Vibration on acceleration turbo noise changed

Electrodynamic

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta/Bora TDI
Ok, here goes my attempt at trying to describe what is going on with my car. First, here is my car (click the text to see what has been done to my car).

With the exhaust system on the car I have always been able to hear the turbo sucking in air and some chuff's (or a single chuff) after I let off the accelerator. Very cool sounding and I like it. However, over the past few tanks of fuel I've noticed that the constant ccchhhhhhh noise has slowly developed a frequency to it so it sounds like ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch at about 8 cycles per second or something close to that. This week I have noticed that under acceleration the car vibrates with each chuff from the turbo noise. Each "ch" is accompanied by a vibration so when I am accelerating and hearing ch-ch-ch-ch the car will shutter, or shake, four times. If the turbo noise happens 20 times over long acceleration the car shakes 20 times.

These are not huge jerking shakes but I can feel it in the steering wheel and I can hear things in the interior shaking at the same frequency of the shaking.

I got home today thinking the worst that the VNT-17 is going bad and having oil be spat out the exhaust so I parked the car and revved it up four times by putting my foot to the floor and bringing the car up to ~3,000 RPM each time. Thankfully no oil discharge from the tail pipe.

I honestly have no idea what the problem could be. You'll have to excuse my description of the problem but the constant "wooshing" or sucking noise from the turbo is not constant anymore - it has developed a frequency to the wooshing or sucking sound and that frequency is being transmitted through the car.

So far my fuel mileage seems to be normal - this tank I'm at 400 miles halfway through the tank, which is normal so no major loss in fuel mileage.

Any thoughts or suggestions of what to check?