New Member, '02 ALH Jetta Auto, knock at idle?

speedfreeq

TDI
02 Jetta ALH/01M, 123k
Hey all, new to the TDI community with the aforementioned Jetta. Car has only 123k, excellent condition throughout, regular service history at the VW dealer in Huntsville AL for the last 80k miles.
It has the auto trans, and seems to be operating correctly. I have a knock, however, that seems to originate from the bellhousing area. I crawled underneath it (up on stands) and listened, even used the old ear-to- screwdriver handle trick with little luck. I looked up through the tiny inspection ports to see if the TC nuts had come loose; the ones I could see/ touch were not.
It only has the knock at idle, but in all gears & in park/ neutral. Once it's throttled off idle, it's as quiet as I'd expect a little diesel to be.
If it were a gas engine, I'd say it sounds like a rod knock/ spun rod bearing. The fact that it's only present at idle makes me think different. That and the source doesn't seem to be in the bottom end... is there anybody that has experienced this? Is it normal? It doesn't sound like a "diesel noise." My other cars are a 7.3L Powerstroke and a Benz 300TD, so I'm familiar with those. Hoping to catch it before it costs a bunch of dollars.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk