Reasonable MPG?

damthrill

TDI
2002 GLS jetta
What would my reasonable MPG using the below parameters? 42 or more or less?
1)2002 jetta GLS TDI
2)Automatic
3)new tires-daytona 215/60/15 m+s
4)all tires inflated to 42 psi
5)65-70 MPH
6)Flat highway-absolutely no mountains
7) cruise activated
8)35 miles each trip
9) by the way just bought it on Saturday with 117K and new t.b. and serp. belt

Thanks,
damthrill

Mike_Van

Veteran Member
TDI
(SOLD) 2010 Golf, 2 door
Assuming the TB was properly done, 42 MPG is in the ballpark for an AUTO with wider-than-stock tires, driven mostly highway in a warm climate without using A/C. Tire-choice can have a significant impact on MPG.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
42 mpg would definitely be possible. But I'd guess that 38-40 mpg is what you're more likely to see.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
TornadoRed said:
42 mpg would definitely be possible. But I'd guess that 38-40 mpg is what you're more likely to see.

Yea, that automatic can cause quite a hit to the mileage.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
I can, on occaision, get as high as 42 MPG. Those tanks have a significant amount of highway driving. My usual is 36-38 MPG, with my normal communting.

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
If your being honest that you would set the cruise between 65 and 70 and just let it go, then 42 should defenitely be easy to obtain.

Not sure why you would want such an oddball tire size though.

damthrill

TDI
2002 GLS jetta
That is what the guy had on it when I bought it last week, he said its the widest tire he could get on it. I have now done to 11-12 gallon tanks and 90% freeway at 65-70
1st 38 mpg
2nd 37.8 mpg

switched from 76 to chevron, on tank 2. guy at store says he only gets gas station diesel 2 loaded every 3 to 4 weeks.

If I went to stock tires, do you think I could pick up 5 mpg easily?4 mpg?

2nd tank also had new air filter and pollen filter. car has 117 k miles

Thanks,
damthrill

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
damthrill said:
switched from 76 to chevron, on tank 2. guy at store says he only gets gas station diesel 2 loaded every 3 to 4 weeks.
The freshest and cleanest fuel is usually to be found at the cheapest stations near busy intersections.

If I went to stock tires, do you think I could pick up 5 mpg easily?4 mpg?
Nope. If you were switching from wide 17" tires to stock 15" tires, then maybe.

Considering the $400-600 cost of a set of tires, even if you sold your current set, you would not save enough fuel to pay for the tires.

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
Even though you only drive 10% in town it does make a difference how hard you drive in town. I drive hard and with my stick NB I average 38-40.

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
I agree with hevster1. A lot of it has to do with how you drive... city and highway. Also, everyone's idea of "city" or "highway" is a little different. Driving in Annapolis, for example, I can get pretty good fuel economy. There are relatively long roads without too many traffic lights. No stop-and-go traffic, and nice, slow speeds. I can drive around town and get 50 MPG (in a 5-speed). However, if I go up to Baltimore or DC, it is another story.

I get better mileage driving around Annapolis than I would going 70 MPH on the highway.

damthrill

TDI
2002 GLS jetta
I am definitely stuck at about 38 mpg, wife drives 3 miles to freeway, 55 miles at 65-70 mph(providing no accidents) then 3 miles off freeway. multuply by 3 every day.
God I wish Icould get 41.3 again.
changed
fuel filter
pollen filter
oil filter
air filter
cleaned snow screen, lubed override door-at least 50% plugged and noticed more power, maybe overactive imagination

damthrill

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
Depends on where you live and how you drive

I live in hilly, chilly(right now), twisty, gravelly, bumpy road Vermont. I drive a lot of short hops with minimal highway cruising. No matter how gentle I am on the stop and go pedals the best I see is maybe 37-38MPG but the good news is the worst is only about 34-35. These cars get good average mileage pretty well all the time and you just have to accept your local environment for its effect on your mileage. I suppose a 5 speed manual would help. C'est la vie.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
rough draft/tired:

Notes:
  • subtract 15% at the short trip end and 10% at the highway end for an automatic transmission.
  • subtact 5% for winter fuel penalty if you live in northern climes.
  • subtract 5% for non-LRR tires.
  • subtract 10% from short-trips for oversized wheels, 1% at the highway end.
  • subtract 3% for under-inflated tires ( < 28 psi.)
  • subtract 5% at the highway end for a New Beetle body style.
  • subtract 10% if you like to race other cars from stoplight to stoplight.
  • add 10% if you are competing in any mpg event or are a super careful driver.
  • add 5% for high cetane premium fuel.
  • add 5% at the highway end if you have a taller fifth gear mod
This chart was created from my experiences with a Mark IV Jetta and knowledge of my friend's rides.

If you have a hard time meeting something appoximating these ranges, you should look first to MAF, second to coolant thermostat, third to stuck VNT mechanism, fourth to clogged intake or snowscreen, fifth to clogged fuel or air filter.

To diagnose these:
  1. Check MAF: with fully warm engine, put car in neutral and floor accelerator. Car should easily and instantly rev to 5150 rpm's. If it won't, MAF is toast.
  2. Check thermostat: use Scangauge II device or check with pot of hot water and thermostat/thermocouple/IR gun.
  3. Check stuck VNT mechanism: attach Mityvac pump to vacuum actuator. It should move 1 inch total.
  4. Check clogged intake: detach hose from EGR assy and peer in with bright flashlight.
To hazard a guess about the Mark V platform which is 550 lbs heavier and has larger frontal area, I'd say subtract 5-10% generically.

Last edited:

David Kuhnert

TDI
2000 Jetta
2000 jetta auto 180,000 km . Best 40 mpg (us). Use cruz on trips. KVN air filter and CV200 fuel additive. I do have the air cond. on alot for the wife in summer. Run on the tire offered at the time Goodyear H speed rating. and Nokian WR , both stock rims.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
nicklockard said:
rough draft/tired:

I'm surprised no one has commented on your graphic and the accompanying notes. Perhaps it's just too much information to digest?

Chitti

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI 5M (Donated). Now, 2006 TDI DSG
damthrill said:
What would my reasonable MPG using the below parameters? 42 or more or less?
1)2002 jetta GLS TDI
2)Automatic
3)new tires-daytona 215/60/15 m+s
4)all tires inflated to 42 psi
5)65-70 MPH
6)Flat highway-absolutely no mountains
7) cruise activated
8)35 miles each trip
9) by the way just bought it on Saturday with 117K and new t.b. and serp. belt
Damthrill,

I have the same car as yours except stock tires (2002 Jetta GLS TDI Auto). My roundtrip commute is 200 miles (85% Hwy). I do a steady 65 mph (cruise control). Tire pressure 35/36 psi. In summer once I could achieve 50mpg. In winter, it is 44/45 mpg. Slow down a bit. You'd gain mpg. :)

Cheers,

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
TornadoRed said:
I'm surprised no one has commented on your graphic and the accompanying notes. Perhaps it's just too much information to digest?
I guess so, T. :cool:

Frederick King

TDI
03 golf tdi
I have a 02 auto jetta. With alot of flat highway travel and some higher speed I can get 42 mpg. I just bought it about a month ago so all the driving has been with winterized fuel. Iam pretty happy with that. I may try some mods to see if I can get it better. I know a guy who has a 02 golf 5 speed who gets 50 in the winter and 52 in the summer. I know another guy who has a 06 5speed jetts that gets 38 to 40. I knew I would pay a penalty for ythe auto but my wife refuses to learn to drive stick so I could not have a car she could not drive. It is still double the milage I was used to getting in my 99 tarus with 24 valve 3.0 v-6. My Silverado 4.8 02 gets 16.5 around town. The truck can go 400 miles on about 22 gals. My jetta just went 500 miles on 12.0 gals and cost me $41.80 to fill it up. Some of the stations in my driving area are around 3.39 a gal. Fuel was at about 3.59 in my home town. The prices are coming down a little. All in all Iam a happy tdi driver.

diesel4ever

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000, black
I'll second the Scan-Gauge idea

40X40 said:
Get a Scan-gauge II and let it teach you the way to better mileage.

http://www.scangauge.com/

Bill
This little thing is a great indicator showing you immediate effect of your driving style. By constantly observing the 'instant economy' indicator you can see how flooring the pedal is 'bad' for your final figure. This is the best 'gizmo' i ever bought.

Chitti

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI 5M (Donated). Now, 2006 TDI DSG
damthrill said:
Your stock tires are made by who?
Damthrill,

I bought it used in Feb 2006 with around 62K miles on it (now it is close to 90K). It came with Cooper Touring SLE (195/65R15).

One more thing: Last Saturday with half-a-tank, I did a round-trip to DC (320+ miles). On my way back, about a mile from home, I filled up (a little less than 13 Gallons). 612.5 miles! Sweet!! 47.3 mpg. Remember I set the cruise at 65 mph!

Cheers,

Last edited:

midntdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6SP
McBrew, what part of Naptown are you in. But I agree, its not really city driving per se.