DPF replaced under warranty?

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
I have a question for the 2.0 owners. I can’t seem to find it answered anywhere.

In another forum for 3.0 owners a disagreement has emerged over the dieselgate extended warranty coverage for the DPF. Some insist that the coverage only extends to the DPF “breaking.” I insist that it extends to the DPF getting clogged with use and needing “replacement.”

How have your cars been handled? I am guessing this has come up for some of you.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
According to the booklet from VW, any malfunctions indicated by the OBD system, except those related to the transmission, are covered. If the DPF throws a code, that's a malfunction.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you. I was “positive” I was right but the person disagreeing with me was quite adamant (and became a little disagreeable in the process) :p

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
According to the booklet from VW, any malfunctions indicated by the OBD system, except those related to the transmission, are covered. If the DPF throws a code, that's a malfunction.
Except when they don't cover it :)

On my '15 GSW, I had an AdBlue heater fail code after the fix. Initially the dealer said that part wasn't in the warranty list, and I had to escalate with VW to get it covered. VW did cover it, but it took extra steps/time. Just because it implies coverage, doesn't mean it's in their secret book of what's really covered.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
Except when they don't cover it :)
On my '15 GSW, I had an AdBlue heater fail code after the fix. Initially the dealer said that part wasn't in the warranty list, and I had to escalate with VW to get it covered. VW did cover it, but it took extra steps/time. Just because it implies coverage, doesn't mean it's in their secret book of what's really covered.
This sounds like the typical story of the dealer’s first instinct being to talk the customer into paying for anything and everything.

Galo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta 6mt, Malone Stage I, Goals
This sounds like the typical story of the dealer’s first instinct being to talk the customer into paying for anything and everything.
^^^^^
My 2010 Jetta had the famous intake manifold flappers fail at 74,600 miles, and the dealer presented me with a quote for $937 and change.
I called VoA and spoke to a nice lady to whom I asked 'why is the dealer wanting to charge me $937 and change to replace a part that falls within the Federal 80k mile emissions warranty?'

Two hours after I hung up, she called me back to say that VW would cover the repair.

When the car was finished and I went to pick it up, my service rep said 'looks like you got some help from VoA on this one' and my response -loud enough to have two other customers hear me- was 'Yeah, and I'm more curious as to why you wanted to charge me $937 for a repair you should know is covered under warranty'

Slimes.....

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
It is almost universal that most things like this is to deny first and see if the customer pursues it further. Government benefits, insurance, car warranty, etc...

They can always change their mind if you do. If not they get over and save money and alienate customers.