Positive dealer experience with major water leak

Keli_OR

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 black Sportwagen SE, '01 silver Jetta GLS, '00 green Beetle
Ran the GSW through the carwash and watched in horror in the rearview mirror as water poured in through the hatchback/window.
Took it in to the dealer I purchased it from and told them I thought it was a window seal because the hatch seal looked intact and oh by the way the trim around the gearshift is sharp as a razor can you look at that too?
An hour later they tell me they have ordered a new hatch seal, the hatch needs to be adjusted, they ordered a new trim piece and we have a loaner car set up for you for the next 5 days. And it's all covered under warranty.
I asked if I could have an R32 but they politely declined and set me up with a Jetta instead.
Picked the car up yesterday and not only did the seal need to be replaced, but with further testing they found part of the body seam had failed and was allowing water to seep in so that was also fixed. And there was a small pond in the spare tire well that was cleaned out and dried.
The best dealership experience I have ever had, from the service advisor to the mechanics.
I highly recommend Armstrong VW.

Keli_OR

Veteran Member
TDI
It's always interesting when you purchase a used car.
Turns you into a mechanical detective sometimes.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
btw I'd be impressed if they even had an R32 on the lot as they stopped making them in what 2008/2009?

An Golf R would be what you'd be after, and yeah it'd be a step or two up over the 1.4t Jetta they prob gave you (even though I was impressed when I drove the 1.4t jetta when i had it for a loaner, 44mpg over 200 miles, hand calculated, beating on it pretty good).

As for the body seam, was is the angle seals/body seam at the top corner of the hatch? I've heard there has been issues with that area.

Last edited:

Keli_OR

Veteran Member
TDI
Yep it was the top right corner above the hatch.
I guess I'm just old school, I didn't know the current nomenclature for the "R Series".
The service advisor got a giggle out of a 50-something broad asking about it though... :)

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
btw all you need to do is walk over to the sales department say you are thinking of trading in your car and want to test drive a new R, they may force you to put a refundable deposit down on one but I'm sure it'd be worth the grin, and who knows you may convert to the dark side.

Discovery

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 SportWagen
btw all you need to do is walk over to the sales department say you are thinking of trading in your car and want to test drive a new R, they may force you to put a refundable deposit down on one but I'm sure it'd be worth the grin, and who knows you may convert to the dark side.
I thought that we were the dark side...