Chipwerke Piggyback Tuner: 3.0 Dieselgate Solution?

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
VCDS logs won't be useful at all, because tuning boxes by their very nature are "fooling" the ECU into doing something out of bounds while thinking everything is normal.

Maybe some duty cycles would be different, it would take a very practiced eye to recognize. The usual "actual vs specified" boost/timing/duration/rail etc logs would be rendered incorrect at best.

Unless the box is tied into the can bus and very sophisticated (IOW expensive) it is NOT adjusting for each of the myriad modes of operation. (and I doubt that a european company that supplies units for every make and model imaginable would even be aware of the subtle but *critical* differences between usa and euro models of CR TDI engine management)

These devices typically operate by adding a flat percent to one or more parameters, much as if there was a wrong sensor installed in the car. At best it is a scaled change and there is no discrimination between warmup, regen, and normal operation for example. This can be downright dangerous, especially in the USA-spec ecus which are VERY VERY different than the Euro-spec ones, even if the engine hardware seems somewhat similar.

At best the factory limiters will severely hamper the potential benefits of the add on box, at worst they will be bypassed and the ecu will be tricked into destroying some aspect of the hardware.

In other words it probably won't do much, and if it does, then be careful.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
This thread was already hijacked, closed, then reopened once due to the needless insertion of “concerned” or “dismissive” comments of this type. I’d love to get away from the continual digression fueled by ECU tune enthusiasts and ECU tune sellers. If you look at my comments elsewhere you will see that I have spoken fairly of the other solutions out there. Let’s keep this thread narrowly on topic, please. Thank you.

In the coming weeks, I will be posting observations about my q5’s performance and fuel efficiency under the Chipwerke module post emissions fix. Stay tuned.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
I hooked up the Chipwerke today. First impression: noticeably more powerful both during the warm up and after. I was using the unit prior to the fix and noticed a difference before, but post fix, reattaching the device I am noticing even more of a difference under the same chip setting. Nice pull off the line, no lag. Also noticed a bit more diesel clatter during the warm up compared to post fix without Chipwerke. After warm up, I am using the paddle shifters like I normally do to control my own shift points. The car holds taller gears better under Chipwerke than without. I’ll know more about mpg’s after I put more miles in. I’ll report back.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
It’ll take a while to get usable mpg numbers. I share the car with wifey, she likes to tailgate and normally gets about 3-4 mpg less than I do. She has the car for the week.

I can confirm that the car really pulls nicely with the Chipwerke, no lag. Love it. The shift patterns don’t change back, of course, and if you don’t hav paddles you’re stuck with that. But the performance is excellent.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
OK, I have some fuel economy data now. The first two tanks post fix post Chipwerke averaged to 33.7 mpg. Just over 1000 miles driven. This is up 1.2 mpg from the previous two tanks, post fix pre Chipwerke. So, a small increase, nothing huge, but in concert with the added low end power a nice extra.

The difference in engine performance when fully warm, on a warm day, is significant vs. winter. We'll see what summer diesel does with summer air temperatures. I was routinely getting over 35 mpg pre fix, so something yet to discover.

=Law=

TDI
2014 Q5 TDI
OK, I have some fuel economy data now. The first two tanks post fix post Chipwerke averaged to 33.7 mpg. Just over 1000 miles driven. This is up 1.2 mpg from the previous two tanks, post fix pre Chipwerke. So, a small increase, nothing huge, but in concert with the added low end power a nice extra.

The difference in engine performance when fully warm, on a warm day, is significant vs. winter. We'll see what summer diesel does with summer air temperatures. I was routinely getting over 35 mpg pre fix, so something yet to discover.
Been following your thread, and have a similar mindset. Any updates on the chipwerke post fix?
Performance, mileage etc.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
Been following your thread, and have a similar mindset. Any updates on the chipwerke post fix?

Performance, mileage etc.

Summer diesel, summer temperatures and the mpg has crept up to 35 on the last tank. Performance is improved, particularly in the 1500-2300 rpm band. No codes or warning lights in over a year of use.

I make no pretense that the piggyback tune is an apples for apples likeness to an ECU tune. There seem to be times when the chip tune is more noticeable and times when it is less noticeable. Can’t be sure. But I am pretty sure, actually, that the Chipwerke is helping MORE post fix than it did pre-fix. Hope this helps.

=Law=

TDI
2014 Q5 TDI
Summer diesel, summer temperatures and the mpg has crept up to 35 on the last tank. Performance is improved, particularly in the 1500-2300 rpm band. No codes or warning lights in over a year of use.

I make no pretense that the piggyback tune is an apples for apples likeness to an ECU tune. There seem to be times when the chip tune is more noticeable and times when it is less noticeable. Can’t be sure. But I am pretty sure, actually, that the Chipwerke is helping MORE post fix than it did pre-fix. Hope this helps.
Thanks - sounds promising. Like you, my interest lies in preserving the warranty, especially because I question how much testing has been done on the "fix".

What's the shifting/transmission been like? I've seen many people complaining about erratic shifting post fix and wonder if the chipwerke would make that any worse?

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks - sounds promising. Like you, my interest lies in preserving the warranty, especially because I question how much testing has been done on the "fix".
What's the shifting/transmission been like? I've seen many people complaining about erratic shifting post fix and wonder if the chipwerke would make that any worse?
It has been good. I did a throttle reset right after the fix, which consists of turning on the car but not the engine, mashing the pedal down for 15 seconds, then releasing and turning off the car. Whether that helped, the chip helped, or whether others have simply been unlucky with their fix or their dealership, I don’t know. But I never have had weird shifting.

On another note, there is a 10% discount code that Chipwerke promotes on their Facebook site. I have been trying to get them to give a special 15% discount for my forum friends, but nothing so far. I bought mine before the price increase.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
PS to the shifting report: Cold engine shifting is changed. All agree on that. For the warm up phase it doesn’t want to shift until 2100 or 2200 rpm. After, about 1800-1900, but you can manually override, which I often do. When warm, the ECU will allow me to hold a gear as low as 1200 rpms, depending on incline.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
The money you spend on a "Chipwerke" tuning box is just about what a real ECU tune from Kerma, Malone etc would cost you. The ECU tune is tailored for the cars engine and ECU, a tuning box is not. Waste of money as far as I'm concerned.

On my Jetta I had a stage 2 Unitronics tune and now I have a stage 2 Malone tune.

On my former 2002 Jetta, the car learned your driving habits and to reset the AUTOMATIC transmission, you would hold down the accelerator, turn the key to on and hold for 15 seconds. Turn the key off and release the pedal. I did not know that that is still applicable?

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
The money you spend on a "Chipwerke" tuning box is just about what a real ECU tune from Kerma, Malone etc would cost you. The ECU tune is tailored for the cars engine and ECU, a tuning box is not. Waste of money as far as I'm concerned.

On my Jetta I had a stage 2 Unitronics tune and now I have a stage 2 Malone tune.

On my former 2002 Jetta, the car learned your driving habits and to reset the AUTOMATIC transmission, you would hold down the accelerator, turn the key to on and hold for 15 seconds. Turn the key off and release the pedal. I did not know that that is still applicable?

Well, if there was no warranty, I’d be right there with you on the ECU tune. As it is, I have a warranty through 2024, that I don’t want to imperil. All this explained in earlier posts.

The throttle reset procedure is still valid for diesels. Gassers work differently and they are reset through VCDS

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Well, if there was no warranty, I’d be right there with you on the ECU tune. As it is, I have a warranty through 2024, that I don’t want to imperil.

Well I also bought the Flashzilla tool with my tune so I can revert back to stock if I need to take the car back for anything other than an oil change. I do understand they can tell, but I also think it isn't too likely that they will check. Yes I too have an extended warranty and if or when I get the Phase 2
there will be an extension.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
Update: I turned the Chipwerke module up another notch and love the extra power. Too soon to report on fuel efficiency. Still problem free.

TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Just bought a Chipwerke module. Not installed yet. Are you using B-1 setting like the instructions or did you change something?

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
Just bought a Chipwerke module. Not installed yet. Are you using B-1 setting like the instructions or did you change something?

I recently turned it up to D-2. Works very well. Lots of turbo boost available when running lower rpms on a fully warm engine.

TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
I recently turned it up to D-2. Works very well. Lots of turbo boost available when running lower rpms on a fully warm engine.
Tried it on D-2. There was a loud "diesel clatter" around 2000 RPM but the acceleration was great. I switched to B-1 and the clatter is gone. Will try it a few days.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
Tried it on D-2. There was a loud "diesel clatter" around 2000 RPM but the acceleration was great. I switched to B-1 and the clatter is gone. Will try it a few days.

Yep. There is some clatter on mine, I think it is maybe closer to 1800, but I like it, lol. Let us know your other findings, including fuel efficiency.

mike

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Q5 Tdi, RIP 2003 Jetta GLS 5sp
Well I also bought the Flashzilla tool with my tune so I can revert back to stock if I need to take the car back for anything other than an oil change. I do understand they can tell, but I also think it isn't too likely that they will check. Yes I too have an extended warranty and if or when I get the Phase 2
there will be an extension.
It is possible to restore the old tune with the higher mpg's then!
Sounds like the way to go if you haven't been fixed yet.

Anyone actually restored the old tune this way?

TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Still using Chipwerke (on B-1 setting) on my Q5.

I had the dieselgate fix about 3 weeks before I installed the Chipwerke but I've been travelling (air) in this period. In "driving days", we could say both changes were done almost at the same time.

I compared my fillups for August and September 2017 and 2018 as I felt they were comparable driving habits (road trips during August vacations and normal commuting in September).

Since installing the Chipwerke, I noticed fuel consumption was lower as indicated on trip computer but distance between fillups didn't seem really different. So I looked at my Fuelly data.

Average fuel consumption for the whole 2 months didn't change (1% difference).
Average distance between fillups didn't change (1.3% difference)
Difference between trip computer fuel consumption and calculated is way more optimistic. 6.2% optimistic in 2017; 9.7% optimistic in 2018 (with Chipwerke). I'd say it makes sense since the higher fuel pressure would fool the computer by injecting more fuel than expected.

We could say:
a) the Chipwerke didn't change fuel consumption or,
b) it "cancelled" the announced increase after the fix (which is not so bad after all).

For power, I prefer the "before" (before both the fix and the Chipwerke) than "after" but it is a good compromise.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
Still using Chipwerke (on B-1 setting) on my Q5.

I had the dieselgate fix about 3 weeks before I installed the Chipwerke but I've been travelling (air) in this period. In "driving days", we could say both changes were done almost at the same time.

I compared my fillups for August and September 2017 and 2018 as I felt they were comparable driving habits (road trips during August vacations and normal commuting in September).

Since installing the Chipwerke, I noticed fuel consumption was lower as indicated on trip computer but distance between fillups didn't seem really different. So I looked at my Fuelly data.

Average fuel consumption for the whole 2 months didn't change (1% difference).
Average distance between fillups didn't change (1.3% difference)
Difference between trip computer fuel consumption and calculated is way more optimistic. 6.2% optimistic in 2017; 9.7% optimistic in 2018 (with Chipwerke). I'd say it makes sense since the higher fuel pressure would fool the computer by injecting more fuel than expected.

We could say:
a) the Chipwerke didn't change fuel consumption or,
b) it "cancelled" the announced increase after the fix (which is not so bad after all).

For power, I prefer the "before" (before both the fix and the Chipwerke) than "after" but it is a good compromise.

Good report. Fuel economy decreases of 5-10% have been reported from the fix alone so a “net even” is not bad.

I am still at setting D-2. Fuel efficiency has gone down but how much is unclear as my wife has been doing the bulk of the driving recently and she is much more brake happy than I, lol. Power is excellent. Still no check engine lights or part failures to report.

ECFG

TDI
2013 Audi Q7 TDI, Vanagon Westphalia Syncro TD, 2004 Jetta Wagen TDI
Mythdoc....
Based on your experience, plus the others who have chimed in, I think I'll take the plunge and try the Chipwerke. My Audi Q7 TDI has been plagued with CEL / Glow Plug light, etc since the software was "fixed" in late 2017, just before I purchased the vehicle. I love the car, and hope the Chipwerke makes a difference. I will report back once I get it installed and a tank or two of fuel mileage. Thanks to all who have shared their experiences.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
Mythdoc....
Based on your experience, plus the others who have chimed in, I think I'll take the plunge and try the Chipwerke. My Audi Q7 TDI has been plagued with CEL / Glow Plug light, etc since the software was "fixed" in late 2017, just before I purchased the vehicle. I love the car, and hope the Chipwerke makes a difference. I will report back once I get it installed and a tank or two of fuel mileage. Thanks to all who have shared their experiences.

I’ll be very interested to learn how it does in a Q7. Make sure they send you a diesel module. They shipped a gasser to me first time.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
Chipwerke modules on sale for Black Friday. 20%
Code: blckfri20

(I am not a seller just a satisfied customer letting others know about a deal)

dunerking

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
I've been on the fence about going with the Chipwerke since having the fix done to our Cayenne. I'd love to do a tune but definitely don't want to void the warranty. Thanks for the heads up on the Chipwerke promo code. Is that offer only good for Friday? I tried to apply it and it said that code doesn't exist. Thanks again

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
I've been on the fence about going with the Chipwerke since having the fix done to our Cayenne. I'd love to do a tune but definitely don't want to void the warranty. Thanks for the heads up on the Chipwerke promo code. Is that offer only good for Friday? I tried to apply it and it said that code doesn't exist. Thanks again

I spoke to their representative today. I think it is only for Friday.