Replaced Everything Still Long Starts!! Help Please!!!

atrussell129

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI BEW
I just ordered the one way fuel valve, does anyone have a link to the do a compression test on these, I tried doing a search and came up with nothing.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I do not have this issue unless the car sits for about 5 or more hours. I am all out of ideas with what could be the issue.
That's about how long it takes for an engine to completely cool.
Do any of these sensors mentioned only malfunction when the engine is cold?
Internet simplified diagnosis-
Loss of prime.
Over advanced timing.
One of the various temperature sensors is reading hot when cold.

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I just ordered the one way fuel valve, does anyone have a link to the do a compression test on these, I tried doing a search and came up with nothing.

IIRC, unhook your injector harness. Pull your glowplugs. Loop the fuel supply hose back to the thermo-tee. Some folks add a battery charger, I did it without (new battery). Hook up the tester, and go through each cylinder. I went through each one twice, just too make sure I was getting good numbers.

The compression was higher than the "new" spec from VW. That said I was using a Harbor Freight tester, so I don't know how accurate the numbers were, but the important thing is (besides decent compression numbers) is that all of the cylinders are close to each other.:)

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Warm will give you the most accurate reading but cold will show any major abnormalities. That said, I like boobs idea about the temp sensor. Disconnect it and see how it starts.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Warm will give you the most accurate reading but cold will show any major abnormalities. That said, I like boobs idea about the temp sensor. Disconnect it and see how it starts.
Sorry Bob. I was eating and didn't notice my typo.:eek:

Yes. See if it still has the long cranks. Probably not it, but cheap, easy and quick.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Not a problem. The OP says (s)he replaced coolant temperature sensor (does this model have 2?).
Might want to look over some wiring. The small wires on our cars are really small, easy to lose a bit of section disturbing signal. (Happened to me with one of the small wires from the IP, major headache finding it)

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
I'm going to be be adjusting the torsion on my car coming up and it says in the INSTRUCTIONSto find TDC and I was wondering how one would go about doing that?

TIA:)

Ash03

TDI
Vw Polo 1.9TDI 96kw
Ita quite clear how to find tdc in the instructions link. I dont mean to sound rude but What dont u understand in there?

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
Ita quite clear how to find tdc in the instructions link. I dont mean to sound rude but What dont u understand in there?

Apparently it isn't clear to me or I wouldn't have asked. ;) "First thing to do is double check the mechanical timing is spot on by rotating engine by hand and locking it at TDC with the correct tools."

Stating to use the correct tools doesn't help at all. What are the correct tools for a PD(BEW)? Are they timing belt tools? Are they specialty tools for adjusting the timing? Get the picture now. :p

So yes, I need a better explanation on how to find TDC on my PD100. :D

Ash03

TDI
Vw Polo 1.9TDI 96kw
Yes theu are special tools that are used to LOCK the camshaft pulley and the crank sprocket. U will either have to buy or rent a kit.

The "gear" type which locks the crankshaft and the "sliding pin with a black ball on it" locks the cam shaft.
There are 2 types of gear locking tools, 1 is for a "round cut gear" and 1 is for a "square cut gear" and they both are noticeably different.

To lock the crankshaft, the little notch on the crank sprocket needs to kind of be at the 11-o-clock position, then the locking tool should slide into the sprocket and the little pin behind the tool should slide into the aluminium housing thats bolted onto the engine block.
The arrow on the locking tool MUST line up with the notch on the crank sprocket.

The cam pulley, should have the "window" round about the 12-o-clock pistion.

However, the belt stretches and the timing would not be 100% to allow the crank and cam to be at the same position anymore. So u would loosen up the 3 x 13mm bolts and probably play around with the 18mm bolt until the cam locking pin slides in through the pulley and into the cylinder head.

Hope that is simpler to understand and that it helps.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Also, you can loosen the 3 - 13mm bolts on the front of the pump to adjust the pump timing. They should be loose when you lock the pump.

Do not loosen the 18mm bolt in the center of the pump. If you do it's more involved to get the hub back to the place it must be.