2microntech - Helping to Keep Your Common Rail VW Alive!!

hotpocketdeath

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I'll definitely put in an order for one of these at some point. Just want to let others try em out for a bit before I order it.

For payment methods, do you accept Amazon Payments? I much prefer to use Amazon over Paypal.

2micron

Vendor
TDI
None
so it looks like to change the normal factory filter you would have to disconnect the hard line over to the filter mount with the gauge on it?

looks like a nice kit Andrew. I might have to get one of these to put on the shelf so I have one to offer to my occasional CR customers.

I know I would own one of these if I had a CR TDI myself.
Hey Growler, Yes, you will have to disconnect the hard line to replace the factory filter.
It uses a really handy industrial Stainless Swagelok type fitting. These fittings can be used many times, over and over when retightened properly.
Here is a close up of the fitting:
Great observation, keep the questions coming!!!
All the best!!
Andrew

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
thanks for the reply. are they metric hexes? or am I going to have to start keeping some of those english wrenches in my box.. might have to keep them segregated so they dont intermix and start having whitworths or something... lol

I would want to etch the 2microntech.com logo on the Pureflow adapter on the HPFP as well, not just the manifold/bracket part.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
.. are they metric hexes? or am I going to have to start keeping some of those english wrenches in my box.. might have to keep them segregated so they dont intermix and start having whitworths or something... lol
The Swagelok fittings are 11/16" (unfortunately about 17.5mm). The stainless bolts that hold the banjo fittings are 3/4" (19mm will work). The hex wrench to mount the contain flow bracket is 5/16" (an 8mm will work). A few inch tools are required. Most of these fittings are "standard" American fittings and therefore not metric.

Have Fun!

Don

2micron

Vendor
TDI
None
thanks for the reply. are they metric hexes? or am I going to have to start keeping some of those english wrenches in my box.. might have to keep them segregated so they dont intermix and start having whitworths or something... lol

I would want to etch the 2microntech.com logo on the Pureflow adapter on the HPFP as well, not just the manifold/bracket part.
There is a mixture of standard, metric and 2 Torx bits required to perform the install. All very common tools. I've been working with a few of our members to help with the install and have recieved great suggestions to refine the installation instructions. I'll certainly share the instructions with everyone, as soon as someone in LasVegas does the install!!!
Thanks for the comments and support!!

I'll definitely put in an order for one of these at some point. Just want to let others try em out for a bit before I order it.

For payment methods, do you accept Amazon Payments? I much prefer to use Amazon over Paypal.
Sure thing, we can work out the payment method(s).PM sent!!
Thanks,All the best,
Andrew

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
...as soon as someone in LasVegas does the install!!!
Come on Don, install it :D. LOL
Aw, come on guys. I can't install it until FedEx delivers it. It is supposed to be delivered on Thursday and I hope to install it on Saturday. If anybody knows how to speed up a FedEx ground truck, feel free to do your best. All FedEx will tell me is that it left a FedEx sorting facility in Grove City, OH on Saturday morning (at least it made it through customs).

Have fun!

Don

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
How does the pure flow stop the debris? Is it something I'm missing? I don't see a filter.
In the stock HPFP setup, fuel for the high pressure side of the pump comes from the low pressure side of the pump. It is the low pressure side of the pump that tends to "self-destruct" sending bits of metal throughout the entire fuel system, including the high pressure side (fuel rail and injectors). What the pure flow system does is to separate these two systems and give the high pressure side of the pump a source of clean, filtered fuel. If/when the HPFP fails, the shrapnel from the pump cannot get into the high pressure side of the pump, so it cannot contaminate the fuel rail and injectors. Then, the contain flow system (return filter) prevents any of this shrapnel from contaminating the fuel tank and fuel lines.

If this system works as designed, an HPFP failure's damage will be limited to the HPFP itself, some fuel filters and a few feet of fuel line. Everything else (tank, fuel lines, lift pump, Aux pump, fuel rail, Injectors, pressure sensors, etc.) should be saved from damage. This should drastically reduce the cost of repair.

These two systems work together. The Pure Flow system protects the high pressure side of the fuel system and the Contain Flow system protects the rest of the fuel system. To completely protect your fuel system, you would have to install both systems.

Have Fun!

Don

My Dixie Wrecked

TDI
None -- BMW convert.
I am starting to get giddy to see this project come to realization! Well done!

Can't wait to buy both the Contain Flow and Pure Flow kits for my CR TDI!

drklawz

TDI
2002 Golf HB, 4dr
keeping an eye on the intercooler drain!

subscribe to keep an eye on the intercooler drain! nice R&D

Gigitt

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Mk5 Jetta 125TDI, 1996 Mk3 Golf TDI
Hey Growler, Yes, you will have to disconnect the hard line to replace the factory filter.
It uses a really handy industrial Stainless Swagelok type fitting. These fittings can be used many times, over and over when retightened properly.
Here is a close up of the fitting:
Great observation, keep the questions coming!!!
All the best!!
Andrew
Why not move the hard line fitting from 2 o'clock further around like to 3 or 4 o'clock position and lengthen the hose that little extra... then the hard line will clear the main filter

Andrew, will the HPFP Pure Flow kit fit a CEGA engine code from a 2010 built/2011 Mk5 Jetta 125TDI (125 kW / 170 HP) engine?
It's a Euro spec engine we get here in Australia on high spec model VW's

Also what is preferred filter: the 1 or 2 micron? How long should each filter last (km's/time) ? Reason is we would probably not have them available here in Australia, so I would have to order a few. (but i have emailed hl-ltd distributor of CimTek)

PM inbound

Last edited:

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
FYI,

The Audi A3 TDI with the Common rail engine uses a smaller diameter fuel filter than the Golf/Jetta. Not sure about the Passat as I haven't had to change one of those yet.

you might want to try to get ahold of one of these filter canisters and see what is needed to adapt your current clamp to fit onto this smaller diameter.

Good luck, it sounds like you have quite a nice following.

2micron

Vendor
TDI
None
Why not move the hard line fitting from 2 o'clock further around like to 3 or 4 o'clock position and lengthen the hose that little extra... then the hard line will clear the main filter

Andrew, will the HPFP Pure Flow kit fit a CEGA engine code from a 2010 built/2011 Mk5 Jetta 125TDI (125 kW / 170 HP) engine?
It's a Euro spec engine we get here in Australia on high spec model VW's

Also what is preferred filter: the 1 or 2 micron? How long should they each filter last (km's/time) ? Reason is we would probably not have then available here in Australia, so I would have to order a few.

PM inbound
Wow!! Hello Australia, thanks for chiming in!!! One of the reasons for the placement of the Stainless 90 degree fitting is simply to access the spin on filter. If it were to be rotated, the filter would be impossible to remove. Ideally, the top would be best, but the hood gas strut (MK5 and Golf platforms) lays right beside the Guage, centered on the new mount.
Here's the filter being removed, installed:
Please share a couple pictures of your CEGA engines' HPFP and the filter canister. A couple of close ups and part numbers if possible.
Which fuel filter does your car use? Very interesting, we would all enjoy seeing pictures of another version of the engine family!!!
The filter is to be changed when the Guage indicator is approaching the 25 psi differential pressure reading. This is expected to last at least 2 times the North American 20k mile interval. This filter is performing a very easy task, removing the remainder of the particles left over from the 3-5 micron nominally rated factory filter. This is another benefit to adding the filter, as it acts as secondary filtration for your fuel.
1or 2 Micron rating level is a personal choice. The 1 micron filter will flow up to 25 gpm (US gallons per minute!!) Way beyond our requirements!!The price of the filters may also be a choice, $25 for the 1 micron, $12 for the 2 micron.
Personally, I prefer the 1 Micron filter and have had no issues during testing. These are very common filters from the Petroleum industry. These are used in refineries and on Fuel dispensing pumps on the street. The 1 micron filter (70025) is used on applications with High Bio content, as pitched by the Manufactur, CimTek.
Thanks for looking, the suggestions and all the best to Australia!!
PM outgoing to discuss shipping.
Andrew

2micron

Vendor
TDI
None
FYI,

The Audi A3 TDI with the Common rail engine uses a smaller diameter fuel filter than the Golf/Jetta. Not sure about the Passat as I haven't had to change one of those yet.

you might want to try to get ahold of one of these filter canisters and see what is needed to adapt your current clamp to fit onto this smaller diameter.

Good luck, it sounds like you have quite a nice following.
Great info Aaron, thanks!! I've measured the Passat canister and it is a few millimeters smaller in diameter than the Jetta / Golf canister. The Passat Filter mount is simply machined to suit. The line routing is slightly different, but very similar.
One of our members had offered to be the first very tester and is being very patient!!!
The Audi A3 canister will need to be measured and studied in the future.
Thanks!
Andrew

Gigitt

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Mk5 Jetta 125TDI, 1996 Mk3 Golf TDI
Wow!! Hello Australia, thanks for chiming in!!! One of the reasons for the placement of the Stainless 90 degree fitting is simply to access the spin on filter. If it were to be rotated, the filter would be impossible to remove. Ideally, the top would be best, but the hood gas strut (MK5 and Golf platforms) lays right beside the Guage, centered on the new mount.
Here's the filter being removed, installed:
Please share a couple pictures of your CEGA engines' HPFP and the filter canister. A couple of close ups and part numbers if possible.
Which fuel filter does your car use? Very interesting, we would all enjoy seeing pictures of another version of the engine family!!!
The filter is to be changed when the Guage indicator is approaching the 25 psi differential pressure reading. This is expected to last at least 2 times the North American 20k mile interval. This filter is performing a very easy task, removing the remainder of the particles left over from the 3-5 micron nominally rated factory filter. This is another benefit to adding the filter, as it acts as secondary filtration for your fuel.
1or 2 Micron rating level is a personal choice. The 1 micron filter will flow up to 25 gpm (US gallons per minute!!) Way beyond our requirements!!The price of the filters may also be a choice, $25 for the 1 micron, $12 for the 2 micron.
Personally, I prefer the 1 Micron filter and have had no issues during testing. These are very common filters from the Petroleum industry. These are used in refineries and on Fuel dispensing pumps on the street. The 1 micron filter (70025) is used on applications with High Bio content, as pitched by the Manufactur, CimTek.
Thanks for looking, the suggestions and all the best to Australia!!
PM outgoing to discuss shipping.
Andrew
Cheers, Andrew, I thought filter install/removal was the case.
BTW are the gauges you use liquid filled?? I just know how diesels like to vibrate things to destruction.

Will get better pics shortly when I can borrow the SLR from my sister... iPhone4s is horrible for close ups.

CEGA Engine Bay: (Provent200 installed below intake pipe above ABS pump back left corner of battery - hence those PCV hoses :) for those that notice)

Closer:

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
very interested in this.... how/where do i sign up?
2micron's online sales website is not yet ready to sell these. For now your best bet is to PM 2micron and set up a purchase. He will give you a total price and calculate shipping (depending on where you live).

Have Fun!

Don

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
This is a remarkable piece of machining and engineering. Andrew I congratulate you on a nice product that you will sell thousands per year for many years. I will order one in next month or 2 once pipeline is in gear. I really wish you the very best. Proudly Canadian made!
Claude

edandemma

TDI
09 Jetta
Instructions

There is a mixture of standard, metric and 2 Torx bits required to perform the install. All very common tools. I've been working with a few of our members to help with the install and have recieved great suggestions to refine the installation instructions. I'll certainly share the instructions with everyone, as soon as someone in LasVegas does the install!!!
Thanks for the comments and support!!

Sure thing, we can work out the payment method(s).PM sent!!
Thanks,All the best,
Andrew
I'll take pictures and write detailed instructions too. Writing instructions for A&P Mechanics is what I do for a living. :)

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Do you need to buy both kits for complete protection?

Thanks
Yes, depending a little on how you define "complete". Both systems protect the rest of the fuel system from contamination (and replacement), but they each protect a different part of the system.

The "Contain Flow" return filter protects the low pressure part of the system by blocking any debris from the HPFP from going back to the fuel tank. This should eliminate the need to replace the fuel tank, lift pump, fuel lines, stock fuel filter and the auxiliary fuel pump.

The "pure flow" HPFP modification isolates the low pressure side of the HPFP (the part that fails) from the high pressure part of the fuel system. This should eliminate the need to replace the fuel rail, the fuel pressure regulator, the injectors, and a few other miscellaneous parts.

These two systems can be installed either one at a time or both together. There is no requirement to install both. They are completely independent systems. It really depends on how much protection you want.

Have Fun!

Don

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
If I had a Common rail I would go Belt AND Suspenders...

superskid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Any word on how these kits affect warranty or are they easily removed?

Which one of these 2 kits protects from the replacement of the HPFP?

Thanks,