RR caliper, cannot find correct one even from dealer? (pics)

Dan-o

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
RR caliper is leaking on my 2010 jsw. I got one from auto zone for $65.00 got it home and noticed it was the wrong one. so i sent it back and they double checked the listing. they said it was correct. I then got one from a VW dealer. $228 but didnt come with the bracket. checked 4 diffrent dealers and they all came up with the same part number 5k0615424
They got the part number by using my full vin. However I got home and its the same caliper I had previously gotten from autozone. The inlets are diffrent and the rear bracket is missing to hold the brake hose. I tried to connect the brake line and the thread size is diffrent. Can anyone help? im supposed to leave for a trip this weekend!! Did they change the design and i need more parts to adapt?

da.hs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf, DSG, silver (from new). 2010 Audi Q7 (from 2016), 2004 Touareg V10 (from 2018)
I had similar trouble with 2010 golf - they changed the rear caliper type mid-1010 (March if I remember correctly). Could not get correct type from NAPA. A dealer should be able to get the right one though

vr6chris

TDI
'10 JSW S 2.5L 6mt
I had similar trouble with 2010 golf - they changed the rear caliper type mid-1010 (March if I remember correctly). Could not get correct type from NAPA. A dealer should be able to get the right one though
You are correct about the mid-year change. For the JSW, the production dates are up to Dec 6th 2009 for the older style and starting Dec 7th 2009 for the newer style. However, these dates are not always correct.

When looking in ETKA (the VW parts catalog), there is a pop-up when looking at either of the two listings for the rear brakes. It says:

"...before ordering components it is necessary to check if the original brake
pads are 1k0615415g: then check page 615-61. if they are 1k0615415r
then please check page 615-63."

How 4 dealers missed this is mind-boggling. Actually, it can't be missed, it must have been ignored. The notes also indicate that the older style brakes may have ended up on some June 2010 production cars.

The part number for the newer RR caliper is 5K0-615-424, the one you got. You almost certainly need 1K0-615-424-M instead. If you go back to Autozone, ask for the caliper for a 2009 an you should be good.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
VW goofed on 2010 JSW rear brakes. They put some rear brakes on that take 260mm rotors (replaced with 256mm, just to keep it interesting). Those rear brakes use a caliper with the PN 1K0615523/4 (3 is left, 4 is right). That looks like the one that came off your car.

There is a third rotor size, 232mm. But those are on later sedans, mostly. And in fairness to VW there's a note in ETKA that essentially says they're not sure what rear brakes are on some cars. Best thing to do is measure rotor diameter and go from there. I'd also take a brake pad to the store with you to make sure it fits in the caliper you get.

Dan-o

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Thanks guys I did end up looking it up for a 2009 and notice it's what I needed. Does that mean I have to do the same when ordering pads and rotors?