Help , won't start after oil change and cool down?

spen40

TDI
Jetta 2006 Auto trans.
I changed oil in 06 tdi jetta and then went for a short drive and all was well. I then parked in garage overnight and in the morning It would not run. That is it would show glow plug heating and everything looked normal and it would crank but no start up. then I discovered that I had put wrong oil in it. 15w40 . I have never had crank starter before so I don't know it the oil pressure indicator icon is to appear after three or four turns of crank time. Is this normal or has the oil affected the pressure switch and can that stop engine from starting? any help would sure be apprieated thanks , Spen

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
The oil shouldn't prevent it starting surely but I have read of suggestions that when the car has failed to start you have to crank it until the oil light comes on then immediately try again and it should fire although a bit rough at first. There must be some kind of bug in the system but other than that there's another thread on here somewhere where the guys car wouldn't start after an oil change, I'll go and see if I can find it.:)

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Normal for the oil light to come on if you have to crank alot. There's a timer in there somewhere. 15-40 might be a bit thick if engine is super cold, making for slow cranking. Otherwise, the two issues are not connected.

Listen for your fuel lift pump when you first turn the key to run. It should whirr for a few seconds. If no whirr, pump might be failed and that makes for hard starts.

spen40

TDI
Jetta 2006 Auto trans.
won't start after oil change and cool down

Hi thanks for any help you can find! I have cranked many times today as I warmed the motor with a heater but I haven't let it crank very long each time for fear of over heating starter. maybe four or five cranks a most. Did I mention that it started fine after the change and I drove it about a half mile and back home . ran great but after cool down which was in the morning. failed to fire.

before oil change this car would start in about one turn always. except cold morning maybe a couple turns and alittle rougf bit.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
I would try cranking it longer even though it seems wrong then stop for 20 seconds or so to let it cool but only try it 3-4 times because if it doesn't start by then there's something not right for sure. I forgot you'd been for a short drive first. DOH!

spen40

TDI
Jetta 2006 Auto trans.
Yes, it started and ran fine. I have noticed on some of these threads that look simular to my situation that the thread seem to change to fuel and not oil. In my case i did not touch anything else just oil and filter.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
1. Put the battery on charge overnight.

2. in the morning, get a watch or clock with a second hand and crank the engine until it starts OR for a maximum of 40 seconds. Do this the FIRST TIME YOU TRY TO START THE CAR.

Don't forget to let the glow plug light go out before you start cranking.... The glow plugs continue to work even after the light goes out. The glow plug light going out is simply a cue for you to start cranking the engine.

------------------

Do not give up after just a few seconds of cranking. Crank ONCE for the entire 40 seconds before letting the key out of the start position.

Stop cranking ONLY when the cars actually starts OR the time (40 seconds) is up.

Ignore the OIL light until the engine is actually running. It will come on when you crank for an extended time.

If the engine is firing on only some of the cylinders, give the accelerator a little nudge to help it run smoother. A LITTLE NUDGE.

Watch the RPMs and keep them under 1500.

RTFM is always helpful.:)

Bill

Last edited:

spen40

TDI
Jetta 2006 Auto trans.
thanks for the help!

I removed the wrong oil and installed the propper viscosity oil and after running the starting motor for about 25 seconds my car did start up and run fine. It sure does the heart good to hear that little tdi run and pur so pretty. Thanks All!!!!!!!!!!!!!

naturist

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jeep Libby CRD, 2012 BMW X5 35d
Glad you got it running. 15w 40 is VERY much thicker oil than 5w 40, so perhaps it was just cold enough, and you battery was just low enough that the mix kept it from starting. It is well known that these engines MUST have a certain speed of rotation on cranking or they will refuse to start, and that minimum speed doesn't sound all that slow to the ear. Evidently you were just below that speed.

Do pay attention to use exactly the right oil in that car. As you discovered, that engine is very picky about it.