Chris Farnham (3193) passes away, 3/8/15

eurostile

TDI
2013 Golf tdi
Think about him a lot, he was a great guy! Saved me a lot of money and searched high and low for the exact tdi that I wanted. You guys remember the pretzels he was always giving to his purchasers.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Think about him a lot, he was a great guy! Saved me a lot of money and searched high and low for the exact tdi that I wanted. You guys remember the pretzels he was always giving to his purchasers.
I was probably the last one here to get Pretzels before his untimely Passing.... he also included an Orange Crème Soda......:(

TDI_Rocks

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Jetta TDI Cup Car Laser Blue
yeah i was so tired from driving thru storms from CT once i got there he gave us the pretzels and some drinks ...it meant more than he knew :)

feverwilly

Veteran Member
I just saw this.. Chris sold me my soon to be bought back TDI Jetta Cup edition. He picked me up at the train station. We had issues with the cars Bluetooth (Still do) he worked with a local dealer to get it fixed, got hockey and basketball tickets as compensation and it's been a pretty reliable car. Sad to hear he died although I only met him once he opened his heart to me told me about his addictive personality and how he fought everyday to overcome. I remember a local dealer here in Maryland telling me he couldn't get any TDIs but Chris managed to always get some.. He will sorely be missed..

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
NOPE.....:(
but at this point who wants to buy a VW?
I think that even if I knew what I know now back in early 2014 when I bought my car used I think I would have either still bought it or picked the GTI instead.

Why? No other car company comes close to the overall package as my Golf.

My sentiment may be different however if my car was problem ridden...

Only two minor things went wrong with my car in the 2 1/2 years I've owned it.
-rear window washer hose broke in the little accordion between the car ans the hatch.
-yesterday morning my battery gave up the ghost right before I was to leave my house for a job interview. (GREAT timing! :eek::mad:) On the plus side I was able to borrow a family member's car for the trip. Replaced the battery and all is good now.

djjd

TDI
my friends own/I hope to do so
Dang, it's been awhile since I've been here.... & just found out that Chris had passed away. I, too, bought my '09 Jetta tdi from him. What a great guy! He is missed!! R.I.P.

gregert12

Veteran Member
TDI
Chris was a great man. He raised the bar and no other dealer reps can reach his level of caring, understanding and knowledge. Today I logged in to reach out to him regarding an extended warranty policy.

sigh,

You will be missed.

dcorlieu

TDI
2013 Golf TDI
Memories/Condolences

Oddly, Chris crossed my mind today remembering what a great car he sold me back in 2012 (Golf TDI w/ Tech package.) I really loved that car (unfortunately crashed it two years later.)

I was wondering how the VW scandal was affecting Chris and looked up his name only to stumble across this thread and the very depressing news. So, I feel compelled to add my name to the list of people who found him to be an utterly delightful, honest, hard-working and genuine person and who is sorry he is no longer in the world.

Chris, wherever you are, I hope you're well and happy. You were one-of-a-kind.
:)

csv

TDI
97 passatt tdi 2010 jetta tdi
Chris farnham

Chris was great...........never worked with a guy as smoothly as him....talked with him and emailed ......then drove out with a great deal from 400 miles away.............don't think there are many more VW folks like him.............he was good...........VW lost a lot when he passed........

Jettawolfs98

Veteran Member
TDI
JETTA TDI 2009, JSW 2013 DSG PANO
My wife told me the other day, I'm sure Chris will helped a lot of people to get a new car. Sadly we never meet him, but we exchanged a few messages just to check how things were going.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Two years already. Time flies. I'm glad he didn't have to see the unfolding of Dieselgate, as that probably would have crushed his spirit.

mrctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf and 2013 Passat
Two years already. Time flies. I'm glad he didn't have to see the unfolding of Dieselgate, as that probably would have crushed his spirit.
Very true all the way around. Most defiantly the best salesman I ever worked with.

RIP my friend...

layer8

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup
Very sorry to hear about Chris!
1st reached out to him in early 2010 after reading about the TDI Cup Edition. A few other VW dealerships in NJ didn't even put in an effort to locate one, even though I've purchased multiple cars through 1 of them.

He didn't have what I wanted in stock but was able to get me exactly what I wanted. It took almost 2 months but I didn't mind the wait.
Most of our interactions were done via email and phone calls. When I took the drive to get the car, Chris was most knowledgeable and pleasant to deal with.
I remember spending some time talking to him and even kept in touch with him for a wile after I purchased my car.

I just happened to be considering one of these 2015 TDI's as my Cup Edition is going back next month.

RIP Chris, you'll be missed!

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Unbelievable......but 3 years ago today TDI Club lost one of it's greatest supporters!
I will never forget Chris Farnham!! and will miss him always....have purchased several cars Not TDI's since his passing and every deal sucked!! RIP my friend!

TDI_Rocks

Veteran Member
TDI
Unbelievable......but 3 years ago today TDI Club lost one of it's greatest supporters!
I will never forget Chris Farnham!! and will miss him always....have purchased several cars Not TDI's since his passing and every deal sucked!! RIP my friend!
true dat! RIP!

mishkaya

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
'06 Jetta 5MT, '10 JSW MT, '14 JSW 6MT
I was just thinking about him today as well, RIP Chris.

quadrun1

Veteran Member
TDI
past: 2013 Passat TDI SE 6M, 2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Just happened to stumble upon some old bookmarks and found one of his posts, and his user name said "R.I.P." -- then found this post.

Chris was a great guy, bought my 2013 Passat TDI 6-speed from him. Always thought I'd buy future TDIs from him but alas, both Chris and new TDIs are no more.

Right after I bought my Passat, I sent a co-worker to him to buy a new Touareg -- no one could even come close to his deal... wonderful VW salesman, no nonsense!

Thanks for the sweet deal on my Passat, Chris. And thanks for the Philly Pretzels!

Hope you're experiencing Fahrvergnügen up there ...

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I just cannot believe it has been 4 years...l still have one of the last TDI’s he sold before passing....he delivered her to me about 30 days before he went to Heaven to sell cars.....I guess that Diesel gate would have had hurt him bad...
I know he is in a better place but I think of him all the time....

Best in show last 2 TDI Fests!

Last edited:

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
I just cannot believe it has been 4 years...l still have one of the last TDI’s he sold before passing....he delivered her to me about 30 days before he went to Heaven to sell cars.....I guess that Diesel gate would have had hurt him bad...
I know he is in a better place but I think of him all the time....

Best in show last 2 TDI Fests!

I hope you keep this one a long time!

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I cannot believe he has now been gone 5 years.......I have now purchased 3 cars since his untimely Passing Still have the last one he sold me!!! All 3 purchases truly sucked....
Chris made a Car sale truly a nice ime! RIP

TDI_Rocks

Veteran Member
TDI
I cannot believe he has now been gone 5 years.......I have now purchased 3 cars since his untimely Passing Still have the last one he sold me!!! All 3 purchases truly sucked....
Chris made a Car sale truly a nice ime! RIP
Totally with you brother, he was one of a kind! I went back to Langhorne couple years ago, found a car i wanted, and dealt with a woman, she ended up selling the car from under me....typical.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Holy smokes how time passes. Rest in peace sweet prince. Looking back I had my mk3 for only 3 years when I heard the news.

berks_tom

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Not all of us knew Chris as well as some, but all of us who bought a car from him can say it was the smoothest and most enjoyable new car purchase that we ever made. I bought my first TDI from Chris in 2006, after a coworker described the great experience he had buying a TDI from Chris.

From what I have experienced myself and heard from everyone on here, Chris treated every sale as though he were dealing with a friend.

Rest in peace.

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
Never got to meet Chris but have read nothing but wonderful things from those who dealt with him. Glad he continues to be remembered as a class act. RIP!