Intermittent P0401 EGR Code

TNriverjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6MT
Thanks Chadwick... Good info

I'm having a hard start problem with no MIL codes. I'm going to start with cleaning the MAF. I may also have a weak battery as the original is still in there at 93K miles.

I'm sure hoping this whole EGR/DPF gremlin isn't starting to take over...

98mkiv

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
So the oil filter is under the large black cap next to the EGR valve. What is the similar black cap under the motor?

98mkiv

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Ok, back on the EGR code. I got under the car and took off the back pressure valve (valve in the middle of the exhaust after the DPF and cat). Looked and functioned fine. I put it back on and reinstalled it and left it unplugged so I could actuate it by hand. I noticed that with the car running and actuating it manually, I could make a very noisy leak happen. Turns out the EGR filter V-Band was leaking, so I tightened it (no luck) then removed it and added a little RTV between the flanges and now it's seale dup tight. still no love - have the EGR code still -very odd since with this kind of leak I thought for sure I had it. It was a very loud leak.

98mkiv

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
little more info:

If I reset the code, the code will come back as soon as I power cycle. In other words, I an reset the code and drive 600 miles and it won't come. Shut off the car and re-start it and go and it comes right on. Like it's doing a one time check at startoff each time. I need to check all the valves and electrical connections now. I'm out of big stuff. Next thing is the EGR filter, but I don't have a lot of hope in that and it's $200 to get one...

Any ideas and/or a diagram with locations of these valves, etc would be appreciated.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Isn't the ERG covered by an extended warranty now? Thought it went to 120K miles.

98mkiv

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI

looking at the image I have tested or checked:

throttle valve
HP egr valve (very clean - actuates fiine)
air filter (very clean)
MAF (clean)
exhaust valve (clean - actuates fine)

I still need to check:
EGR cooler valve
EGR cooler

Anyone have a guide to finding the EGR cooler valve and how to R&R the valve and cooler on my 2010?

Thanks

98mkiv

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Isn't the ERG covered by an extended warranty now? Thought it went to 120K miles.

EGR flap is....? can you tell me where on that diagram the EGR flap is? I have asked a few times and no one can tell me. Would love to see a picture of it. If it's the valve after the NOX storage cat (called exhaust valve) mine seems to work fine.

Last edited:

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
It's labeled exhaust valve on the image above.

dubidoobs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 "Facelifted" JSW 6MT | 04/2010 Build Date
Had to bring this thread back to life again, as I got the EGR code for the second time - I recall already having this replaced under warranty some few thousand miles ago.

Can anyone confirm the mileage for the "extended" warranty is 120k?

I hope so coz I have 90K+ now.

Conrad -JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW DSG
Had to bring this thread back to life again, as I got the EGR code for the second time - I recall already having this replaced under warranty some few thousand miles ago.

Can anyone confirm the mileage for the "extended" warranty is 120k?

I hope so coz I have 90K+ now.
I'm waiting on parts for the replacement of my EGR valve now. According to the service manager at Pugi VW, the EGR does NOT have any sort of extended warranty, the exhaust flapper does though.

dubidoobs

Veteran Member
TDI
The DPF is cracked. The EGR issue is a symptom of the problem, not THE problem.

Yep was ready for the inevitable.
EGR going bad and ending up ****ing up the DPF...VW said I'm out of warranty but I finally got to ise the aftermarket "service warranty" I rolled into the finance. Just paid $100 deductible and 3hrs of my life and I was on my way...

X2 for me Looking into DPF delete

Sent from my Star-Tac using an iPhone5 through Tapatalk by way of my Nokia 3600

dubidoobs

Veteran Member
TDI
I was starting to smell a bit 'o soot at startup

Sent from my Star-Tac using an iPhone5 through Tapatalk by way of my Nokia 3600

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
No, you have it the other way around. The EGR system never "went bad", the DPF cracked internally, and caused soot to get into the EGR system, where it promptly clogged up the EGR filter/catalyst tube. Like I said, the EGR fault is a symptom, not the root cause. The DPF cracked all on its own.

dubidoobs

Veteran Member
TDI
No, you have it the other way around. The EGR system never "went bad", the DPF cracked internally, and caused soot to get into the EGR system, where it promptly clogged up the EGR filter/catalyst tube. Like I said, the EGR fault is a symptom, not the root cause. The DPF cracked all on its own.
That was the Service Writer's quote, but thank you for the clarification.

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
Just ordered an EGR filter (bottom side of engine near EGR cooler) and will have it installed, this thread contains helpful information on the infamous p0401, hoping to delay a DPF job. The High Pressure EGR valve near top of engine was removed by my mechanic and still looked ok, just sooty.

konyip

TDI
2009 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI with DSG
I had the P0401 code on my 2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI as well. I just replaced the EGR filter and the code went away immediately. It also seems to drive better as well.

This doesn't deal with the underlying problem of a cracked DPF, but these filters are pretty cheap and easy to replace (3 bolts - 2 easy ones on bottom. 1 hard one that you have to slowly wrench off from the top reaching past the turbo)

If you are looking for the EGR filter part, it is #12 on the following parts page. It is called a "[ 12 ] EXHAUST SYSTEM / EXHAUST SYSTEM / MANIFOLD / Tube - Part Number: 1K0253120" I got it for about $130 at my local dealership, Volkswagen Kearny Mesa. You'll want to get a #15 gasket too, but not needed.

http://www.parts.vw.com/parts/2009/Volkswagen/Jetta/TDI?siteid=9&vehicleid=206828&diagram=9278745

My old EGR filter could not be blown through by mouth, whereas the new one was free flowing.

I'll try to update this post when the new EGR filter fails and starts to throw the P0401.
Replaced: 7/11/15
Failed again at: ??

oilhammer

TDI
From my experience they last about six months. Then keep in mind the whole time the DPF is passing soot, it is also clogging up the $2200 catalyst. :)

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
So at around $200-250 every 6 months a year for an egr filter that will clog the cat eventually compared to a new dpf that should last a long time if operating correctly it seems like just replacing the egr filter is a way more expensive way to go.

oilhammer

TDI
I would scout and purchase good used take offs. Lots of people thumb their nose at Federal law and remove the stuff, even if it is in good working order. That is what we usually install on 2009 cars pretty much exclusively.

I wish the stuff was tougher, longer lasting, easier to replace, and not as costly. Every day pretty much at our shop galvanizes my decision to keep my older PD and VE TDIs roadworthy indefinitely, as well as save as many of those cars from doom as I possibly can. It is getting harder and harder to be a Volkswagen fan. :(

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
Sure is getting harder to be a VW diesel fan. Everything on them is toooo costly and not very reliable. Cheaper to own a gasser over all.

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
The warranty is not long enough on the diesels. If it is in fact 120 thousand, still not long enough. They most likely go when pass warranty.
I would never now recommend a VW diesel to anyone. They are not worth the head ack and cost. They are a waste of money and time. The ALH diesels were the bast of them and after the ALH they just got worse with each year passing.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
The warranty is not long enough on the diesels. If it is in fact 120 thousand, still not long enough. They most likely go when pass warranty.
I would never now recommend a VW diesel to anyone. They are not worth the head ack and cost. They are a waste of money and time. The ALH diesels were the bast of them and after the ALH they just got worse with each year passing.
Even with the camshaft problems on the BEW, I love mine. If I could buy another one, I wouldn't think twice about it.

My CR was a PITA until I removed all the emissions crap. I don't miss getting P0401 codes whatsoever (happened more than once for me before I said goodbye DPF, hello Malone Stage 3.5).

oilhammer

TDI

I have no use for warranties. I void them right away, so it wouldn't make a hill of beans difference if it was 10 years or 10 minutes.