www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Picture Gallery/Specs of Members' TDIs > Jetta/Bora/Vento TDI Picture Gallery

Jetta/Bora/Vento TDI Picture Gallery Do you have a Jetta/Bora/or Vento TDI? If so write a message here describing it and insert a picture if you have one. If you don't have one on the computer, email me and I'll give you my address and I'll scan it for you. If you need web space for it, email me as well. Please make a short yet descriptive title for your vehicle.

Old September 17th, 2017, 17:27   #31
Cptcrnch
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssaric1.9TDI View Post
What did you use for you suspension set up?
Since the car is my daily driver and commuter to work (70mi each way)an OEM-like ride feel was important to me. I also didn't need adjustable coilovers and I was looking to keep cost reasonable. I talked extensively with Mike from NGP about it and he recommended Vogtland Junior Cup kit. The ride feel over small and medium bumps feels OEM but it's definitely stiffer then stock and the body roll has been reduced significantly. So far I've been very happy with it and Mike was spot on with his recommendation.

Last edited by Cptcrnch; September 18th, 2017 at 02:26.
Cptcrnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2017, 07:00   #32
ssaric1.9TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptcrnch View Post
Since the car is my daily driver and commuter to work (70mi each way)an OEM-like ride feel was important to me. I also didn't need adjustable coilovers and I was looking to keep cost reasonable. I talked extensively with Mike from NGP about it and he recommended Vogtland Junior Cup kit. The ride feel over small and medium bumps feels OEM but it's definitely stiffer then stock and the body roll has been reduced significantly. So far I've been very happy with it and Mike was spot on with his recommendation.
Thnx for the info. I will put the Vogtland Junior Cup kit on my list (still driving on stock shocks and springs).
Old September 21st, 2017, 13:23   #33
Cptcrnch
Veteran Member

My new keys arrived from Fixmyvw.com today. Ordering was super easy (you need to include your DL and registration for proof of ownership) and I had them less then 1 week later. I rented Vagtacho to get my key code/program the immobilizer and they include a USB drive with tons of helpful documents and videos on programming both with vagtacho and VCDS. Programming the keys in vagtacho took not even five minutes with the excellent how-to's on fixmyvw.com. If you need new keys this definitely the way to go to avoid the stealership.

Last edited by Cptcrnch; September 21st, 2017 at 13:37.
Old September 29th, 2017, 10:51   #34
Cptcrnch
Veteran Member

Did a ton of work over the last 2 days (pics forthcoming) and I'm probably even forgetting some of what I did.

I did a bunch of PM fluid flushes. I bought a Motive Power Bleeder which was a great investment. The only fluids not changed where the coolant (will be when the system is replaced next spring) and transmission (new when the swap was done)

New Bosch MAF sensor

Liquimoly 5w-40 and new oil filter

Changed the fuel filter and filled the new one with Diesel Purge

cleaned out the junk behind the front fender liners and put some POR15 in there as well as replace one the liners which was blown out

Replaced the windshield cowl since the old one was warped and let water get into the ECU are and cause a long crank/hard start issue.

Installed DieselGeek Sigma5 short shifter, Full Metal Jacket, and Panzer plate - The car must have had a skid plate in the past at some point some the rivnuts were already in place which made the install much faster. The short shifter is amazing - gear changes take very little movement now and the tactile feedback is excellent. Install was super easy with the directions and I had it installed and adjusted in about 45 mins.

Last remaining projects before the winter hits is installing the 2.5" stainless steel exhaust from Kerma (was hoping it would here so I could install it before the panzer plate went on) and a machine polishing and sealing of the paint to protect it from the salt and grime of the winter.

Last edited by Cptcrnch; October 2nd, 2017 at 11:39.
Old October 2nd, 2017, 11:13   #35
Cptcrnch
Veteran Member

Lots of fluids to be replaced

Lots of parts from Kerma, Borg Warner, IDParts, and DieselGeek. I also purchased a Motive Power Bleeder which made bleeding the brakes an easy task. However the left rear caliper has a frozen bleed screw that someone in the past round off. I didn't have the time to mess with it so I bled the other calipers and will probably take a further look at it in the spring. Just flushing the other 3 corners has greatly improved brake pedal feel.

I was super happy with this box from Sonic Tools. It's actually meant for MX racers but looking at the spec it contained almost everything the shade tree VW DIYer would need and it was $1,300 less then a S8 box. It proved to be a great investment and will serve me well during future projects and maintenance.

Car up on stands and ready to go.

What came out of the front right fender liner - left side was just as bad. POR15 was painted onto the area as a preventative measure. There was very little rust.

Left side fender liner was blown out pretty good so it was replaced all together - right side will be replaced in the spring with the vented version when I replace the intake system

Windshield cowl was warped just enough to let water get down near the ECU and cause a no start/hard start after a heavy rain. New cowl seals the gap by the windshield much better. However, while trying to get the right wiper arm off I broke the arm - DOH! $45 mistake. While the cowl was off I cleaned the connections at the ECU with contact cleaner and put a small amount of dielectric grease on them as well.

Dieselgeek Sigma 5 shifter - super easy install following the directions and I love how shifts now

Since I had the car lowered slightly and it was missing the belly pan and engine bay side skirts it got the Full Metal Jacket and Panzer Plate treatment from DG as well. It must have had a plate on it in the past as the Rivnuts were already installed.

All put back together and looking good.

It's come a long way since I first got it two months ago. It was already in good shape so a little elbow grease was all it took to make it a great daily driver. My Kerma Stainless Steel 2.5" exhaust should be arriving any day and will be installed later this month along with the lower EGR pipe (replacing it will be much easier when the downpipe isn't in the way). I thought ahead and while I was under the car sprayed PB Blaster on all the exhaust bolts and broke them free (and obviously re-tightened them lol). Hopefully that will speed the removal process of the old exhaust. The paint is also getting a good polish and sealing before the winter hits. Then that's it until the spring when I plan to replace intake hoses, tubing, intercooler, and rehab the cooling system. When I switch over to my winter tires and steel wheels I'm taking the factory 15" rims to be refinished and brought back to factory condition (and getting rid of the stupid keyed lug bolt on them too).

Last edited by Cptcrnch; October 2nd, 2017 at 11:35.
Old October 4th, 2017, 16:11   #36
Cptcrnch
Veteran Member

Sitting in traffic today the brake pedal slowly fell to the floor and I began hearing a whooshing sound near the brake booster. Checkd the vacuum pipe and sure enough there the hose is cracked at the T in the middle of the hose. New one ordered from IDParts and will be installed on Friday. The crack isn't bad and I still have braking function so I can at least get it home from work.
Old October 10th, 2017, 16:27   #37
Cptcrnch
Veteran Member

Installed the new brake booster pipe today (life took over on the weekend). As I was doing some errands before installing the pipe I had to do a panic stop when a farm tractor pulled out of field in front of me. I had to hit and hold the brake pretty hard and as I did heard a pop. The brake pedal got really stiff and braking effort was greatly increased. Now when I step on the pedal I hear air moving behind the dash and brake power is no existent. So I'm guessing the brake booster was on the way out and my panic stop hastened it's death (read similar threads on here with same problem). Sadly I need to take it to the dealer as they are the only ones who can look at it tomorrow. The car is my DD and I need it to get to work on Thursday.
Old October 12th, 2017, 08:39   #38
Cptcrnch
Veteran Member

Brake booster is indeed bad. Only because the tandem pump bit the dust and puked oil into it. Not how I wanted to spend that much money but I need to be able to stop. Hopefully that's it for repairs for a while.
Old October 17th, 2017, 14:56   #39
Cptcrnch
Veteran Member

So this project is going to be on hold where it's at for a while. I was unexpectedly laid off last week. While I have options for work, it's made reprioritize getting a fully funded emergency fund for just this sort of situation. As things pop up I'm going to take care of them (battery and starter are high on the list) but performance and rehab mods are taking a back seat. Hopefully I'm back to rehabbing the car by next summer.
Old Yesterday, 17:52   #40
3L3M3NT
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear about your bad luck of getting laid off. Just as you were making some good head way on the car with the maintenance. are you still driving it? I'm going to assume you got the brake booster and tandem pump fixed before you got laid off, hopefully it'll stay running maintenance free until you can get the job situation sorted out.

Good luck and hopefully you can get back to working on the Jetta Wagon in no time