www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

Old October 29th, 2019, 10:01   #5071
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjclow View Post
And the sun is not very usable as you're trying to get out of the fires way.
That's probably true. My comment about solar was aimed at the earthquake (or similar)scenario where Californians are huddled in the dark, scared and cold for weeks at a time. I will say that if through bad choices or circumstance I was forced to drive through a wall of flames, I would rather it be in a quality EV than ICEV.
turbobrick240 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2019, 11:56   #5072
dremd
Veteran Member

I would say that the number of times that my Tesla has been at to low of a state of charge to get away from a fire could be counted on one hand and have all been when supercharger hopping.
2006 Sprinter
2014 JSW (Went back to VW)
dremd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2019, 16:44   #5073
Tin Man
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51/40/30 TDI PD, 42/37/32 535d, 52/46/42 XE 2.0d

Quote:
Originally Posted by compu_85 View Post
I'm reminded of some of the hurricane evacuations in Florida where all the gas stations were out of fuel, but the Supercharger network was working just fine...
For the last big hurricane I was in the Jacksonville area and had no trouble getting diesel, while there was no gasoline due to lack of delivery.
Tin Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2019, 16:49   #5074
Tin Man
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dremd View Post
I would say that the number of times that my Tesla has been at to low of a state of charge to get away from a fire could be counted on one hand and have all been when supercharger hopping.
The question is two-fold.

1. Would you want to have only EV transport in a blacked out area like we have now in heavily populated areas of California?
2. When the inevitable earthquake happens, wouldn't you rather have something else, perhaps a diesel light 4WD truck?

Just saying.

I'm adventurous enough that if I thought an EV would satisfy my needs, why not!
Old October 29th, 2019, 18:30   #5075
turbovan+tdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
I will say that if through bad choices or circumstance I was forced to drive through a wall of flames, I would rather it be in a quality EV than ICEV.

Why??????????Had to add those to reply.
2003 JSW 1.8T, silver-parting out. 2006 JSW, TDI 5 speed, blue.
turbovan+tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2019, 19:00   #5076
dremd
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
The question is two-fold.
1. Would you want to have only EV transport in a blacked out area like we have now in heavily populated areas of California?
2. When the inevitable earthquake happens, wouldn't you rather have something else, perhaps a diesel light 4WD truck?
Just saying.
I'm adventurous enough that if I thought an EV would satisfy my needs, why not!

I do own a few Diesels, which vehicle I chose to run away would depend heavily on a) what the disaster was and b) how much energy was onboard already.
Tesla community is unbelievably helpful, itís basically a brotherhood even more so than TDI club. Iíve had 2 situations that made it abundantly clear that the Tesla bubble is a nice place even when the **** hits the fan.
1) I was having a tough time getting my mother to and from cancer treatments 245 miles each way in a single day (once per week for several months) due to supercharger locations not being super convenient and their not being charging at the hospital. I posted asking for better plans of attack because my mother would ONLY go if we could charge for free so there was no cost for transport to treatment (aka Diesel is outlawed for this run). I got PMís from 15 people who offered everything from places to stay near hospital, to charging, to use of their longer range Tesla and what ended up was a couple would drive to hospital pick up my car charge it and have it back to me nearly full by the time we needed to leave. Several people asked the hospital to install charging and Tesla ended up installing 4 Hiph power wall connectors so now when we go (once every 3 months) itís super effortless.
2) My MDU developed a coolant leak (you can take the Supra owner out of the BHG, but you can never take the BHG out of the Supra owner) while I was out of town and my car was stuck at a charge spot 150 miles from home. I got a similar response with tons of options for help.

Oh and somewhat related 3) while my MDU warranty work was getting done I had a Platinum Ford Explorer as a rental and had to take my mom for a checkup. She filled in some paperwork and turned it in, after 2-3 minutes she was politely whisked away from me and then I was greeted politely by security who asked me to come with them. After answering about a hundred questions from a social worker about her well being I was finally told that she had marked down that her stress level was much higher than any other visit. Completely clueless I kept racking my brain for what has changed and all I could come up with was that we had to travel in a $50k brand new SUV and not in the normal Tesla. That matched what she said and I was released.
2006 Sprinter
Old October 29th, 2019, 19:02   #5077
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbovan+tdi View Post

As long as I'm pulling a Kowalski/Vanishing Point stunt, I might as well hear my final gasps, lol. Seriously though, our petro fuels are pretty flammable. I suppose a diesel Hummer might be preferable under certain bug out conditions and terrain.
Old October 29th, 2019, 19:05   #5078
dremd
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbovan+tdi View Post
EV will keep going underwater, under fire, under no oxygen and other extreme conditions. chance of a vehicle fire is also lower, however if there is a fire you will definitely make the National news.
2006 Sprinter
Old October 29th, 2019, 19:18   #5079
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Quote:
Oh and somewhat related 3) while my MDU warranty work was getting done I had a Platinum Ford Explorer as a rental and had to take my mom for a checkup. She filled in some paperwork and turned it in, after 2-3 minutes she was politely whisked away from me and then I was greeted politely by security who asked me to come with them. After answering about a hundred questions from a social worker about her well being I was finally told that she had marked down that her stress level was much higher than any other visit. Completely clueless I kept racking my brain for what has changed and all I could come up with was that we had to travel in a $50k brand new SUV and not in the normal Tesla. That matched what she said and I was released.
Wow, that hospital needs to do some sensitivity training. Maybe they deal with a lot of elder abuse, idk. That's heartwarming how supportive the Tesla community is though.
Old October 29th, 2019, 19:22   #5080
dremd
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
Wow, that hospital needs to do some sensitivity training. Maybe they deal with a lot of elder abuse, idk. That's heartwarming how supportive the Tesla community is though.
They were polite the entire time, I never felt scared, super super confused though. My mother had a pleasant talk with a social worker and didnít know I was being talked to until I told her.
2006 Sprinter
Old October 31st, 2019, 12:28   #5081
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: pretty freakin' good.

Quote:
EV will keep going underwater, under fire, under no oxygen and other extreme conditions...
Maybe, but the driver and passengers will have a much more difficult journey under those conditions.
Quote:
...chance of a vehicle fire is also lower, however if there is a fire you will definitely make the National news.
Maybe. In a crash where the battery package is compromised, the chance of an exciting fire is ever present. Go shoot up an EV sometime and watch the fireworks. You'll probably end up with a lot of toxic smoke and puddles of molten metal.

Cheers!

PH
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2019, 12:36   #5082
dremd
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder Hound View Post
Maybe, but the driver and passengers will have a much more difficult journey under those conditions.
Certainly, but the car will keep going AFTER the occupants, not the other way around certainly an advantage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder Hound View Post
Maybe. In a crash where the battery package is compromised, the chance of an exciting fire is ever present. Go shoot up an EV sometime and watch the fireworks. You'll probably end up with a lot of toxic smoke and puddles of molten metal.
Cheers!
PH
Statistics have shown a significant drop in vehicle fires in EV's vs ICE cars. I've been present for 5 ICE vehicle fires (one was mine). I'm actually looking forward to seeing an EV fire (oh the destruction), but I hope it's outside, nobody is inside, and away from anything. And for gods sake that if a police officer is trying to get someone out he isn't to stupid to break glass to grab inside door handle.

Chance of fire from gunshot from inside vehicle is probably (seems likely) higher in EV, but is probably similar or lower when fired from side due to the apparent thickness of the pack from different angles.
2006 Sprinter
Old November 10th, 2019, 05:38   #5083
BeetleGo
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 39/46, usually 41

My next car will be a Model Y. In about 3 years. My TDI is a good car. 700 mile tanks are not uncommon on the road. Thatís pretty hard to beat, and I love my stick and torque, but if anything could get me to switch, it would be a car with a 1 speed and the oomph to get me to highway speed in about 5 seconds. Electric is my future.

TDIís were a great solution until the German motor industry tried pushing cars with ****ty exhaust and calling them clean. No more.

Iíll take an American made car that I will be proud to own. And it wonít be a GM, Ford, or Fiat/Chrysler. America now has the standard. Tesla.
'05 5sp Golf GLS TDI - Rocket Chipped to 1.5, NB hoop style headrests, Mud Flaps, Euro style sideview mirrors (They're blind spotless!), and Koni FSD's (Talk about smoothing the bumps AND tightening the curves!!!)
Don't know how to use the search function? Click Here!
BeetleGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2019, 06:39   #5084
Tin Man
Veteran Member

Cambridge seems to have some good renewable energy choices: https://www.cambridgema.gov/CDD/clim...owerpurchasing
Old November 10th, 2019, 16:02   #5085
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

My next daily driver will be an EV, but that's still two or three years away. Out of what's on the market right now, Chevrolet Bolt, Kia Niro would meet my needs. Tesla too expensive and I want to see how they stand up over a few winters. Thin paint on an aluminum body (S, X) just results in scraped or worn spots, thin paint on a steel body (3, Y) could lead to them becoming rust-buckets. VW may have something interesting by then although supposedly the hatch (ID3) isn't coming to North America, and I'm not interested in a CUV unless it is a Bolt/Niro sized vehicle, i.e. a hatch masquerating as a CUV.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote