Volkswagen says US pickup is back on the table

Kabin

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta '04 PD TDI/Tip
Apparently the US pickup market is too crowded to dip their feet in. So much for that nice looking toyota-like beachcruiser that crossed the web about a year ago.

http://www.trucktrend.com/features/news/2009/163_news090828_vw_us_product_plans_amarok_pickup_isnt_part_of_them/index.html

Jacoby said that VW won't go chasing markets it can't compete strongly in, such as pickup trucks, meaning the Amarok truck concept unveiled a few months ago is likely not coming to the U.S. after all.
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/08/volkswagen-not-planning-pickup-truck-for-us-market.html

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Idiots.

If they would have brought it here with a diesel, they could have done very well. Especially with Ford, GM, Dodge and Toyota shelving all light-duty diesel plans.

Diesel_Mikey

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
I don't see how the pickup idea wouldn't fit their new "lowest common denominator" strategy for the US. People do want pickups, and I'm surprised VW would let the minor detail that they have no real expertise in making pickups stand in their way. After all, they also have no expertise in making couches on wheels, yet here they are poised to come out with a Camry-fighter.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)

DoctorDawg

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta Loyal Edition
Dear Mr. Jacoby:

Like a large number of other Americans, I own a rapidly-aging American work-horse diesel pickup ('95 Dodge Ram Cummins, used to haul horses) which I am eager to replace before everything but the engine completely falls apart (and that day is fast approaching). Unfortunately, American pickup manufacturers have completely lost my confidence. You couldn't pay me enough to persuade me to own another Dodge and accept its congenital quality problems, and anyway all that the American diesel pickup manufacturers are offering nowadays is "vacation condos on wheels", not honest work trucks. Further, with the archaic diesel technology which American manufacturers are so wedded to, the fuel economy of their current offerings is simply unacceptable. I think you'd be surprised to discover that there are really very few 'Ford guys' or 'Dodge guys' or 'Chevy guys' left in this country...nowadays we're mostly just guys who are looking for trucks that will get the job done, reliably and economically...and we're not finding any.

For good or ill, America still runs on pickup trucks, and will for years to come. Introduce into this market a working-strength diesel pickup incorporating VW's world-beating diesel technology and passion for superb engineering, and support that introduction with smart marketing and a sensible advertising budget, and VW could own this market in a few short years.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
DoctorDawg said:
... Further, with the archaic diesel technology which American manufacturers are so wedded to, ...
Yep, those 'murican manufacturers with their pee-ay-zoe injectors and common rail pumps are so behind the times. They need to catch up to VW's 'world beating diesel technology' that uses... piezo injectors and common rail pumps.

:rolleyes:

Pull your head out of the ground. VW is the company that had to dump their unit injectors and catch up to the rest of the world using common rail. Sheesh.

VW might be able to compete in the small pickup market, but do they even have a full size truck chassis?

DoctorDawg

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta Loyal Edition
Powder Hound said:
Yep, those 'murican manufacturers with their pee-ay-zoe injectors and common rail pumps are so behind the times. They need to catch up to VW's 'world beating diesel technology' that uses... piezo injectors and common rail pumps.
World-beating technology is technology that works better than others; it has nothing to do with being the first guys to get a technology to market. Sure, Dodge/Cummins (for instance) embraced common-rail and all some time ago...whereupon their engines went straight to hell.

The new TDI CR engines are a beautiful thing. Put a right-sized one in a full-size pickup, and you'd have to pin me down on the ground to keep me out of one.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
Powder Hound said:
VW might be able to compete in the small pickup market, but do they even have a full size truck chassis?
Couldn't they make something on the Crafter chassis?

A single cab, long wheelbase Crafter 50 has a 99 sq. ft. bed, hauls 5875 lbs and tows 17637 lbs. I think that could be useful for some American contractors.

I had a Crafter van when I moved. It was very capable and fun to drive.

It's available in a BlueMotion version with urea injection that exceeds the current Euro5 emission standard and meets the European EEV (Enhanced Environmentally Friendly Vehicle) standard. So it would be CARB compliant with hardly any extra work.

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
German_1er_diesel said:
I imagine it would cost $50k-$60k or more.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
TornadoRed said:
I imagine it would cost $50k-$60k or more.
Well, the heavy-duty Crafter 50 pickup with the most powerful diesel is about €37k before taxes.

Daimler somhow manages to sell Sprinters in the USA, only with a drivetrain that Europeans see as much too expensive for a work vehicle. (V6 diesel, automatic transmission) - how are they priced?

A comparable Sprinter pickup with the V6 diesel and automatic transmission stickers at €41.5k.

Last edited:

macdave

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle, 2003 Jetta Wagon, 2004 Jetta Wagon
German_1er_diesel said:

A single cab, long wheelbase Crafter 50 has a 99 sq. ft. bed, hauls 5875 lbs and tows 17637 lbs. I think that could be useful for some American contractors.

I had a Crafter van when I moved. It was very capable and fun to drive.

It's available in a BlueMotion version with urea injection that exceeds the current Euro5 emission standard and meets the European EEV (Enhanced Environmentally Friendly Vehicle) standard. So it would be CARB compliant with hardly any extra work.

They do sell that in the US, it is called a Dodge Sprinter here. I think 3 roof heights, 3 lengths and a cutaway option.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
macdave said:
They do sell that in the US, it is called a Dodge Sprinter here. I think 3 roof heights, 3 lengths and a cutaway option.
Same basic body, completely different drivetrain. The Crafter could be cheaper, if they would offer it with the 2.5 TDI, like they do in Europe.

Mercedes is going to take over Sprinter distribution from Dodge. Of course they could use the 2.2L 4-cylinders they have in Europe for US models too.

loaba

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Jetta Sportwagen
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/06/is-the-volkswagen-amarok-coming-to-america.html

Per the above article, VW has at least protected the Amarok name here in the US, but still doesn't have plans to sell it here. Methinks the OP's linked article (that I can't read) says basically that.

The article that I've linked to mentions the so-called "chicken" tax. To quickly paraphrase it, the Euro's screwed over American chicken farmers in the 60's, so we screwed over Euro truck manufactures to get back at 'em. :rolleyes: Y'know, that's just crapulence all the way around. Near as I can tell, if people bought the Honda Ridgeline, they might just buy a VW light truck.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Covers come off new VW one-tonne truck

GERMANY: Covers come off new VW one-tonne truck

1 December 2009 | Source: Graeme Roberts

Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles on Tuesday revealed full details of the long-awaited Amarok double cab pickup truck, the unit's fourth model line and the first mid-size, one-tonne pickup to be developed in Germany. The vehicle will soon go into production at the automaker's Pacheco plant in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

The launch engine is a 120kW/163PS version of VW's proven 2.0TDI turbodiesel with two-stage bi-turbo turbocharging and peak torque of 400Nm at 1,500 rpm. A 90kW/122PS I4 Tdi will follow in mid-2010. It has a turbocharger with variable turbine geometry and develops maximum torque of 340Nm from 2,000 rpm. Both engines will have a six-speed manual transmission as standard.

The four-wheel drive 122PS models uses as little as 7.6 litres per 100km (about 37mpg) and emits 199g CO2/km. The 163PS engine uses 7.8 litres/100km and emits 206g/km of CO2.

VW claims it is the first all wheel drive truck in its class with CO2 emissions under 200g/km. The 80-litre fuel tank gives the new pickup a theoretical range of over 1,000km (620 miles). All models will have an upshift indicator to aid economical driving.

Initial driveline choices will be full time, all wheel drive, switchable '4Motion' all wheel drive and rear wheel drive.

The full time all wheel drive version is rare in its class, VW said. Its Torsen differential distributes drive forces at a 40:60 ratio to the front and rear axles. Selective braking interventions in tough terrain to ensure that the most power goes to the wheel with the best traction.

A rear differential lock is optional on all versions.

A VW spokesman indicated that North American sales were unlikely as the company did not have a commercial vehicle sales and service network in the US or Canada.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
A VW spokesman indicated that North American sales were unlikely as the company did not have a commercial vehicle sales and service network in the US or Canada.

Sure... all they have to do is hire a few gurus to train service teams

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
leicaman said:
Sure... all they have to do is hire a few gurus to train service teams
Start by unleashing them on the current service depts.

We know even if VWOA doesn't that dealer service departments have a higher ability to affect public perception of the quality of the brand than any sales team has.

RocketTDI

TDI
2009 JSW, DSG, Reflex Silver, Anthrocitr
2010 VW Amorak Revealed Production Form

http://www.worldcarfans.com/109120123313/2010-volkswagen-amorak-revealed-in-full-production-form
----------------------------------------------------
Volkswagen has officially unveiled the 2010 Amorak pickup.

Looking virtually identical to the concept, the Amorak features bold styling, a modern grille, and distinctive tail lights. Available exclusively in crew cab form (a "single cab" will debut in the first half of 2011), the truck has a bed height of 525mm, a cargo area of 2.52 square meters (1,555mm in length by 1,620mm in width), and a payload capacity of up to 1.15 tonnes. When equipped with the optional hitch, the Amorak can pull trailers that weigh up to 2.8 tonnes.

Riding on a ladder frame chassis, the Amorak will be offered with full-time all-wheel drive, switchable all-wheel drive, or rear-wheel drive. The switchable all-wheel drive system uses a positive clutch that is activated via the push of a button. When activated, "the truck can even conquer 100 percent gradients (45 degrees) with full cargo loading." On the other hand, the full-time all-wheel drive system has a torsen differential that "distributes drive forces at a 40:60 ratio to the front and rear axles". Regardless of what setup is selected, all models can be equipped with an optional locking rear differential.

At launch, the Amorak will be offered with a 2.0-liter TDI engine that produces 120 kW (163 PS) and 400 Nm of torque. In mid-2010, Volkswagen will introduce another four-cylinder TDI engine that churns out 90 kW (122 PS) and 340 Nm of torque. With all-wheel drive and a six-speed manual transmission, the 90 kW (122 PS) TDI engine consumes 7.6 liters per 100 kilometers while CO2 emissions come in at 199 g/km. Likewise, the 2.0-liter TDI averages 7.8 liters per 100 kilometers while emitting 206 grams of CO2 per kilometer.

In terms of equipment, the base Amorak has manual controls (windows, door locks and mirrors), unpainted exterior components (the front bumper, door handles and mirrors), 16-inch steel wheels, height-adjustable front seats, and a folding rear bench. The mid-level Amarok Trendline boasts body color exterior components, a CD stereo system, cruise control, fog lights, 16-inch aluminum wheels and power windows, door locks and mirrors. The range-topping Amarok Highline comes with chrome exterior trim, 17-inch aluminum wheels, a contrasting interior color scheme, a premium sound system and automatic climate control.

Set to go into production at VW's Pacheco plant in Buenos Aires, Argentina, the Amorak will go on sale in South America in early 2010 while the European launch is scheduled for the second half of 2010.

domboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI 5spd
Blast! I would love to be able to buy one of these... a diesel truck with a manual transmission is really the only kind of truck I'd want. To get that I'd have to buy a huge monster truck at the moment (though kudos to Dodge and Ford for still selling them with a manual transmission!) . I can't fathom why VW thinks it can't sell such a truck here. I'd expect it would sell better than the Golf, Routan, or Tiguan.

Last edited:

dieselyeti

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE (DSG)
TDICADDGUY said:
If they would have brought it here with a diesel, they could have done very well. Especially with Ford, GM, Dodge and Toyota shelving all light-duty diesel plans.
There's a lot to be said for offering something nobody else does. The concept of light-duty diesel is unknown in the US. I think this truck could have carved out its own niche here, just like a TDI Tig would have been a segment-buster as the first small SUV diesel. *sigh*

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
dieselyeti said:
There's a lot to be said for offering something nobody else does. The concept of light-duty diesel is unknown in the US. I think this truck could have carved out its own niche here, just like a TDI Tig would have been a segment-buster as the first small SUV diesel. *sigh*
Ummm... I thought the first small SUV diesel was the Jeep Liberty...

JustLuckey

Veteran Member
TDI
Non-VW: 2016 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I'd like to see another competitor in the 3/4 & 1 ton market appear on US soil. Although Dodge, Ford, and Chevy have produced decent light duty trucks for many years, I think they need a kick in the butt.

I love my Dodge 2500 Cummins. I'm now getting 22.4 mpg on the hwy (hand calc'd). And with a Tonneau added yesterday and another mod on the way, I should be well into the mid-20s over the highway.

But I think that a light duty truck should have no problem getting 30 mpg from the factory.

As a previous poster eluded to, the engines are strong and durable (will out last the rest of the truck) the problem is that they are not terribly efficient and need more quality parts that make up the rest of the vehicle. I replaced my stock exhaust at the 3 year mark because it was rusting so bad, it started to break apart. (read: great time to upgrade to a 5" turbo-back).

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
JustLuckey said:
I'd like to see another competitor in the 3/4 & 1 ton market appear on US soil. Although Dodge, Ford, and Chevy have produced decent light duty trucks for many years, I think they need a kick in the butt.
A few years back, Nissan made it known that they had very long-term plans to get back into the diesel market here in the USA. I had thought it would be with the Diesel Maxima and Altima that apparently are cancelled, but how about Nissan stepping into the 3/4 and 1 ton pickup market? Texas has a huge pickup market, and they're buying Titans and Tundras there. No American sentimentality when Nissan and Toyota are getting the job done. Does Nissan have a V-8 diesel that could be adapted to US emissions regulations for the medium-duty truck market?

winks

Veteran Member
with a 2.8 tonnes towing cap. this truck should be compared to a 1/4 ton truck, I don't know why people are comparing it to their 2500's and 3500's:rolleyes:
I know I wouldn't be running out and trading in my Cummins for one of these Ridgelines in Sunday clothes:D

Now, if they brought back the diesel rabbit pick up......that would get noticed for sure:D

domboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI 5spd
winks said:
with a 2.8 tonnes towing cap. this truck should be compared to a 1/4 ton truck, I don't know why people are comparing it to their 2500's and 3500's:rolleyes:
I know I wouldn't be running out and trading in my Cummins for one of these Ridgelines in Sunday clothes:D

Now, if they brought back the diesel rabbit pick up......that would get noticed for sure:D
Well, I for one would do fine with a 1/4 ton pickup with a diesel engine and a manual transmission... but to get the latter two features I would be forced to buy one of those 2500 or larger models. And I would rather do that then buy a gasoline pickup. Right now I don't need to tow 15000lbs, but 5600lbs would be nice...

Last edited: