05 Bew stick trans to an 04 Bew auto

Schoust

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta Alh 5spd
Ok so we are looking at an 04 Bew Jetta with a bad auto gear box We have a doner stick 5spd that came from a totaled Bew Wagon. Will this swap work and what is involved? I'm trying to get my son back in a tdi for a reasonable amount of dough and effort.
Thanks

rrgrassi

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI 5 speed
IF they are both Jettas, you are ahead, and you will have a complete doner car! The parts should swap in. You may need to swap out the computer, but since I have now done that swap. I cannot say for sure. Also not sure about the speedometer or guage cluster.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Ok so we are looking at an 04 Bew Jetta with a bad auto gear box We have a doner stick 5spd that came from a totaled Bew Wagon. Will this swap work and what is involved? I'm trying to get my son back in a tdi for a reasonable amount of dough and effort.
Thanks
What is the problem with the BEW auto gearbox? Only shifts when fully warm?

Schoust

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta Alh 5spd
The 05 is a Jetta Wagon it has the doner stick,the 04 is a Jetta with the automatic.
As far as the auto goes not sure what is happening with it the seller says it has a bad trans. The kid wants a stick and to be honest I don't blame him I like the stick trans myself...
Mechanicly speaking are these parts the same? What would I have to do electronicly?
Is it simply a matter of tying in the some things such as the reverse lights and clutch lock out??

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
You should have every piece needed to do the swap between the 2 cars.
Auto trans controller will be deleted so you should have the wire harnesses and all.
I'm thinking one of the controllers will have a setting if the car is auto or stick.
Not sure about the dash and/or cluster.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Better to keep your existing cluster and code it to manual in Vag-Com. Otherwise you will have immobolizer issues. The hardest thing will be to code the cruise control to the manual car, otherwise you have everything you need for a very straightforward swap. Plan on at least 20 or so hours of labor if you're doing it for the first time. I have a parts list and a howto I can send you if you send me an email.
-BB