From ON to BC: A Wolfsburg Story

Choddaboy

TDI
2014 Golf Sportwagen TDI, Jetta 2001 TDI (sold)
Finally got my hands (kinda site unseen, and yet to be physically in my hands) on a beautiful 2014 Golf TDI 6MT Wolfsburg edition.

I started my automotive life in an ALH Mk4 jetta TDI which I loved dearly. It was sad to see it go 3 years ago when I moved from Toronto to BC.

The time has come to get a car again. The 2014 Mk6 was the route I went down.

Searched long and hard, found this one an hour east of Toronto for a decent price with low km's (45kkm).

Flying out to pick it up and drive it home to Vancouver in a couple weeks.
Any recommendations on routes? Was thinking of avoiding the states due to diesel quality and potential border holdups.

Last edited:

Choddaboy

TDI
Hey Dwagen,

Yea, apparently they brought in some German made models in 2014 and called them Wolfsburgs. Its very similar to the Highline, except I believe it does not have the air conditioned glove box (maybe a few other things?). And, they had a cool 2-piece rim option along with more color options.

No idea what these rims are. Have a feeling it had the optional rims before and the owner put these on and kept the originals.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Sprotwagen LOL

Nice find. surprised you weren't able to track one down closer to home. When I bought my CPO '14 last fall there were 3 or 4 just in BC alone.

Choddaboy

TDI
Sprotwagen LOL

Nice find. surprised you weren't able to track one down closer to home. When I bought my CPO '14 last fall there were 3 or 4 just in BC alone.
Thanks! missed that ;) yea, I found a couple, one was manual, but most are auto. The manual highline's had over 90kkm for the same price

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Thanks! missed that ;) yea, I found a couple, one was manual, but most are auto. The manual highline's had over 90kkm for the same price

What did you pay? Curious to see what the comparison is to what I paid...

2014 CPO Golf Wagon, TDI, Highline, manual, w/60k km - $22,000. Came with a full set of winters, monster mats and cargo liner plus they paid for my flight to the lower mainland.

AllieJetta

TDI
2014 GSW 6M/TDi Wolfsburg
Hey Dwagen,

Yea, apparently they brought in some German made models in 2014 and called them Wolfsburgs. Its very similar to the Highline, except I believe it does not have the air conditioned glove box (maybe a few other things?). And, they had a cool 2-piece rim option along with more color options.

No idea what these rims are. Have a feeling it had the optional rims before and the owner put these on and kept the originals.

Nice find. I just picked up a 2014 Wolfsburg GSW as well. Mine had 34k, manual as well, but grey. Same wheels as yours has. I've got the AC glovebox in mine too, mine came with two sets of wheels and tires, two sets of mats, etc.

One thing though, they're all Mexi built cars. If you look at your VIN, its likely starts with 3 instead of W. I've already racked up 10k on it and it's been marvelous!

Choddaboy

TDI
Picked up the car today. What a beauty.

Had a serious hang over, wrong size winter tires pre purchased from kijiji, and only 2 hours to find ones that could fit on a tight budget.

Made it all work out! Tomorrow I leave for Terrace Bay. Not sure where ill be staying :p plan is to be at a cool Farm BNB on Monday night in Winnipeg then a friend's place in Calgary for Tuesday night.

Let's see how this goes!

Choddaboy

TDI
What did you pay? Curious to see what the comparison is to what I paid...

2014 CPO Golf Wagon, TDI, Highline, manual, w/60k km - $22,000. Came with a full set of winters, monster mats and cargo liner plus they paid for my flight to the lower mainland.

Hey, I paid around 20k. Still need mats, winters, etc. Sounds comparable. Very nice they paid your flight!

Choddaboy

TDI
Arrived in Wawa last night. Wish I could easily post pics for everyone. I'll save them for the end and post, too busy.

Almost hit a moose last night. Bloody things are terrifying.

Off to Winnipeg! In a snow storm!

Choddaboy

TDI
Good luck and safe travels! Keep us updated!
What a ride over the last couple days. Just got to Calgary

So far almost hit a wolf, deer, moose, trucks, etc.

Counted 5 cars/ trailers in ditches and one car flipped over. Serious white outs along the way. Scared the heck out of my friend when I yelped as the eyes of a wolf stood staring at me in the dark as I drove passed it going 100kmh

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey, I paid around 20k. Still need mats, winters, etc. Sounds comparable. Very nice they paid your flight!

Drive safe that Polar blast across the prairies is terrifying. Cold AF here, we need more snow to ski though!

Choddaboy

TDI
Drive safe that Polar blast across the prairies is terrifying. Cold AF here, we need more snow to ski though!
Thanks! It was a crazy drive. Passed the train derailment in Field BC yesterday morning.

Also played chicken with a ram. (I won)

Thoughts from the drive:

1. needs a tune immediately
2. need coilovers
3. need new speakers

I have a car audio business on the side so speakers wont be a problem. Does anyone have suggestions regarding a tune? I'll also go through the forums to see what people are doing.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
If you buy the flashloader you can revert the tune to stock before going in for service, if I understand things correctly.

What are your audio upgrade plans?

delormea397

TDI
2012 Golf Wagon
I have read that they can check your ecu to see if it's been flashed back. There's some sort of counter in the software, which would tell them if it's been reflashed outside of the factory or dealer stock flashes. I don't fully understand it. It can be up to the dealer on whether they will deny a warranty claim due to a reflashed ECU. Either way, with the problems these cars are known to have I decided I wanted my warranty and didn't want to risk it. My dealer doesn't seem particularly tune-friendly.
Curious to see what the OP does.

Choddaboy

TDI
If you buy the flashloader you can revert the tune to stock before going in for service, if I understand things correctly.

What are your audio upgrade plans?
Likely putting in a decent double din, 3-way Focal's (maybe k line) run active off a 6 channel focal amp and a simple Audison Apbx10as active subwoofer.

I run a business called "JJaudio" out of vancouver. Audio is my thing :p

Choddaboy

TDI
I have read that they can check your ecu to see if it's been flashed back. There's some sort of counter in the software, which would tell them if it's been reflashed outside of the factory or dealer stock flashes. I don't fully understand it. It can be up to the dealer on whether they will deny a warranty claim due to a reflashed ECU. Either way, with the problems these cars are known to have I decided I wanted my warranty and didn't want to risk it. My dealer doesn't seem particularly tune-friendly.
Curious to see what the OP does.
Dang, that's sobering. OP feels like he has some decisions to make and priorities to get in order.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
There is a reflash counter stored in the ECU but it doesn't indicate where the tune came from/who did it. Just the number.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
Likely putting in a decent double din, 3-way Focal's (maybe k line) run active off a 6 channel focal amp and a simple Audison Apbx10as active subwoofer.
I run a business called "JJaudio" out of vancouver. Audio is my thing :p
That's a nice bit of kit.

Now... what about us mere mortals working on a budget? How do the PC line by Focal stack up compared to similarly priced drivers? I bought some for my Cq but haven't installed them yet. Was thinking similar for the GSW as a basic fidelity upgrade (which won't take much lol).

delormea397

TDI
2012 Golf Wagon
I thought the reflash counter would flag your ECU if it didn't match the reflash count that VW has stored for your VIN. So, in effect, they can tell if they did the flash or if it was done elsewhere?
I thought I read something to that effect on this forum or another when I was researching a tune myself. Hopefully someone can correct me on that as I may well be wrong. I did call some dealers for malone and Kerma and ask them specifically about their warranty experiences. They said they couldn't guarantee anything, and a malone dealer said they can reflash the stock tune prior to taking it in for warranty work if needed, for a small cost.

I'd love a tune, but I also need my warranty. Warranty just saved me $600 for an EGT sensor replacement, or a few hours in my cold garage doing it myself.

Last edited:

Choddaboy

TDI
That's a nice bit of kit.
Now... what about us mere mortals working on a budget? How do the PC line by Focal stack up compared to similarly priced drivers? I bought some for my Cq but haven't installed them yet. Was thinking similar for the GSW as a basic fidelity upgrade (which won't take much lol).
I would recommend the Audison APK165's over the PC Focal's. Or, I have some really nice Hertz MPX165. 3's I could hook you up with either. The hertz are around $300 and sound very very good. The Audison are around $200 and have some nice budget friendly amps to go with them.

Choddaboy

TDI
I thought the reflash counter would flag your ECU if it didn't match the reflash count that VW has stored for your VIN. So, in effect, they can tell if they did the flash or if it was done elsewhere?
I thought I read something to that effect on this forum or another when I was researching a tune myself. Hopefully someone can correct me on that as I may well be wrong. I did call some dealers for malone and Kerma and ask them specifically about their warranty experiences. They said they couldn't guarantee anything, and a malone dealer said they can reflash the stock tune prior to taking it in for warranty work if needed, for a small cost.

I'd love a tune, but I also need my warranty. Warranty just saved me $600 for an EGT sensor replacement, or a few hours in my cold garage doing it myself.
Thanks for that, hopefully someone can share a positive experience with warranty work post tune

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
Did you guys worry about the cool warranty that was extended after the tdi fix? Keep in mind this one has 50kkm on it.

Any recommendations on people to get the Malone tune from near Vancouver?

JS Performance in Abby.

Malone also shows a few others in and around Vancity but Jose and his crew @ JSP are amazing! I have driven down from the interior for work, they're that good.