you guys saying that a new car salesman would make an erroneous claim in an effort to sell cars?

I find that hard to believe. :rolleyes:

Trooper81

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle, 2011 Touareg TDI
jvance said:
Why would a car that is 300lbs heavier than the Jetta, has a larger cross sectional area than the Jetta, has the same drag coefficient as the Jetta, and has the same diesel engine as the Jetta get 10 mpg better on the highway than the Jetta.

Also, both platforms share the 2.0T engine, and the Passat gets worse mileage than the Jetta Wolfsburg or Sportwagen SEL, as expected.

Prediction: EPA 27 city, 38 highway for the DSG.
I don't remember where i read it but somewhere I was reading Urea is alot more efficient compared to the system the jetta has because the engine can be tuned better emits more crap and the SCR urea cleans it all up, so it might be true.

Trooper81

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle, 2011 Touareg TDI
therealbigred said:
I heard we're getting a TDI Tiguan first from Vw in all their concept forms and at the auto shows, and from numerous dealers, and now apparently we're not. You can't believe anyone anymore. They're practically teasing us with the candy in front of our little hands while we scream and yell. Next year Next Year.

But lets build a Lamborgini TDI

Bittter, Anyone?

candrews4tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Mercedes-Benz E320 CDI
VWoA should move forward on a Passat CC TDI platform with a 3 liter 6 cylinder turbo power plant to compete with the potent BMW 335d.
The Passat CC has some of the best lines I have seen on a VW sedan.

dennisjs

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI sportwagen 6spd, 2012 Touareg TDI Lux bought back by VW and traded on a new 2016 Touareg TDI Lux
Trooper81 said:
I heard we're getting a TDI Tiguan first from Vw in all their concept forms and at the auto shows, and from numerous dealers, and now apparently we're not. You can't believe anyone anymore. They're practically teasing us with the candy in front of our little hands while we scream and yell. Next year Next Year.

But lets build a Lamborgini TDI

Bittter, Anyone?

Sometimes I wonder which recreational chemicals the suits at VW are on.

It makes no sense to me.

Prabs15

TDI
2003 Golf GL Silver
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I just spotted a Passat Wagon with BlueTDI badging and Manufacturers plates here in Phoenix .. hope that's an indication of plans to bring it over :)

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
Prabs15 said:
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I just spotted a Passat Wagon with BlueTDI badging and Manufacturers plates here in Phoenix .. hope that's an indication of plans to bring it over :)
Who knows I see all sorts of strange vehicles here with MFG plates.

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
speaking of strange vehicles, i've seen it few days in a row here in Los Angeles a truck, i wouldnt call it Pick UP truck, it reminded me a bit of HUMMER H1 but if it was cut as a pick up. i dunno if that makes any sence. it was all wrapped in black cloth *(or whatever it is they use to wrap test cars)
steering wheel was on the right, and it had enough equipment and all kinds of little diplays to make it look like a small Jet Fighter plane.
if i see it again ill try to snag a picture.

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
Phoenix is where I once spotted some test VWs in 2000, they were too small to ever make it over here. I hope your sighting is because they're bringing it!

DnA Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
no more...
candrews4tdi said:
VWoA should move forward on a Passat CC TDI platform with a 3 liter 6 cylinder turbo power plant to compete with the potent BMW 335d.
The Passat CC has some of the best lines I have seen on a VW sedan.
The CC is a beautiful car! To be honest, lack of a TDI in the Passat was a major factor in why I went elsewhere and got a 335d.

cjamescook

TDI
'79 Scirocco
RomanL said:
speaking of strange vehicles, i've seen it few days in a row here in Los Angeles a truck, i wouldnt call it Pick UP truck, it reminded me a bit of HUMMER H1 but if it was cut as a pick up. i dunno if that makes any sence. it was all wrapped in black cloth ...
Cool. I am retiring my 20-year old Nissan pickup (too much work to pass inspection in September).

I'd love to buy a VW TDI pickup truck as a replacement.

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
cjamescook said:
Cool. I am retiring my 20-year old Nissan pickup (too much work to pass inspection in September).

I'd love to buy a VW TDI pickup truck as a replacement.
i did not say it was a VW. i just said it was some kinda of a truck. i could have been diesel but im not sure. havent seen it since last time

jkp1187

Veteran Member
TDI
none yet
Prabs15 said:
I hope you're right - a TDI Passat wagon would be awesome....

tiguando

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan (Hopefully)
The Passat is no more for the US. March was the last month for dealers to order them. The New Midsize Sedan to be built in Tennessee will replace it. The CC remains though. VW tests a lot of non-US models in Arizona that we'll never see.

cptmox

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta GLS, Silver 5-spd
tiguando said:
The Passat is no more for the US. March was the last month for dealers to order them. The New Midsize Sedan to be built in Tennessee will replace it. The CC remains though. VW tests a lot of non-US models in Arizona that we'll never see.
The New Midsize Sedan is still nameless, and rather than uncork some hard to pronounce off-the-wall name (read: Tiguan, Touran, Toureg), they might just call it a Passat.

Perhaps VW just uses Arizona and California for hot weather testing of vehicles destined for other hot weather markets. VW engineers would rather travel to Arizona than India, Africa, etc...

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
cptmox said:
Are you guys saying that a new car salesman would make an erroneous claim in an effort to sell cars?

I find that hard to believe. :rolleyes:
How can you tell if a car salesman is lying ?

His lips are moving....

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V
I am certainly NOT holding my breath. I'm just holding on to my two Passat TDIs until a truly better drivetrain is marketed here. I can pay for a whole lot of maintenance cheerfully until then.....

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
the urea additive is expensive. MB is using it in all their 09+ ML320 Bluetecs - a buddy who drives a lot has one and has to pay an extra $150 or so each inspection.