Container - Dispenser - Diesel Additive

FarmerKlutz

TDI
2015 TDI Sportwagen S
Greetings TDI Owners,

Need some thoughtful input before I reasearch myself into a tizzy finding a solution I'll end up building myself (if I do I'll post pics and parts list.)

I've need of a smaller container to dispense Howe's Diesel Treat into the tank of my 2015 TDI S Sportwagen.

Using paper funnels and dispensing from the large container are a bit messy .

My goal is to have a drip free, see through, measured (oz/ml markings) to dispense the fluid and NOT have the vehicle smell like a gas station.

I've an idea in mind, that might not be perfect, but pretty close.

Considerations I've made thus far:

• Tried locating an empty Stabil type bottle to no avail.
  • Thought of a polycarbonate 32oz Sport bottle however these generally have some sort of "breather" on them to allow for air so when sucking on the built in straw the air exchange allows for ease. My concern with this is is off gassing of the Howe's into the cabin.
  • A smaller bottle (i.e. a clean 1 qt oil container). My concern here is that this will end up dripping down the side.

My gratitude to those who participate and/or have a solution.

Thanks...

FarmerKlutz

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Good luck with that. I tried many ways and bottles and I found no way to at least not get a drop or two on you now and then, no matter how careful you are. Whether it is the bottle leaking in the car or getting a drop or two on you while adding or getting some on you while putting the empty bottle away. Once you get some on you it spreads from there. Even washing your hands good doesn't get it all off and then spreads to the steering wheel leather or other interior parts you touch. Spill a drop in the car and it is almost impossible to get out. I am currently happy with just using some pump fuel that has some bio in it already. Good luck!

wensteph

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg sold to VW 2014 Audi Q5 re-programmed
The clear Gumout Regane bottles work well. I mark 1 oz increments with a sharpie. I pump out of a gallon jug with a pump dispenser I picked up at a local janitorial supply store. Works well for keeping it off my hands.

rick9mjn

TDI
2015 sport wagon,red
i use the clear Gumout fuel injector cleaner containers, that i use/put into, my other 4 Wheeler's, With the bottles being tall and 6 fl. oz , the bottles are just right for adding to the tank after a fill up.......... ...good day / rick

keith102

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6spd
I've also had good luck with the Gumout fuel inject contrainers. Actually I use an empty water bottle that's been cleaned and dried as well for my truck. Use the 2.8 oz 2 stroke oil bottles, but they seem to have a bit of leakage so I keep them in a small ziplock with rag in the trunk of my car.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Once you reach into that ziplock again with that rag that has drips on it you will spread the stink all over. Once it is on something the only real way is to get rid of it. Spontaneous combustion may also be a concern here.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I'm just glad I never use additives... unless it is below 0F for extended periods of time.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
That is the one issue that really calls for some action in my opinion. Fortunately I live in Texas and have little need if any for cold weather additives. Matter of fact I am trying to get rid of the leftovers I have now in the garage along with some oil. Someone local will get a great deal.

FarmerKlutz

TDI
2015 TDI Sportwagen S
For some reason I wasn't alerted to the replies to my post.

So, to all who've shared information: Thank you most kindly.

I will look into the Rubber Maid suggestion and I see it has not failed in 3 years as well: though my concern would be the gasket around the lid being a rubber based product vs silicone (the latter being potentially far less susceptible to breaking down with the petrol-based Howe's.

Still mulling over engineering my own...maybe.

Thanks again.

If I don't post my version....

Happy Healthy and Blessed Holidays to all.

Respectfully...

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
Tip-n-measure to hold the bulk additive. I use the 1 gallon size.
https://www.amleo.com/tip-n-measure-containers-3-sizes/p/VP-TNM/

I use a graduated cylinder to measure my additive 150 or 250 ml should work depending on how concentrated your additive is. I keep a 100 ml graduated cylinder in my TDI and a 250 ml GC in my truck.

https://www.amazon.com/SEOH-Graduat...876&sr=8-6&keywords=150+ml+graduated+cylinder

You need to do some math to figure the dose in mL. I can tell you that mine is 400:1 which works out to 9.6mL per gallon of diesel.

I always rinse the GC out with fuel after measurement.

I keep everything in a sealed plastic tote because the stuff stinks.

You get lots of comments and questions from people about what you’re doing.

robm2

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I tried a Stabil type container, with the built-in measuring device. It did not work. The diesel additives do bad thing to the plastic, and it started to leak after awhile.

I have not found a good solution. I, too, would like to be able to keep a bottle of diesel fuel additive in the car, with an easy-to-use measuring system, that won't leak. Most of my tank fills are far away from home, so having a portable system is useful.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Honestly, I just use the 16-oz. PowerService bottles (white in the cold months, grey in the warm ones). They sit on the store shelves for a long time without leaking.

Since they have the "sighting window", I can reliably reload them out of the 80-oz. jug and pour 8oz. into the tank each fill-up. I keep about 3 in the trunk, in a small plastic container tub to keep them upright (and catch any dribbling).

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I bought a case of Stanadyne Performance Formula and they were all leaking upon arrival in the sealed case. The store shelves aren't moving and don't suffer temp extremes and people handling them. No matter what you do, at some point, you will get some on something and it will spread. You will just have to deal with the cleanup and smell.

armyschus

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf S TDI, Blue Silk Metalic, 6M
I use a Stanadyne treatment box that hold 6 8oz bottles and their 1oz per pump transfer system. It fits the Stanadyne bottles and Power Service bottles. The box keeps the smell contained.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
If there is a smell, then it is on the bottles and probably everything inside the box. Every time you handle them it is now on your hands and everything you touch. Putting them in a box or other container only works if you don't open it again.

nutdriver

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2006 (Previously NB 2000)
I've had good luck reusing the 12 oz Red Line Diesel Fuel Catalyst bottles. They have a tapered neck for easy pouring and I can premix my favorite additive mix.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
If there is a smell, then it is on the bottles and probably everything inside the box. Every time you handle them it is now on your hands and everything you touch. Putting them in a box or other container only works if you don't open it again.
The tip-n-measure container I use isn’t completely air tight. It is chemical resistant but not vapor proof so it needs to be sealed in another container.

FYI anybody who doses their own additives, you don’t want to handle any diesel additive without gloves. Most are moderately toxic, with the liver being the target organ.

I keep a box of dispoible gloves in my tote. If you plan on re-using gloves a pair of chemical resistant gloves should be purchased.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
In the past i have done like many above to try to avoid the smell. Ive had the rubber coated palm gloves stored in hatch or trunk and used them when fueling like many OTR truckers do. It keeps the smell minimized. But i like the smell of diesel too so as long as its just a hint of smell and not all over me im fine with that. Id use the towels dispensed with the windsheild cleaning squeegee to wipe down the gloves and my additive cointainers. Now i just refill my PSW bottles from a gallon jug at home and no gloves and no cares. These days i tend to drive alot more and worry alot less.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I also don't mind a little of the smell. But I have to be around others as well and they aren't as tolerant as am. My wife doesn't care for it. I don't like walking into meetings smelling of diesel and/or additive. Not really good in church either. Smelling like a long haul trucker who just fueled his vehicle doesn't really go over well in professional or other social realms. A manly cologne yes but more fit for the outdoors than the boardroom or a 5 star restaurant.

Anomious

TDI
2915, Q5 and 2015, Passat
I USE 200ML BOTTLES TROM THE DRUG STORE. they are graduated and make life easier! Have been using them for almost a year and no problems!