Really hard starts

edman007

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
So my 2012 Golf is having a lot of trouble starting, and it's not particularly cold out. Anyways, the symptoms are in the morning when I start it cranks and cranks, the engine sounds like it's turning over just fine, but it simply doesn't start. I always wait for the glow plug light to go out before cranking too. This morning I was cranking it for maybe 3 seconds, and flip it off and on three times before I could get it to start. It was 63'F this morning. Also, I really haven't had any issues starting it in the afternoon, even though it's only 65'F and has been sitting for 8+ hours.

Once I start it, I can turn it off and restart it with zero problems. It's still the original battery (which I'm thinking may be needed to changed before winter really hits) and I believe VW replaced a glow plug about 10k ago, and I want to keep the car for another 10-15k mi before doing the buyback. Currently has 64k on it. It's been doing this for the last week or so, but I want to say the last 3 months it's been progressively getting worse (with three months ago I started noticing it didn't start instantly, maybe took 1 second of cranking, then went to 2 seconds of cranking maybe once every other week, this may have tracked temperature though).

Does this sound like bad glow plugs? Could it be the battery going? I have zero lights/indicators telling me something is wrong. Is there something else that could be doing this?

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
I don't think glow plugs do anything above 40'F. I doubt it's your battery either since the car is only 4 years old. FWIW
I'm not the expert but sounds like the fuel filter or it's seals might be allowing the air into the line and fuel to slip back away from the injectors?
Somebody sharper than me will chime in to correct me soon I think. :)
Meanwhile some searches might help you

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I'm leaning towards an air-in-fuel or a low fuel pressure problem (from a bad lift pump).