www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old February 13th, 2015, 19:15   #16
OsirisTDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekG View Post
Just wanted to report an out of the ordinary experience simply for the sake of curiosity.

*First off the car ran perfectly the entire time. I didn't experience any loss in performance, strange noise, dash lights...etc. Just a really long... it lasted 25+ minutes and ~19 miles of driving in mixed city/highway. The scangauge read 1100-1400F Pre-turbo EGT and 1100-1200F DPF for the entire regen which in my experience is perfectly normal.

After 20 minutes I was starting to get concerned just because it has never had regen last that long. I disconnected the scangauge and then re-connnected just to see if it was a glitch...

Thanks!
This was a regen of the NOX storage unit.
Old February 14th, 2015, 00:10   #17
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsirisTDI View Post
This was a regen of the NOX storage unit.
It was a regeneration of the diesel particulate filter. The NOx cat regenerates very rapidly, as seen below.

Old February 14th, 2015, 05:13   #18
OsirisTDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI View Post
It was a regeneration of the diesel particulate filter. The NOx cat regenerates very rapidly, as seen below.

Go for a ride on a highway. Bring someone with your VCDS. Initiate a DPF regen while driving, observe. After the DPF regen, initiate a NOX regen while driving, observe.

What you see during the VCDS initiated NOX regen while driving is very close to the OP's observation with Scanguage.
Old February 14th, 2015, 14:55   #19
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

If a NOx regen involved 30 minutes of elevated exhaust temperatures, I would think I'd be noticing them more frequently, based on the frequency shown in the graph above.

From my short period of driving a new Beetle TDI, the NOx regens involve very short periods of elevated exhaust temperature. I could be way off base though... I haven't tried initiating either of them in VCDS to see what happens.
Old February 14th, 2015, 21:24   #20
OsirisTDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI View Post
If a NOx regen involved 30 minutes of elevated exhaust temperatures, I would think I'd be noticing them more frequently, based on the frequency shown in the graph above... I haven't tried initiating either of them in VCDS to see what happens.
Yeah, give it a try... It was bizarre.
Old February 17th, 2015, 20:31   #21
DaveloMA

TDI(s): None yet

Newbie question: how do you know a regen has started? And how frequently do they typically occur?
DaveloMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2015, 22:22   #22
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveloMA View Post
Newbie question: how do you know a regen has started? And how frequently do they typically occur?
Elevated exhaust temperatures. The dead give-away is when the DPF temperature is over 950F. They typically happen every 200 - 400 miles and last about 10 minutes.
Old February 18th, 2015, 05:22   #23
hotpocketdeath
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveloMA View Post
I use the Torque app and monitor exhaust temps. There are 4 temperature sensors and the 3rd one is essentially the DPF. Whenever it spikes up above 900 or so, like VeeDubTDI mentioned, it's in regen.

There's also some other signs as well. Usually during regen, the engine idles a little higher and not as smooth as it normally would.
hotpocketdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2019, 05:25   #24
vwexpress

So if I'm new to modern VW's and haven't been able to notice the regen cycle, and I go to turn of the car while regen is occurring, what happens to tell me I'm turning it off at regen. And it I turn it right back on to let it finnish??
These gauges you guys are seeing the temps on, price, difficult in install?
vwexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2019, 07:29   #25
prsa01
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwexpress View Post
So if I'm new to modern VW's and haven't been able to notice the regen cycle, and I go to turn of the car while regen is occurring, what happens to tell me I'm turning it off at regen. And it I turn it right back on to let it finnish??
2014 jsw 6m - the things I notice that tell me I'm in regen (most to least noticable) :
- fans running full blast at idle
- slightly elevated idle speed (maybe 50 - 100rpm)
- warm(er) air from vents in stop/go just venting outside air
- less power from stop, more likely to kill engine if not paying attention
- don't overly notice if at highway speed
After shutting down engine, fans will run full blast if during regen for a bit. Not sure about immediately restarting but others have stated interrupted regen will resume relatively quickly on next start.
Old November 3rd, 2019, 08:37   #26
03GolfTDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsa01 View Post
2014 jsw 6m - the things I notice that tell me I'm in regen (most to least noticable) :
- fans running full blast at idle
- slightly elevated idle speed (maybe 50 - 100rpm)
- warm(er) air from vents in stop/go just venting outside air
- less power from stop, more likely to kill engine if not paying attention
- don't overly notice if at highway speed
After shutting down engine, fans will run full blast if during regen for a bit. Not sure about immediately restarting but others have stated interrupted regen will resume relatively quickly on next start.
^This - I typically notice the fans running full tilt first then glance down and see the increased idle (just under 1k RPM). The fans are quite loud when running at 100% and at least my car are noticeable with windows up and while sitting still.

I have interrupted a few regens over my 7 months of ownership, the fans will stay on after you shut down the car. When it was quick stop (convenience store, grocery store, etc.) the car immediately started regeneration as soon as I started back up. I have interrupted a regeneration twice on my way to work and my car sat and cooled for ~9 hours, both cases the regeneration started back up before I could get out of the parking garage (maybe 3-4 minutes idling down 6 levels).

Bolded above - I have DSG and my off the line response is MUCH better when in regeneration, wish it drove like that all the time and not just regeneration mode.
'11 Jetta Sportwagen TDI DSG - 52k
Candy White/Beige
03GolfTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2019, 13:49   #27
meerschm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwexpress View Post

Most of the devices just plug into the OBD connector. some come with displays, some will display on a smart phone

You can also get an auto-polar device that displays on the VW instrument display. cost is $300 plus.

on the original subject, set your google on "Self Study Program 826803"

look around page 71 or so

there is a pretty good section on the various regenerations that dance around each other, including the longer elevated temperature cycle.

the long one targets sulphur, happens right after a DPF soot processing cycle, and can go for 20 minutes or so.

Free advice: it is worth what you pay for it. (sometimes)

Last edited by meerschm; November 10th, 2019 at 06:01.
meerschm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2019, 18:52   #28
-:vw:-

On topic:

I've had some lengthy regens. I've not noticed any adverse effects from them i.e. overheating.

Off topic/tangent:

If mine feels like pulling that regen crap when I'm a block away from work or the house I park it and go on about my day (into work or home for the evening).

I don't let an inadamant object determine my schedule or cost me money in fuel driving around in circles.

Nothing personal but I think some in this forum are a bit too tight with things.

Just my .02.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited by -:vw:-; November 7th, 2019 at 18:55.
-:vw:- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2019, 10:48   #29
JD_2012GolfTDI

TDI(s): 2012 Golf
Fuel Economy: 36

I also use the higher RPM at stoplights as a sign that a regen is happening.

When I notice a regen is underway I now tend to shift into S or manual shift in order to maintain rpms in the 2K-2.5K range and assist with the exhaust temps a bit for the regen to complete. Keeping it in D allows the vehicle to lug an low rpms, and decrease exhaust temps quicker. Seems like I have less regens interrupted now when I turn off vehicle.
JD_2012GolfTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2019, 19:28   #30
roadlust
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -:vw:- View Post
On topic:

I've had some lengthy regens. I've not noticed any adverse effects from them i.e. overheating.

Off topic/tangent:

If mine feels like pulling that regen crap when I'm a block away from work or the house I park it and go on about my day (into work or home for the evening).

I don't let an inadamant object determine my schedule or cost me money in fuel driving around in circles.

Nothing personal but I think some in this forum are a bit too tight with things.

Just my .02.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Doing that is hard on the turbo and the exhaust system because of the high temperatures.

My .02 is thankfully we are all different. ;=)