2015 Gen 3 Fix Phase 2

16vjohn

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
Lol, that doesn't surprise me one bit. They'd lose their head if it wasn't stapled on. That said, I'm happy they didn't drain my 800-mile-old Liqui Moly.

jfc2697

TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6Speed
So I was told today they had to order some parts kinda crazy they don’t have the parts ready ahead of time.

16vjohn

TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
So I was told today they had to order some parts kinda crazy they don’t have the parts ready ahead of time.
I had the same experience. Tech just said there were a lot of variables and some cars needed more parts than what the kits had. Considering some cars are getting DPF assemblies, it's understandable they don't want to stock such an expensive part for what may or may not come through the door. But yeah. They gave you a loaner right?

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Yeah, I think I’ll wait a bit until the VW dealer network unf*cks themselves on this one.

jfc2697

TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6Speed
Well just got the call my car is done :) Here is pic of parts they used for the fix. Since i'm on call for work ill pick my car up tmrw and report back what i think. Let me know if parts were different from yours.

Last edited:

16vjohn

TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
Looks like you got the 2A and 2B kit as well... your parts list is the same, except for the last digits for application I guess.

Last edited:

senez

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat DSG
So I'm in the weird remarketed area, where I bought a 'new' Passat TDI last May that already had Phase 1 of the fix.

I received a call today to schedule Phase 2 and they needed the claim number. Well.......I don't have one. Calling VW Claims, they confirmed that there isn't a claim for that VIN. The dealer claims they need the claim number to unlock the software fix for the Passat.

So I'm stuck in Phase 2 Purgatory.

senez

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat DSG
Perhaps you just need to submit a claim? Who knows, you could get paid for Phase 2.
I tried that route right off the bat and the system tells me that my VIN is 'ineligible for additional compensation.'

So the system is smart enough to know that it was a fixed new TDI. Claims says they don't need a number for Phase 2. Dealer, twice, says they do.

And here I am, stuck in the middle ...

16vjohn

TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
What I'd do, email the class counsel and open a case with VW Customer Care. The regional case manager may be able to authorize an override to that requirement at the dealer level.

Honestly, why would anybody get phase 2 if there weren't compensation? I'd be genuinely surprised if there isn't cash tied to phase 2 on remarketed.

sloguydoin75

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 2004 jetta wagen
Last year I surrendered our 2010 manual Sportwagen with 220K miles. I was surprised that they paid me $12K for it. I mentioned how I would love to buy another TDI sportwagen.
The salesman said that they had permission to sell their 20+ 2015 TDI. We suddenly jumped on the opportunity. After 10 months of driving, we have logged 27K miles and we haven't gone on any trips yet. My wife was a bit reluctant about the automatic, but she enjoys it now. Around town we are averaging 48+ mpg. Time for me to get back to my 2003 'wagen with 310K miles. it needs some new vacuum lines. I loves these cars!

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDi 6 Speed Manual
Service tech said original owner cars get a new DPF/DOC regardless of miles. Remarketed cars only get the new sensor, for now.
Does anyone have any more info on if this is accurate? Seems if the fix was all about getting the emissions in compliance, the number of owners would be irrelevant.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I've read between the lines that phase 1 was getting the emissions to meet compliance, phase 2 is about longevity of the emissions components to meet the serviceable life of the car (150Kmiles)

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
I've read between the lines that phase 1 was getting the emissions to meet compliance, phase 2 is about longevity of the emissions components to meet the serviceable life of the car (150Kmiles)
Makes sense. But somewhere in all that legal mumbo jumbo it has to spell out precisely who gets what. I'll attempt to search the court documents and see what I can find concerning the original owner, subsequent owner stuff.
Mine had 2,800 miles on it when I purchased it.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Makes sense. But somewhere in all that legal mumbo jumbo it has to spell out precisely who gets what. I'll attempt to search the court documents and see what I can find concerning the original owner, subsequent owner stuff.
Mine had 2,800 miles on it when I purchased it.
Have you seen this thread? http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=5404905&postcount=81

It spells out a little bit more than the Phase 1 warranty supplement booklet does.

For instance, I purchased my car "new" last May as one of the stop-sale cars that were fixed with Phase 1. According to the mailer (and my car is a DSG), if I bring my car in now with less than 40K miles, I will get the Phase 2 flash and a second NOx sensor only. I should then return sometime after 70K miles to receive the new DPF, DOC, and SCRC.

Sounds like a logistical nightmare for VW, but that's how I read the document.

the beave

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI S
Last year I surrendered our 2010 manual Sportwagen with 220K miles. I was surprised that they paid me $12K for it. I mentioned how I would love to buy another TDI sportwagen.
The salesman said that they had permission to sell their 20+ 2015 TDI. We suddenly jumped on the opportunity. After 10 months of driving, we have logged 27K miles and we haven't gone on any trips yet. My wife was a bit reluctant about the automatic, but she enjoys it now. Around town we are averaging 48+ mpg. Time for me to get back to my 2003 'wagen with 310K miles. it needs some new vacuum lines. I loves these cars!
Important as here in the Seattle area Reg Gas has jumped up to $3.49/gallon and diesel is up to $3.39 a gallon and up.
Thank God for the Diesel Jetta's and other VW's!!
beave

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Oil was around $100 yet was still only $3.50 at the pumps. Someone is making a killing.

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
Have you seen this thread? http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=5404905&postcount=81
It spells out a little bit more than the Phase 1 warranty supplement booklet does.
For instance, I purchased my car "new" last May as one of the stop-sale cars that were fixed with Phase 1. According to the mailer (and my car is a DSG), if I bring my car in now with less than 40K miles, I will get the Phase 2 flash and a second NOx sensor only. I should then return sometime after 70K miles to receive the new DPF, DOC, and SCRC.
Sounds like a logistical nightmare for VW, but that's how I read the document.
humm... Interesting... I'm the 2nd owner of my Passat and Phase 1 was done while I was the owner. Hard to figure out exactly what the document says about my situation. I may just wait until I hit 70,000 (manual trans) miles and make it a one time service visit. I've not heard of any time limit for having phase 2 completed.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Going to the train station this morning, just since my last post, Chevron raised the Diesel price to $3.69 a gallon!!!!!!!
Holy you know what. :eek:
Beave
Why is the west coast so expensive? Is it just because of three liberal states and their outrageous fuel taxes or are there other forces at play? Refining capability?

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Why is the west coast so expensive? Is it just because of three liberal states and their outrageous fuel taxes or are there other forces at play? Refining capability?
Both...

California does require a cleaner burning fuel to create less smog.

But also, they have 58.3¢ per gallon of gas in state taxes in addition to the 18.4¢ per gallon in federal tax

Miss_Athanatos

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen 6-speed manual; 2016 3500 Ram Tradesman 4X4 6.7L Cummins 6-Speed manual
Does anyone have any post Phase 2 impressions?

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
16vjohn, so you have a 2015 Jetta TDI w/42k miles (below 70k miles), and your Phase 2 fix included a new DPF? I thought manuals below 70k and DSG's below 40k were just getting a 2nd NOX sensor and a reflash, then come back later with more miles on the vehicle to get the new hardware.

dutchsher

TDI
Mk4 Jetta TDI Auto, 15 Golf TDI DSG
Ok ok ok ok... I have been waiting patiently for my account to get approved so I can reply to this thread. There are several things I wanted to respond to.

Firstly, I got my Phase 2 Kit A installed just the other day. My first impression leaving the dealership compared to the Phase 1 was that it seemed the ECU/DSG seemed a bit...confused?. Luckily, I drive around quite a bit. As of today, I have completed about 150 miles since install. Everything seems to be functioning just fine. In fact, with the Phase 1 update the engine and DSG relationship seemed to be mismatched and power was uneven. However, Phase 2, after the ECU figured itself out, everything seems pretty good. Almost back to the way before any updates. The only con is that I do feel it is consuming a bit more fuel, but time will tell overall. To the average driver, you may not notice any difference at all.

I have been reading that there was confusion about a claim number. I was asked for my claim number, but I told them I just purchased mine about a month ago. This was no problem and we went on with business. So, if your dealer tells you can't get your update, tell them otherwise because they are wrong. However, if you are waiting on your final settlement payment, I'm sure you'll have your claim number ready.

Oil changes... I believe the oil changes are intended for the second visit of Phase 2 to the dealer for those who have yet to install Kit B. However, I am sure VW will be keen to change your oil to avoid getting lawyers involved.
For those that do not want their oil change. They probably won't offer it and I'm pretty sure they have to tell you if they will be doing it anyway.

Overall, the experience was great. I had a loaner Beetle, which was... interesting, but glad to have my TDI back. I was only without the car for 1 1/2 days. It took longer only because they did some other warranty work.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
dutchsher, how many miles on yours when you had your Phase 2 Kit A installed? What did the dealership tell you regarding when your vehicle can be brought in for Phase 2?

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
Dropped off yesterday for my Phase 2. Apparently they've done a few now so not the guinea pig as the first on the Stage 1 at my dealer. As an original, new (Pre-DG) 2015 owner, they said I'm getting both kits but no oil change. I'm ok with that as I trust what I've done anyway. I have 51k on the car now. I got a loaner as we were told: 17 Alltrack SE with 224 miles on it.