Need DPF/EGR replaced in NH - Any Experience??

nhdude

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6M gone back to VWoA, 1996 Passat Wagon (RIP)
Looks like I have the dreaded cracked DPF on my 2011 JSW just out of warranty :-( http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=436049

So, wondering if anyone has first-hand experience with having this work done, preferably in the NH area? Or knowledge of which mechanics have good experience with this job?

Would attempt to do it myself but not certain of having enough skills to do it properly and shoulder injuries suggest lying on a concrete garage floor for several hours might not be the best idea ;-)

Thanks for any suggestions!!

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Closest guru to you is Keith Hartley KMH Motors in Lowell, MA.

nhdude

Veteran Member
TDI
Closest guru to you is Keith Hartley KMH Motors in Lowell, MA.
Thanks! I sent Keith an email and he let me know he is doing his first DPF replacement next week. Will be in touch with him again.

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
I'm a little further away on the Cape but I've done three DPF jobs so far..my technique is less invasive than the standard method..

nhdude

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks! A bit too long a drive from NH though. Less invasive? Interesting.

I'm a little further away on the Cape but I've done three DPF jobs so far..my technique is less invasive than the standard method..

nhdude

Veteran Member
TDI
Anyone have experience with Reflex Tuning in Hooksett NH? They said they've done a few DPF replacements.

Maybe I should see what the dealer says as well just for comparison?

Thanks!

brian_e

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Silver Jetta
NHdude- are you worried about inspection and readiness monitors? Curious as I'm considering/attempting to "import" a tuned JSW from out of state. BTW, don;t forget you've got HermTDI in Richmond, ME. He is a decent drive but meticulous. brian

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Anyone have experience with Reflex Tuning in Hooksett NH? They said they've done a few DPF replacements.

Maybe I should see what the dealer says as well just for comparison?

Thanks!
I've had my car there for a few things over the years. I think that I would absolutely trust them to do the job. They are very professional and all the work they've done for me has been good. But I suspect that KMH are probably significantly cheaper.

For general "VW" stuff my local mechanic Carworks in Lee Nh are fantastic. But I wouldn't go there for this job.

We've got a 2011 JSW with almost identical mileage. Is this a common repair? I wonder if it's time for us to sell ours and move to a 2015. Please let us know what you pay for this.

nhdude

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks... Herm did work on my B4V a few years back. He is on my list!

Re. inspection... I think it's always a risk. I believe you are permitted one readiness to be "off" in NH. If your tuned vehicle should ever go beyond that, you're in trouble. Not worth the risk to me as one would need to completely replace the stock pieces to pass. YMMV

NHdude- are you worried about inspection and readiness monitors? Curious as I'm considering/attempting to "import" a tuned JSW from out of state. BTW, don;t forget you've got HermTDI in Richmond, ME. He is a decent drive but meticulous. brian

nhdude

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the feedback!

I have no idea if cracked DPF is common but a perusal of the forums suggests that it does happen. You're still within emissions warranty so I'd suggest scanning it periodically for the P0401 fault and, if you get it, hit the dealer right away to document it.

I've had my car there for a few things over the years. I think that I would absolutely trust them to do the job. They are very professional and all the work they've done for me has been good. But I suspect that KMH are probably significantly cheaper.

We've got a 2011 JSW with almost identical mileage. Is this a common repair?

mainer

Veteran Member
TDI
06 jetta | 10 JSW
I've had East Coast Europeans out of Greenland do a few things for me that I couldn't do (alignments and tire mount/balance). They are very knowledgeable and I wouldn't hesitate to give them a call.

Cooper

nhdude

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks very much for that. I've heard only good things about them and they are fairly close to me. Right at the moment, however, the piggy bank is very low and I've located almost-new used parts that Reflex will not install. So, likely going to a TDi guy a bit further away to get them put in. Certainly have Reflex on my short list for any future needs!

I only trust my car with Reflex tuning, they are pricey, but best in the business.

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
I've had good and bad experiences with most of these shops mentioned in the area.

Let me put it this way, when I need my next timing belt, I don't know where I'll be getting it done.

PM me if you want a more in-depth explanation.