Can't get my Transmission Back On - 2006 Jetta TDI DSG dmf

ecaddy

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Need some guidance- spent all day messing with this car and now I'm ready to give up. 2006 Jetta TDI with dsg auto trans. Her's some info and pictures that might help.
This is what I wrote to Jasontdi-
Hi Jason,
I went on your website to get your info so I could bring my car to you for the dmf swap but when I saw that you were back up for the next month or so I decided to try it myself. I have done tons of work on American cars, even swapping engines and transmissions so I figured I should be able to do it. Well that was a naive assumption.

I first did the dsg service since I just bought the car and didn't know what service was done. After that I proceeded to remove the transmission, removed the old dmf, cleaned everything up, and installed the new dmf. I then, after taking all day today(the second day of this job), slowly got the transmission back in. Now for the problem.

I can not get the transmission to seat properly onto the engine. I have loosened everything several time and tried re-tightening in different methods, putting the jacks in different locations and pitches, ect...
But for the life of me I can't get it to go together that last 1/4 inch. I thought it might be the gears not lining up properly so I kept pulling the transmission back until I could take a screw driver in the starter hole and spin the flywheel and then slowly tighten everything back up. Is there a trick to getting this back together right or should it just slide back together? I can tighten one side but then I can't tighten the opposite side, I try doing it all at the same rate but it still comes down to one side being like an 1/8" away and the opposite side 1/4" away and then nothing. If I try and force it stuff will crack.

If you weren't backed up I would just have the car towed to you so you could finish everything up, shouldn't take more than an hour for someone who's knows these cars. What should I try next? DO you think the flywheel or gears are screwed up some how? I took a couple of pictures and will attach them. Any help would be appreciated. Next time I will wait until you are available and just rent a car or something, this has been a nightmare!

Last edited:

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
It's definitley the right clutch kit and flywheel? They're exactly the same size as the one that came out? The clutch plate is lined up correctly and the right way round?
That's all I can think of, it does sound like the box needs to come back out to see what's actually going wrong.
In my experience with clutches as I'm sure yours too is the box tends to just slip right into place when it's lined up so something must be going wrong in there. Personally I think that's what I'd do in that position.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Seat, it's a DSG.
Caddy, you located in Chicagoland? If so I'm willing to lend a pair of hands. Just did mine a few months back.
I doubt the shaft is the culprit if you're only dealing with the last quarter inch.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Yeh but I thought the DSG still used a clutch and DMF but it was just done automatically instead of pressing the pedal?

Jnitrofish

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5, 2005.5, and 2006. 5m, 5m, and DSG.
It does, but not like you are thinking. The transmission input shaft inserts directly into the DMF, and the clutch pack is inside the transmission.

ecaddy

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I'm over by Fox Lake IL. I am going to back it all out now, Jasontdi told me that some have to line up just right to go in. I'm going to back it off and then turn the flywheel with a flat head until something falls into place. That is the hope anyway.

ecaddy

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Seat, it's a DSG.
Caddy, you located in Chicagoland? If so I'm willing to lend a pair of hands. Just did mine a few months back.
I doubt the shaft is the culprit if you're only dealing with the last quarter inch.
I'm just down the road from Round Lake. If your not busy today you should stop by, a different set of eyes on this might make a difference.

ecaddy

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
If the flywheel didn't mesh properly and you torqued the bolt to yield, you may want to replace them again.

I'm going to pull it now to check it out, if anything is messed up I will definately fix it before putting back together, I also want to see the guide gear or grove that Jason was talking about.

ecaddy

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
THank God and JasonTDI

After several hours of suffering and prayer I was finally able to get the transmission back on. If anyone does this on there own and runs into this problem you need to back the transmission off, many times if necessary, turn the engine with a 19mm 12star on the harmonic balancer and try reseating. You turn the engine clockwise.

If this doesn't work then you will have to line everything up by eye so the gap is even all around the trans, then hand tighten the 4 large guide bolts, turn engine one rotation, if no seat, then gently close the gap a little with a small wrench on those 4 main bolts, turn again one rotation, and so on.

I was to the point of giving up so I figured screw it, I tried one last time and when I was tightening some more I heard that lovely pop sound and in it went.

Thanks to you all who are good hearted enough to share some time and experience, it is appreciated and you are definitely paying it forward! Good things are coming your way.