For Sale - 2002 4 door VW Golf 5 speed TDI - Repairs Needed/Parts Car - Raleigh, NC

TDI
2002 4 door golf
Selling our 2002 VW 4 door VW Golf.

Asking $1,500 OBO - NEEDS NEW TRANSMISSION Excellent parts car

270,232 miles
5 speed manual transmission
1.9L TDI
Cloth interior with sun roof

Photos are uploaded to TDIclub -
http://pics.tdiclub.com/showgallery.php?cat=7057

Purchased the car in March of 2016 with 214,095 miles on it from the original owner. My wife drove the car daily until the transmission went on the car in December. Transmission does not shift to 1st, 2nd, or reverse. We had the vehicle look at by a local mechanic and they confirmed that the car would need a new transmission.

Original owner was a family friend and took good care of the vehicle. Many of the original receipts for repairs and oil changes have been saved. All were not available at the time of the sale to us. Since we owned the vehicle all regular maintenance has been performed. Full synthetic oil used since our purchase.

Timing belt replaced at 134,430 miles
Oil changed every 5,000 miles since we purchased the vehicle in 2016.
AC was replaced in summer of 2018 - over $1,000 in repairs.
Glow plugs recently replaced. within the past year.

small dent in driver side passenger door.
Cracked bumper on the front left side.
VW logo in grill is missing the chrome trim.
Glove compartment latch is broken.
One Key

The car has been owned by non smokers.

This was a excellent little car until the transmission broke. It has 270,000+ miles and has minor issues with the interior paint that can be expected with its age. PM me for more information if needed.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Not sure you want to keep it but did you check the shifter bushings...many places won't actually diagnose a car, they sit in the seat and throw their hands in the air and act like you need a mountain of parts.

The shifter bushings are notorious in these cars and your problem sounds like bushings to me, the only bad 5 speed O2J wouldn't go in 1st or 3rd

The bushings from Diesel geek are about a hundred bux and even if you don't want to keep the car, spend a Saturday replacing them and ask twice as much for the car assuming that fixes it, I think it would

Diesel geek is the place to get bushings

And you know you're almost 40k past the recommended timing belt replacement and is a ticking time bomb...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
New belt and shifter bushings is what I was thinking also.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I very much doubt it needs a new transmission.

One of the bushings probably broke at the shifter box end of the cable.

I could probably fix it in your driveway in an hour, LOL.