Battery Replaced now Codes on Display

Alan Drake

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 DSG
Battery was bad on my 2010 Jetta so replaced now dash indicator lights will not go OFF. The traction control, an unknow yellow near tack and green by speedo. Any ideas, VW says go to stealer,

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Battery was bad on my 2010 Jetta so replaced now dash indicator lights will not go OFF. The traction control, an unknow yellow near tack and green by speedo. Any ideas, VW says go to stealer,
Have you tried going for a short drive? After disconnecting battery, lots of lights is normal. Most should go out after a short drive around the block. You should also reset window pinch protection by opening and closing all windows (one at a time works best) and holding the button for a few seconds after the windows reach their stops.

If you still have lights after a drive, it is time to scan the car for fault codes.

Have Fun!

Don

Alan Drake

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 DSG
Thanks Don, sure enough all went back to normal after a while.
I'll do the window pinch shortly, never knew of such - so thanks again
A side note to all - Stealer should have mentioned such!

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Thanks Don, sure enough all went back to normal after a while.
I'll do the window pinch shortly, never knew of such - so thanks again
A side note to all - Stealer should have mentioned such!
The dealer should have said something if you told them you replaced the battery. They were likely pissed you did not bring it in for a X3 cost battery.... MORE LIKELY they don't know their self. Typically all the lights (like traction control) reset driving just a few feet. This is what happened to me:

Dealer did a 40K service, DSG, which requires the batter to be removed. I drove the car a week and could not start it. I called VW road side. 1.5 hours later still no roadside. I got someone to jump me. As soon as I took battery cover off, saw battery cables were not attached, bolts were way loose, not tight. I tightened them and car started. GOOD THING the battery cable did not come clean off in traffic... Car would stop and I could have been hit.....

So with car running, still in park, traction control light was on. I got the manual out and said to get to dealer asap. I called VW dealer.

Talked to the brilliant service manager (sarcasm he knows nothing of cars). I first told him what happened with battery cables. He said how did I know they did it... I knew they did the DSG and knew the battery had to come out... No apology or anything, just denial. So with that, I moved to the next topic, the traction control light.

I said the traction caution light was still on (yellow is caution, red danger, yellow typically does not require immediate action). The VW expert said I could NOT drive it and it MUST be towed. Before I called him I looked at the manual. I pointed out what manual said, that you can drive, but get it looked at soon.

Now I'm pissed they deny the battery cables and the general attitude. I start driving off from the parking spot while still on phone.. The light reset right away. I told him the light resets after driving. Thanks for your help I said, and I hung up....

Dealer was totally useless, did slip shot work, was ignorant and had an attitude. Thanks VW dealer. After another major dealer screw up (telling me I needed a new engine when I did not) I vowed to never return. I have been successful. I always did my own maintenance, but if it is more than I want to do, I use an independent VW/Audi/Porsche shop. Dealer is just awful.

Last edited:

Alan Drake

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 DSG
Sorry if I mislead anyone on install - I did the work. When calling VW on lights was told it would need a reset from Dealer Service Dept.
Last DSG service (80K) was told a rear spring was broken, hangers were cracked, and alternator belt was showing cracks. So replaced alternator belt, yes some cracks were showing and it was original so about time.
Still have not found the broken spring or cracked hangers, oh I have a lift so simple to inspect. Well the court finally ruled on the TDI enhancement (aka problem) - hope I can find a 2016 diesel