I can't get more than 30 mpg

Adman

TDI
05 golf tdi
I'm new to the TDI world so could be I'm just uninformed...

Recently bought a 2005 Golf TDI GLS, manual. I have yet to do a road trip,(most of my driving is around town, but not stop and go). I've filled up (w/ biodiesel) around seven or eight times and alway get around 400 mile on a tank.

Any thoughts other than tire pressure?

Thanks.

ieracer

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
Injectors bad, intake clogged, air filter?

Adman said:

Recently bought a 2005 Golf TDI GLS, manual. I have yet to do a road trip,(most of my driving is around town, but not stop and go). I've filled up (w/ biodiesel) around seven or eight times and alway get around 400 mile on a tank.

Thanks.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Miles per tank is not a very good measure of mileage. How exactly are you measuring the mileage (US or Imp gallons?)?

30 is low, but with winter fuel, city driving and a heavy foot, it could be normal. :rolleyes:

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
and Bio diesel dosnt give a good return on mpgs in a PD. I fiiled up in Austin TX and drove back home and lost like 5 mpgs on the way back(all highway) try running regular D2 for a few tanks and see if that helps.

Eric B

HwBtThmYanks

TDI
'96 Passat TDI
Bad MPG (I think)

I own a 96 Passat TDi and only get up to 30 MPG, sometimes a little less. I understand that there can be some variability because of the whole venting thing, and the only driving I do is in the city, kind of stop and go, and I do tend to have a bit of a lead foot. With all this taken into account, is this reasonable or should I be getting higher. If this is not normal, any ideas on why would be helpful.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
HwBtThmYanks said:
.. is this reasonable or should I be getting higher. If this is not normal, any ideas on why would be helpful.
Reasonable. Don't worry, be happy! Just think of what kind of mileage you would be getting with a Hummer under the same conditions.

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
and Bio diesel dosnt give a good return on mpgs in a PD. I fiiled up in Austin TX and drove back home and lost like 5 mpgs on the way back(all highway) try running regular D2 for a few tanks and see if that helps.
My father drives a 2005.5 Jetta PD on 100% biodiesel and has never gotten below 44 MPG. He recently got 52 MPG on a trip from NC to MD by taking the slower roads.

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
MPG increase

Adman said:
I've filled up (w/ biodiesel) around seven or eight times and alway get around 400 mile on a tank.

Thanks.
Bio will give you less MPG. :( Increase tire pressure to 80% of max inflation load stated on tire. 507 oil will give you better mpg. Change oil & air filter. Do NOT use a K&N air filter or any "oiled" ai filter.:eek: Drive at 60 mph or less on interstate.:D

oEo

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf TDi PD ::Indigo Blue::
Adman said:

Thanks.
Adman, yes, as others have posted--- air filter. Also, Try and find a good fuel additive to clean the injectors. Look around at your local Walmart or Yacht stores. Look for a diesel fuel additive called StarTron. Add the entire bottle for a good cleaning and take it on some spirited drives, work the turbo.

Never check the air filter again after installing, it breaks the seal which can lead to dirty or 'fouled' MAF.

Check out the search feature for MPG. you'll get some good pointers. If you're just putting around town, you'll get lower mpgs. Try running your furthest errand first. (You should be getting more than 30.)

enjoy cleaning the turbo -- get out on that highway!

Also, how many miles are on the engine? You're probably still breaking in.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=117523&highlight=StarTron

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=464223

Last edited:

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
2004STARWARSTDI said:
.. Increase tire pressure to 80% of max inflation load stated on tire.
Just a note: Neither VW nor the tyre manufacturers recommend increasing your tyre pressure over what is recommended by VW. 80% may work out safe, but you will never know unless it turns out it was not safe. Likely it has not been tested.

I don't consider a very small mileage increase worth even a very small safety decrease.

I do agree with the other comments however, and would believe that increasing that pressure will increase the mileage.

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
Joe, the majority of TDI Club members are running about 40 PSI in their tires. This has worked out for years and I don't know of a single problem. I used to trust car companies about tire pressure... until Ford pulled that stunt with the Exploder.