Engine code: BRM
Transmission Code: - HQN
Date of DSG Production: 08/05
Purchased, New or Used: New
Miles when purchased: 015
Current miles: - 93,984
Area of country: -KY
Fuel Statistics: - 49/41/37 mostly road miles little city
I have one repair order at 54k miles, one at 57k miles and one at 59k miles each complaining of intermittent abrupt shuddering pulling away from stopped. Dealer of course could not replicate and found "vehicle operating to VW specs at this time". Condition continued to get worse once out of warrenty until finally the "loose pebbles" sound began. I discovered this site after attending TDI Fest this past summer in Ohio and learned this sound was a precursor to the DMF coming apart. Took to dealer three weeks ago and referenced da~da~da's similar experience detailed by link on da~da~da's post on page 5 of this thread. That prompted dealer to call Tech Services who recommended inspection of DMF. Inspection revealed a one and one quarter inch of play in the vertical plane of the DMF hub. Clutches were as new and I have no mods. My appeal and arguments were largely ignored by VWoA Customer Care who would only repeat a well rehersed " VWoA will contribute 20% to the cost of repair" and would not acknowledge that at the same milage, da~da~da's dealer (actually technician) knew enough that his was repaired while still under warrenty. Now the dealer is refusing me my old flywheel until finding out if VWoA wants it. This even though agreeing to give it to me before I agreed to the repair. Seems I'm certainly entitled to 80% of it and I will resume this argument with the service manager tommorrow (I picked up the car late Friday evening). In the few miles driven so far all seems normal and the "loose pebbles" sound is gone, however, possibly coincidentally, I now hear the tap-tap-tap pumping noise fron the passenger footwell. da~da~da, I'd love to communicate with you concerning details of you're experience and anyone who may be organizing a class action. I may explore a class action if one is not already underway. Shame that VWoA spoils this wonderful car that VW builds. I appreciate that VW is always on the bleeding edge of progressive technologies, but maybe they shouldn't be if not prepared for the inevitable learning curve.

Elfnmagik

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently De-Dub'd
On several threads folks have been complaining about early shifting up through 6th in 'D' under light acceleration, 'lugging".

Some believe this is a fault of the mechatronics or in the programming. I posted this http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=2459907&postcount=18 in response.

Today I found this on the DSG Wiki.

When the floor-mounted gear selector lever is in position D, the DSG works in fully automatic mode, with emphasis placed on gear shifts programmed to deliver maximum fuel economy. That means that shifts will change up and down very early in the rev-range. As an example, on the Golf Mk5 GTI, sixth gear will be engaged around 33mph, when initially using the DSG 'box with the 'default' ECU adaptation, although with an "aggressive" or "sporty" driving style, the adaptive shift pattern will increase the speed at which 6th gear engages.

Last edited:

3dfx

TDI
VW Touran 2.0TDI BKD
DMFound said:
DATE: 02-15-09
Name: DMFound
Year: 2006
Make: VW
Model: Jetta TDI
Date of auto production: - 10 - 05
Engine code: BRM
Transmission Code: - HQN
Date of DSG Production: 08/05
Miles when purchased: 015
Current miles: - 93,984
Area of country: -KY
Fuel Statistics: - 49/41/37 mostly road miles little city
I have one repair order at 54k miles, one at 57k miles and one at 59k miles each complaining of intermittent abrupt shuddering pulling away from stopped. Dealer of course could not replicate and found "vehicle operating to VW specs at this time". Condition continued to get worse once out of warrenty until finally the "loose pebbles" sound began. I discovered this site after attending TDI Fest this past summer in Ohio and learned this sound was a precursor to the DMF coming apart. Took to dealer three weeks ago and referenced da~da~da's similar experience detailed by link on da~da~da's post on page 5 of this thread. That prompted dealer to call Tech Services who recommended inspection of DMF. Inspection revealed a one and one quarter inch of play in the vertical plane of the DMF hub. Clutches were as new and I have no mods. My appeal and arguments were largely ignored by VWoA Customer Care who would only repeat a well rehersed " VWoA will contribute 20% to the cost of repair" and would not acknowledge that at the same milage, da~da~da's dealer (actually technician) knew enough that his was repaired while still under warrenty. Now the dealer is refusing me my old flywheel until finding out if VWoA wants it. This even though agreeing to give it to me before I agreed to the repair. Seems I'm certainly entitled to 80% of it and I will resume this argument with the service manager tommorrow (I picked up the car late Friday evening). In the few miles driven so far all seems normal and the "loose pebbles" sound is gone, however, possibly coincidentally, I now hear the tap-tap-tap pumping noise fron the passenger footwell. da~da~da, I'd love to communicate with you concerning details of you're experience and anyone who may be organizing a class action. I may explore a class action if one is not already underway. Shame that VWoA spoils this wonderful car that VW builds. I appreciate that VW is always on the bleeding edge of progressive technologies, but maybe they shouldn't be if not prepared for the inevitable learning curve.
Can you please give me some more information about the symptoms of the DMF failing - I have a Touran DSG which has a quite strange sound coming from the front-left when accelerating...

DMFound

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The "loose pebbles" noise is audible at idle standing outside the vehicle. Occurs for a couple of seconds, stops for a second then repeats. At least this is how mine and others I've read on this site have sounded. I don't know if it gets worse as it approaches failure or not and I don't know if it affects the Tiguan. I just made a complaint to NHTSA.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
It can also start as a subtle scratching sound, following the same pattern. This is usually, VERY early in the failure process. I changed out my flywheel, and the noise stopped.

Tony

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
From the MkV-A5 Golf-Jetta '09 DSG transmission problem thread:

False alarm/hope
Dealer said there was new software upgrade for the DSG..
Alexandria VW shop foreman wasn't paying attention when I said TDI DSG...he claims the updated software is for GAS DSG!!! He did nothing to my car.
However, he phoned VWoA while I waited, asked about the 1-2 slamming issue, and received authorization to replace the Mechatronic unit. Says it's a 3-4 hour job, requiring fluid/filter change, new bolts, etc. Ordered the Mechatronic from Germany, should be here in a week or so.

Now, my question is, has the replacement of the Mechatronic unit solved this issue for anyone on this forum? My hard upshift has only occurred once in the last 2k miles (after 4 consecutive slams at about 850 miles). Should I just leave well-enough alone?

It has now been documented, the warranty repair approved, and he says I can have it done anytime. Hmmm...VW extended the "free maintenance" only to 36k miles, DSG service needed at 40k miles...hmmm...maybe I'll just wait until, say, 35k miles to have the mechatronic/fluid/filters replaced...

I'm tempted to leave well-enough alone, and never use Sport mode until I'm on an open road...or, "Damn the speedbump/pedestrian/stray shopping cart...FULL speed ahead!!"...and never lift at a shiftpoint.

Happy ending, though. While waiting in the horribly depressing messy (trash everywhere) shop area, a smiling tech came over and asked me if I needed a new bumper for my JSW...of course, I said, "Not unless you're intending to trash mine!" It seems they had one that was never picked up, already painted my color.
For $100, I have a new painted rear bumper sitting in my attic. Might be nice to replace the inevitable dinged one in 3-4 years.
Go figure!

Last edited:

Elfnmagik

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently De-Dub'd
At this point, my advice would be to have the service done as soon as possible as a sign of good faith. It's now documented. Should anything more serious happen later down the road regarding the transmission, it quite possibly will be on your dime if you've put off or not done the recommended repair.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thought I'd post an update.
4500miles, never use "S" (too much traffic), everything smooth as silk. Shifting in both directions in "D" is completely un-noticeable. In Tip, shifts are firmer but not a single "slamming" incident.
Dealer has offered to replace the mechatronic unit because of the previous slamming incidents. Now I think I'll just leave it alone, and have them document that we mutually agreed to wait, so it won't affect future warranty claims.
Finally ran a tank about 90% hwy, 10% city, over 50degrees f, got 46.4mpg.
After the highway fill-up (on I -81...lots of hills), cruised at 62-64 mph, averaged 53.8mpg for 145 miles.
I love this car.
Looking forward to a drive to FL next week. Would love to break 50 mpg for a full tank...

MatteoB

TDI
Skoda Fabia VRS 1.9 TDI pd
What's the consensus on reliability with the DSG as a whole? I have always liked a manual transmission but may be tempted by one of these. I am put off by the complexity of these boxes should they go bang though:eek:

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
MatteoB said:
What's the consensus on reliability with the DSG as a whole? I have always liked a manual transmission but may be tempted by one of these. I am put off by the complexity of these boxes should they go bang though:eek:
In the US market, the 2009 DSG issues seems to have a statistically low incidence rate. There are of course posted exceptions to the rules. In any case, 6,900 miles here and all is well. The 2009 MY is relevant since it is the 3rd /4 th MY of the DSG on the US market.

We are actually starved for information/data on the European DSG experience (many more years, more models, volumne and percentage) and whether that "crosses the pond" so to speak.

DATE: 04/25/2010
Name: Ruking
Year: 2009
Make: VW
Model: Jetta
Date of auto production: - " usually month and year " unless you know the day
Engine code: "in your manual"
Transmission Code: - “located in owners manual next to engine code
Date of DSG Production: - “ located on top of trans just below and beside the battery – is visible with flashlight”
Miles when purchased: 008
Current miles: - Approaching 17,000 miles and all seems well .
Area of country: - CA, west US
Fuel Statistics: - 47 mpg-best/42 mpg-avg/40 mpg-worst

UPDATE:

Approaching 17,000 miles and all seems well .

Last edited:

meowguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW, 2012 Passat TDI SE
DATE:10/30/09
Name:Jim "meowguy"

Year:2010
Make:VW
Model:JSW
Date of auto production: - 9/2009
Engine code: "in your manual"
Transmission Code: - “located in owners manual next to engine code
Date of DSG Production: - “ located on top of trans just below and beside the battery – is visible with flashlight”
Purchased, New
Miles when purchased:034
Current miles: - "984"
Area of country: - “Maine, USA "
Fuel Statistics: - 41.5

I can't find the engine and transmission number you have requested in the manuals.

vergoin

TDI
06 jetta, 09 sportwagen
DATE:
Name: vergoin
Year: 2006
Make: Jetta
Model: Sedan
Date of auto production:
Engine code: "
Transmission Code:
Date of DSG Production: -
Purchased, Used May 2007
Miles when purchased: 23,679
Current miles: - 108,245
Area of country: - “ south suburbs of Chicago "
Fuel Statistics: - 42-44 highway

The mechatronix (valve body) went out at 73,466 miles, was a certified used car and warranty of 74,000 miles, dealer covered repair which would have cost $2600

LBJ (Laser Blue Jetta)

TDI
2009 Laser Blue Sportwagen w/DSG
DSG Extended Warranty

Has anybody else received an extended warranty on their DSG from VW? I've got an '09 JSW TDI that I bought new last June. The DSG works beautifully and I love it. The car's got just over 10k miles on it now. In the mail recently I got a Christmas present from VW in the form of a letter stating that the DSG (only) has been given an extended warranty to 10 years/ 100k miles.
Not that I'm complaining in the least but I can't help but wonder what prompted this. Anybody else have any ideas or better info?
Dave

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
LBJ (Laser Blue Jetta) said:
Has anybody else received an extended warranty on their DSG from VW? I've got an '09 JSW TDI that I bought new last June. The DSG works beautifully and I love it. The car's got just over 10k miles on it now. In the mail recently I got a Christmas present from VW in the form of a letter stating that the DSG (only) has been given an extended warranty to 10 years/ 100k miles.
Not that I'm complaining in the least but I can't help but wonder what prompted this. Anybody else have any ideas or better info?
Dave
I also got the (all important) VOA Dec 2009 ltr extending the VIN (specific) DSG (only) warranty to 10 years/100,000 from the time and mileage put into service aka, "Subject: Warranty Extension for Certain 2007-2010 Model Year Volkswagen Vehicles Equipped with a DSG Transmission".

I am in a the same boat, but perhaps with slightly different condtions. I have no other ideas or information. I did however call the VW line listed in a thread. I was told my particular VIN was not on the recall list and as a consequence did NOT have the 10 year/100,000 miles extension. So my current understanding is regardless of recall,IF you get a VIN specific ltr, you have the extension.

My DSG has performed flawlessly. I do have to say it DOES have is quirks in operation and most of the early mileage was getting used to it while "suspending disbelief" as English majors are prone to say. If I had my druthers this 2009 would have been a 6 spd manual. However the other 2 occassional drivers don't drive stick. The third driver who can drive stick uses this primarily for a bumper to bumper highway commute.

Last edited:

Marauderer

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta "Diesel Edition"
My 06 is just going along with an occasional hicup.

It has 74K mi and I changed the fluid at 55K mi.

The hicups and burps are funny noises that come and go and an occasional improper shift but all has been well for the last 10K mi.

Hired_help

TDI
Jetta 06 DSG
Jetta 2006 TDI. The flywheel just destroyed itself and it bore a hole in the transmission. They replaced everything.
Because of that I saved on the transmisson fluid change that was due soon. :)
66000 Km. That's a bit early for this problem to happen but fortunately it was still under warranty.

YODAUSA

TDI
looking for older one now
Date - 01-02-10
Name - John H. (yodausa)
Year - 2006
Model - Jetta
Engine Code - Brm
Tran Code - Hxu
Date Of Production -
Purchased - Used
Miles When Purchased - 58,000
Current Mileage - 66,890
Area Of Country - Kansas

When I purchsed the vehicle it did have a ""Sound"" or rattleing metal under the hood. Simular to perhaps two pieces of metal shroud or something like that rattling together, and that is what I thought it was. I wasn't that worried as I have fixed things like that for many many years, It never dawned on me that that metalic rattle was the transmission, This forum educated me on that noise TO LATE.
We packed up the Jetta last night for a trip to Texas and (warm weather) Proceeded this morning down the Kansas Turnpike and were about 25 miles south of Topeka and Home, when it started to downshift for no reason and the rpm would climb. I slowed down to keep the rpm down and could feel vibration and loss of power. I did a bad thing by turning around as soon as I could by using the Highway Patrolmans turn around through the concrete wall. I noticed that as I approached the grades it would down shift to 4th and I would barely make to the top, it would however upshift to 6th as we went down or stayed level. The tranny was making grinding noise and you fould feel a ruff vibration in the vehicle.
I had taked the Jetta in for a filter/fluid change of the tranny at 59,000 mile and I had asked the service manager to invesitgate the rattleing noise under the hood. However when I picked it up he said they could not identify where the rattling noise was coming from ????????????????????? Da

Last edited:

balkor2

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
DATE: 1-16-2010
NAME: Robert (Balkor2)
YEAR: 2010
MAKE: VW
Model: Jetta 2.0 TDI
Date of auto production: 11/09 (I think)
Engine code: CJA
Transmission Code: LQV
Date of DSG Production: could not see it
Miles When Purchased: 46
Current Miles: 500
Area of Country: Newport News, VA

Seems like it is a little slow to engage but it might be because just came out of a manual that I drove for 50k miles

hbk

TDI
09 Jetta
DSG Extended Warranty

I got a letter from VW Canada on Tuesday (Jan 26/10) informing me that the warranty on my DSG transmission has been extended to 160,000 km or 10 years from date of purchase. I have an '09 Jetta TDI purchased in Sept. '09. I've got 4600 km with no issues. I'm delighted, but makes you wonder.

Elfnmagik

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently De-Dub'd
balkor2 said:
Seems like it is a little slow to engage but it might be because just came out of a manual that I drove for 50k miles
If you're referring to the slight pause on takeoff right after taking your foot off the brake and pressing the accelerator, it's normal.

balkor2

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
Elfnmagik said:
If you're referring to the slight pause on takeoff right after taking your foot off the brake and pressing the accelerator, it's normal.
Ok then it's I am use to manual LOL
I figured as much. Prior to the manual trans I was in an Olds late 80's auto trans. Standard 3 speed auto without overdrive.

Elfnmagik

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently De-Dub'd
I basically is the time it takes for the hill holder to release, then the DSG clutch to disengage. A trick it to let off a little before you know you want to start. The lag time is reduced somewhat if you're in 'Tip' & maybe 'Sport'.

Elfnmagik

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently De-Dub'd
I'm beginning to have some serious issues that make me think either I've got a bad Mechatronic and/or pressure sensor that the Spring Campaign is supposed to address or that my DMF is failing or could be as a result of the shifting issues caused by the Mech/sensor.

1st condition: For about the last 5k miles, when coming to almost a complete stop, I get a "thunk" in the transmission and it's now much more pronounced and repetitous than when I first noticed it. I used to be able to somewhat control it by slowing, then creeping for a bit prior to the actual stop and feathering the brake pedal to sort of actuate the clutching for the 2>1 downshift. Now no matter what, it does it. Also, it used to only do it in 'D', now it's in all modes.

2nd condition: When the trans. is cold, again slowing to a stop and JUST AFTER THE THUNK but now stopped, the tans. will not disengage and will continue to pull at idle. After about 1-2 seconds while holding the brake and the engine lugging, it will disengage, thunk again, and make a several mechanical clank noises as if the clutches/shifter forks/whatever are loading/unloading.

3rd condition: When in 'D' stopped with brake pedal applied, cycling between 'D' -> 'N' -> 'D' (back and forth) will make strong clunks/rattles in the transmission which can be both felt in the car and heard outside. Strangely, when going from 'R' to 'N' or 'P' it's smooth as butter and you can't even tell it's made the change.

4th condition: When the trans. is cold and backing or pulling out on inclines, the trans. feathers the clutch a lot. I have to rev the engine to at least 2k before it will move and then it will enagage and have too much power/speed. I've found that if I pre-warm the vehicle for about 5-10 minutes it will back/pull out at idle.

I also still get the 'bang' when decel/acel at slow speeds in 'Tip' so I've been using 'D' much more than I used too.

In short, it's shifting characteristics have changed dramatically and for the worse. I plan on calling in to VWoA customer service soon to document it and to hint at the Spring Campaign and will, unfortunately, schedule a service appointment with the Dealer.

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Elfnmagik,
Sorry to hear of your troubles. How many total miles?
What are the ambient temps?

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
Maybe it's the bad bushing getting worse.

Elfnmagik

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently De-Dub'd
Thanks guys. I'm at 24K right now. The temps are around 30-40F first startup, then 45-50 second startup for the way home.

Hopefully the Mech is the issue, but I'm not feeling that it's that entirely. DanG144 and I spoke briefly when I was pulling my Volvo out of the shop this evening. We're tentatively planning to do a DSG fluid level check (since my dealer replaced the temp sensor), and reset the control settings(?) via VagCom to see if it helps. I not, I'll be calling in the issue to VWoA for the record, then taking it to the dealer.

Last edited:

Elfnmagik

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently De-Dub'd
I'm guessing it's mostly attributed to the DSG clutch action. Try to imagine this scenario with a manual.

I will say however, that the cutch action is much different on mine when I take off in 'D' vs 'Tip' on grades. Much more "feathering" in 'D'. Almost like it's starting off in 2nd.