Best DPF/EGR delete

Whneth350

TDI
2012 Jetta 2.0 TDI
Just purchased a 2012 Jetta and I am looking for the best way to delete the DPF/EGR. The car has 61,000 miles so it is out of factory warranty. I am just trying to do this before I start having issues with the particulate filter. Please advise on various systems available. I have only seen the Rawtek and the buzz Ken systems. Is that about it?

My wife will primarily drive this vehicle so I also would like to keep it as stock as possible. Not interested in performance gains per se and definitely not interested in making the car louder!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Has it had the fix done yet? If not you should hurry and get it done! If it has, it should have just gotten a new dpf etc. and other things. Why delete them now? Plus it should be covered by the extended emissions warranty for quite some time. Are you sure you know what you are doing? Where in Texas are you? If you are close to Austin I can check the status of your dpf if you like. PM me.

hwork1

TDI
2002 Bug TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2013 Touareg TDI, 2001 Cummins, 2006 Cummins, 2013 f250, 2015 Duramax, 2018 f250
A Buddie of mine just finished a complete removal / delete on a 2013 Touareg TDI (65,000 miles). He went with Malone tuning. Lightflyer is correct, make sure you know what you are doing and getting into. Lots of custom work was needed, not many kits available. The car now has crystal clean oil and lot better performing machine. The fuel mileage is very impressive if you can keep your foot out of it.

Lots of opinions on this topic, to each their own.

Pros
Clean oil
Better fuel economy
Can roll coal ;)
Sounds amazing - very deep nice sound (turbo kills all the noise, nothing annoying)

Cons
Trash warranty
Garage start ups take on a whole new experience
Selling / trade in could be tricky

When you go down this road just know you will need to plan on keeping car, it’s a lot of work and all comes down to personal choice.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
From what I have read the Touareg is complicated to work on anyway. The cars much less so I would imagine and more parts available. Still some work to do and everything else you said remains the same.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Just purchased a 2012 Jetta and I am looking for the best way to delete the DPF/EGR. The car has 61,000 miles so it is out of factory warranty. I am just trying to do this before I start having issues with the particulate filter. Please advise on various systems available. I have only seen the Rawtek and the buzz Ken systems. Is that about it?
My wife will primarily drive this vehicle so I also would like to keep it as stock as possible. Not interested in performance gains per se and definitely not interested in making the car louder!
I have to ask... why?

Your emissions warranty is what, 10 years/ 120k miles? I certainly wouldnt be worrying about committing a federal offense until my (essentially) free warranty is long gone.

BRIAN427COBRA

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 2015 Passat SEL
I am waiting for the phase 2 fix on my passat to be done, then in a dream I had, Rawtek straight pipe and Malone stage 2 program via flashzilla

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Others that have done it have had good things to say. You have been here long enough to know what the issues are. Good luck with your dream!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Some people are so fed up with the cars post-fix behavior and having to try and get VoA to honor that wonderful warranty that they give up and just want their TDI back. So the deletes happen.

FWIW, you can get a mild tune that will have no visible smoke in the exhaust, and only a minor smell (remember, the delete also takes away the one-way catalyst, so they'll have NOTHING cleaning up the exhaust at all, unlilke PD and VE TDIs that still have a catalyst).

Keep in the intake throttle flap, that makes the shut down smooth still. You can double the oil change interval post delete, since this is the difference you'll see:

You'll see a bump in fuel economy, one of my customers reports a solid 6 MPG increase over the original pre-fix cheating software.

hwork1

TDI
2002 Bug TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2013 Touareg TDI, 2001 Cummins, 2006 Cummins, 2013 f250, 2015 Duramax, 2018 f250
I have to ask... why?
Your emissions warranty is what, 10 years/ 120k miles? I certainly wouldnt be worrying about committing a federal offense until my (essentially) free warranty is long gone.
Merica is why... LOL :) as for me it was more of a “I want my diesel back” story. The car was great till they “fixed” it. Then it was 18 MPG and problem after problem with emissions equipment. Yah “it’s covered” but countless hours without your ride and multiple trips to the dealership with a “we are sorry here is a VW hat”. It was either junk it or make it work, I am from the make it work generation, so I am 10,000 trouble free miles. Minues that dang water pump that’s leaking. Lol.

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
Merica is why... LOL :) as for me it was more of a “I want my diesel back” story. The car was great till they “fixed” it. Then it was 18 MPG and problem after problem with emissions equipment. Yah “it’s covered” but countless hours without your ride and multiple trips to the dealership with a “we are sorry here is a VW hat”. It was either junk it or make it work, I am from the make it work generation, so I am 10,000 trouble free miles. Minues that dang water pump that’s leaking. Lol.
We got a whole 1,000 kms on the clock of our new '15 Q7 before the CEL sent it scurrying to the dealer for emissions repairs (not sure until it goes back in what is screwed up now). I will TRY to keep it stock at least until the initial warranty period is up, but the feedback on "the fix" is so bad, I can see a day when I will be calling Malone up for a de-smog programme and hardware delete instructions.

Oilhammer's post will give some of the reasons why.

Too bad the EPA didn't realize that just letting the freezing (lying) dogs lie and stick them with a bigass fine would have been so much better than forcing them to try to do something right.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Too bad the EPA didn't realize that just letting the freezing (lying) dogs lie and stick them with a bigass fine would have been so much better than forcing them to try to do something right.
Amen to that. Should have just let the NOx fly, and let everything else be far, far cleaner, and let the cars function and be reliable. Now, so many people are getting frustrated to the point that NO emissions compliance components are remaining. :rolleyes:

BeetlePD

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle 2005
Plus even a non-compliant Common Rail Volkswagen is cleaner than the pre-2009 models. The CR-TDIs weren’t that terribly dirty

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
No, actually, with regards to NOx they were not. Everything else, yes.

And overall adding the score of all the pollutants (see GREET model as an example) the CR TDIs, and other modern light duty diesel vehicles, are only surpassed (meaning better for the environment) by current EVs getting power from non-coal sources.

So if one of your top concerns is the environment and air quality for a CUV/SUV, you are better off buying the GM Equinox diesel than the Toyota RAV4 gasoline hybrid (see waxman posts using the Argonne National Labs GREET model).

BeetlePD

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle 2005
Greenercars.org rates the Compliant CR-TDI Jetta and Cruze Diesel equal to a Tesla Model S
No, actually, with regards to NOx they were not. Everything else, yes.
The non-compliant CR TDIs had better catalytic converters than the PD TDIs, so they actually emitted less NOx . Put another way:

CR TDIs emitted upto 40x more NOx than 2007 US law allowed

PD TDIs emitted upto 100x more NOx than 2007 US law allowed (so they were discontinued here)

Last edited:

El Serch

TDI
Jetta 2003, 5 speeds, pass away, current Jetta 2011, Manual 6 Speed
Gentlemen, I want to go for DPF-EGR Delete, what exactly I need to remove? any instruction on how to do this? and where I need to send my module for tuning?
I will appreciate your feedback.