Audi 80 1.9Tdi 90hp 1Z VS 1.9Tdi 110hp. NOISE issue...

HF1600ie

TDI
AUDI A6 2.5 TDi Avant AAT 1995
Hi,
First of all, i am not sure if this is the right place... but , here goes my issue...

I have 2 cars at the moment. One is a Seat Ibiza with the 1.9Tdi AFN 110hp engine. The turbo is a VNT15/17.

The other is an Audi 80 1.9Tdi 90hp Avant, 1Z engine. The turbo is a GT15.

Well, keeping the turbo issues apart from the discussion... does any one know why the audi engine a lot noisier than the 110hp ?
Neither of them has an engine cover. The Seat 110hp has a "normal" diesel engine noise, and doesn´t produce hesitations/vibrations....
But in the Audi, i can hear easily the " clak clak clak tak tak tak " noise while operating, and produces a lot more vibrations in specific revs (specially the lower ones).

Any ideias on this? I´ve thought on the Injector Pump timing may be too advanced in the Audi , has it´s value in Vag.com is 78 !

But, may the valves ? Or the cam followers or lifters? I heard that damaged lifters may produce this kind of noise.

Any help would be so much appreciated. The Audi is a Fantastic car, but the Engine noise that gets inside the car is not pleasant at all.

I´ve also made a comparison bettween them, with the hood open , and working at the same time.

Even the engine code is the same in both engine (serial number near the 3rd injector).
Injection pumps may be different, but i believe they´re both Bosch VP37 and dont think that it would make that big difference about the noise issue. They´re both direct injection.

Thanks!

Last edited:

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
All I can tellyou is that my 1Z engine is much noisier than the ALH in the Golf. I've had two 1Zs and they were both the same way.

HF1600ie

TDI
Hmm, that probably means something.
And tell me one thing : Is the noise coming from the top (the valve zone) or from the combustion zone bettween the engine and the injection pump?

Do you feel a bit more vibrations than in a 110hp model?

Thanks

paramedick said:
All I can tellyou is that my 1Z engine is much noisier than the ALH in the Golf. I've had two 1Zs and they were both the same way.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
Does the AFN have a cast aluminum valve cover and sump like the ALH? If so, they should keep tappet and combustion noise quieter than the sheet metal parts in your 1Z.

HF1600ie

TDI
Hi,
Do you mean the black metal cover over the valve section on top ? I believe they´re equal.
Or are you refering about the Black plastic engine cover? Neither of my 2 cars has got one.

I dont know what you mean with "sump".

I think ALH and AFN are very similar. AFN for Seat and ALH for Audi. Both 110hp.

What to you mean with "sheet metal parts" ?

Siorry my English ia not that good.

Thanks! ;)

Chris Bell said:
Does the AFN have a cast aluminum valve cover and sump like the ALH? If so, they should keep tappet and combustion noise quieter than the sheet metal parts in your 1Z.

Last edited:

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
I think your English is very good!

It sounds like your 1Z and your AFN both have black steel (sheet metal) valve covers and oil pans (sumps). ALHs have cast aluminum valve covers and oil pans.

HF1600ie

TDI
Hi, thanks a lot. i think that it´s just a few words (vocabulary) that i dont understand so easily.
Yes, both 1Z and AFN have a metal cover over the valves section.
I dont know what you mean with oils pans (sumps).

I believe that apart from the turbo, both 1z and AFN are very similar (Injection pump is Bosch VP37 EDC15 for both if i´m not wrong).

However, i just can´t understand why the AFN is much quieter, because i can easily hear the " tok tok tok tok " sound coming from bettween the valve section and the injection pump.

Maybe combustion chamber ?

I dont have oil consuption issues. :rolleyes:

Well, gotta keep on finding the differences....

Cheers

Chris Bell said:
I think your English is very good!

It sounds like your 1Z and your AFN both have black steel (sheet metal) valve covers and oil pans (sumps). ALHs have cast aluminum valve covers and oil pans.