Buyback turn-in is now November ‘18

Tony45

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI 2-door 6MT (BB - 4/18)
Just finished talking to GM at my VW dealer and was informed that they will take turn-in for the 2.0 Liter TDI until end of November (not December anymore); the Audi side of the dealership may have a different end date. I don’t know if this is a universal practice; maybe it’s a good idea to check with your dealer every now and then if you plan on turn-in toward the end of year.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Don't trust anything a dealer tells you regarding end dates, contact the online site or the 1800 set up for the settlement for confirmation. Dealers are just a middle man between the cash the lawyers and VWoA.

Talk is cheap and dealers are known for some wild crazy stories.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
So, let me get this straight: they will tell this "-to GM at my VW dealer-" but not notify the owners of these cars, who are the ones most directly affected. Yeah, that seems reasonable. And what happens when lawyers for a couple of thousand owners who planned to turn in in December arrive waving the legal agreement?*

*Things like the dates for turn-in stem from a legally binding agreement entered into in Federal court, and ratified by a judge. VW can no more unilaterally change that agreement than they can come up with an affordable family spaceship.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Let's be clear about who is telling whom what; that is, the responses seem to be interpreting this as a statement the dealership made about VW telling them buybacks are shutting down in November. But it's also true that the dealership can just individually stop accepting buybacks after November even though VW hasn't made that policy. In that case, the statement could be completely true without any hogwash from the GM.

Tony45

Veteran Member
TDI
Let's be clear about who is telling whom what; that is, the responses seem to be interpreting this as a statement the dealership made about VW telling them buybacks are shutting down in November. But it's also true that the dealership can just individually stop accepting buybacks after November even though VW hasn't made that policy. In that case, the statement could be completely true without any hogwash from the GM.
I tend to agree with the principal here. VW dealers can decide when to stop accepting turn-in vehicles; the remaining question is whether VW AG is obligated to make turn-in convenient for the consumer. If VW reaches the target % of turn in, they may feel off the hook and start behaving accordingly! It could be, as we get closer and closer to the bitter end, things start to get helter-skelter. Tighten the seatbelts folks!

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Some posts in this thread are conflating two clearly separate things:
1. The final date for a turn-in, which is 12/31/2018, and which VW is required to comply with per legal agreement.
2. Dealers participating as "hosts" in the buyback program. Nothing in the legal agreement requires any VW dealer (which are not owned by VW, but are all independently owned and operated) to participate, or, once participating, states when or if they can end such participation.
It is not completely clear in the OP which of these things is being discussed, but my opinion is that it leans rather strongly in the direction of #2. I think anyone who believes their dealer of choice is about to pull out of the program should consider pulling the trigger ASAP and turn the car in. I have no particular dealer in mind. Will they all pull out? Will I have to drive to Herndon, VA and turn it in? We live in interesting times....

rambalu80

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 VW JSW TDI DSG
The dealership closest to where I live, stopped doing buybacks as of January 31st. So did another dealership in the Houston area. This however, does not mean that VW stopped doing buybacks as of 01/31/2018. Instead, it means I will be driving 20+ miles to turn in my car (as long as the remaining dealerships in the area continue to participate) when I could have turned it in several months early by driving 12 miles to the local dealership. Those of us who have chosen to hold out a bit longer are certainly taking the risk of not being able to turn the car into the closest or preferred dealership, but to each...his own.

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
From the 2 liter notice: "The Class Action Settlement claim program closes on December 30, 2018. You must have submitted a
complete and valid claim by September 1, 2018 to get a Buyback or an Approved Emissions
Modification plus Restitution Payment by the time the Class Action Settlement claim program ends. To
ensure that you have adequate time to schedule your Buyback or Approved Emissions Modification, do
not wait until the deadlines are fast approaching."

So there is no promise that you will be able to schedule if you try to do it very close to the deadline. Trying to wait until the last minute might be stepping over a dollar to pick up a penny.

You have been warned in the official settlement that an appointment is not guaranteed if you wait until the last moment. There is not going to be a legal out here, as one has already been given by allowing you to execute a buyback or modification now.

Tony45

Veteran Member
TDI
I’ll set my appointment in August for a turn-in in November (not December). This way if the chosen dealer decided to quit receiving cars (which they can clearly do, even after an appointment is taken), then I still have time to scramble for an alternative.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
As I happens, we will probably not wait until December to turn the car in, because things get kind of hectic for us around the holidays— so, sometime this Fall.

Flora

TDI
2015 BMW 328dxi wagon, 2010 Audi A3 TDI , 2003 VW Golf TDI
We just completed our buyback (Audi) today. The dealer closest to us stopped doing them recently so we had to drive a little further, but it wasn't a big deal.
VW recently pulled the buyback rep from that location as well, and the transaction was done over on an iPad using a Skype type program with a dealer employee facilitating the transaction. They used the iPad to take photos of the vehicle, important documents, us holding the check, etc. The dealer said they only have two buybacks scheduled all month (granted Audi has a lot less volume than VW), but that they are really slowing down. The dealer was in Raleigh, NC, so a sizable metro area.

ddorrer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Tdi, 2012 JSW Tdi DSG (Sold w/80k miles), 2010 Sportwagen TDI 6spd (Traded)
Thats funny

Thats funny, caus the phase 1 fix paperwork atates if phase 2 os not completed by a certain date, owners can still sell back their cars. I have a ‘15 GSW and have heard nada about phase 2 for a Gen 3 Tdi

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
I’ll set my appointment in August for a turn-in in November (not December). This way if the chosen dealer decided to quit receiving cars (which they can clearly do, even after an appointment is taken), then I still have time to scramble for an alternative.
I wouldn’t wait until August. I’d keep checking the portal and as soon as they open up November slots I’d be on one like a duck on a Junebug.

rambalu80

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 VW JSW TDI DSG
I wouldn’t wait until August. I’d keep checking the portal and as soon as they open up November slots I’d be on one like a duck on a Junebug.
While no one knows how availability of slots will change 5 months down the road, as of today, I am able to schedule appointments as early as 1st week of April through the last full week of July. This has been the trend since early February. If you are in a large metro area with multiple dealerships, I don't think it will be a concern to get an appointment for the last quarter of the year, as long as the dealerships are still participating.

Tony45

Veteran Member
TDI
I decided not to wait. I managed to find a real good deal on a BMW X1 and now I’m scheduled to turn-in the Golf on April 4; the first date available at my local dealer in Naples, FL. Was planning to wait till fall, but the X1 deal could not be missed. When I got the Golf back in ‘13, I was planning to keep it for ten years .... Will miss it!

Last edited:

flyerchic2000

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Nav Manual
If we have to travel a far distance due to no close buyback locations, can we submit charges for reimbursement we incur when turning in the car?

Has anyone tried to this?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Maybe but they might counter that you should have turned in sooner before they started closing down locations. Not really their fault people wait till the very end to turn in. You should check with the lawyers on this as they would be the ones to know.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
If we have to travel a far distance due to no close buyback locations, can we submit charges for reimbursement we incur when turning in the car?
Has anyone tried to this?
There is nothing in the portal for this. I only read about one case of a person from Alaska having to travel to the only VW dealer in the state. Took him months to get extra money from VW