Pennzoil PLATINUM 5W-30 LONG LIFE VW 507

Racer007

Veteran Member
TDI
NA
Does anyone know if this oil is available here in the States or have any experience using it? Looks like a good oil but impossible to find.

www.pennzoil.se/produktblad/WORD/DOKUMENT/Bensinmotorolja/PLATINUM_5W-30%20LONG_LIFE_Synthetic.pdf

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
I would write to Pennzoil and ask what they're marketing plan is for such a product.

boogieman

TDI
'04 Jetta TDI, Gray, Completely stock(unfortunately), including the gay hubcaps, 138,000miles
Racer007 said:
Does anyone know if this oil is available here in the States or have any experience using it? Looks like a good oil but impossible to find.

www.pennzoil.se/produktblad/WORD/DOKUMENT/Bensinmotorolja/PLATINUM_5W-30%20LONG_LIFE_Synthetic.pdf
Mostly just my opinion, but some science behind it, you shouldnt use any type of penziol. Its all garbage allways has been, thats why its always been so cheap.

IF you want a good oil, use Royal Purple , its the best you can buy for use in any vehicle. Its $7 a quart but its well worth it. I use the 5w-30

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
boogieman said:
Mostly just my opinion, but some science behind it, you shouldnt use any type of penziol. Its all garbage allways has been, thats why its always been so cheap.

IF you want a good oil, use Royal Purple , its the best you can buy for use in any vehicle. Its $7 a quart but its well worth it. I use the 5w-30
Oh no! Another n00b marching into yet ANOTHER oil war! :rolleyes:

Mods, kill this thread now, PLEASE!!! :mad:

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
boogieman said:

Royal Purple DOES NOT make an oil rated for MY car. (it needs 505.01 or 507.00)

Boogie, Have you changed your Timing Belt yet?

Bill

boogieman

TDI
'04 Jetta TDI, Gray, Completely stock(unfortunately), including the gay hubcaps, 138,000miles
it was changed before i bought the car at about 115k WHY

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
boogieman said:
it was changed before i bought the car at about 115k WHY

Just looking out for a newbie. They should have changed everything in the belt path including the water pump. (idlers, etc,)

Bill

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
I would not use this oil 1.3% ash and a VIS of 10.9, appears to be relabled 0W30.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
How does it meet VAG 507.00 with so much ash?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Racer, didn't you write back in August "Looks like the new CJ4 version of Rotella T would get my nod so far based on cost and availability and the favorable comments of several other members here. Looks like the 507 spec really has nothing to offer me and my ALH."

Why are you even considering/reconsidering a 507.00 rated oil? Did a very rich uncle just die and leave you a sizable bequest, but you must spend $30 million in 30 days in order to qualify for the other $300 million?

TDI
2004 golf
boogieman said:

Dude, what are you talking about. Pennzoil conventional oil has been one of the best non-synthetics you can buy for quite some time, its good stuff. You have no basis to say "its garbage and always has been". And to just come out and say "royal purple is the best oil you can use" just makes you sound... well, not so oil-smart.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I am not sure when Pennzoil and Quaker State merged, but their combined company was bought up by Royal Dutch Shell in 2002. The same products may be sold under different brand names in different countries around the world. It is easier to find the Pennzoil and Quaker State brands in the US. (Jiffy Lube is another division of Shell.)

Royal Purple may be an excellent motor oil, but it's very expensive and I'm not sure the price is worth it. Maybe if you have a bypass filter and are running extended oil change intervals... or maybe not. I've never tried it in any application.

Last edited:

Racer007

Veteran Member
TDI
NA
Tornado, What did I do to you to upset your apple cart? I have a little while to go before my oil change. Do you have a problem with me just looking around to see whats out there and what all makes a good oil for our cars? I also thought I might bring this oil to others attention here as another option or is that banned here by people with nothing else better to do than write critical cranky remarks???

FYI: Pennzoil says they do not make this any more even though the link was dated just this past February

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Racer: My general point is that just because the VW 507.00-spec oil is required for the 2009 TDIs, that does not make it the best choice for pre-2009 TDIs. It has unique qualities which are not required for the older engines.

Some folks believe that both the VW 507.00 oils and the API CJ-4 oils may not be as robust as the older formulas, that they have been weakened to protect emissions equipment. I don't know if this is true, and I am currently running the CJ-4 version of Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40. I plan to stick with the 10k-mile OCI that I've used since my Golf was new, but will eventually test to see how it's doing. $7/quart is pricey enough, I am not interested in paying $3 more for an oil that's no better and probably not as good.

Racer007

Veteran Member
TDI
NA
I'm not interested in paying any more either unless its an oil I can use safely with longer OCIs to offest the higher cost and avoid the extra oil waste. Otherwise as of now it still looks like CJ-4 Rotella T. In the mean while I will keep reading in case I run into a better option.